Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

April 12th, 2011 10:00

Is it possible to use two Config.xml configurations for a single CB farm?

Hi,

I'm wondering someone can help me on this problem. I am using vWorkspace 7.1 MR1 and need to have the ability to implement varied global settings on a single connection broker farm (if possible!).

For example I have a development environment and a production environment which I am trying to cater for. The development environment needs to be relaxed (copy, paste, pinned connection bar etc.) and the production environment needs to be locked down so only a limited subset of these features are available? Is there any way of achieving this on a single farm?

Currently I have two separate farms with the autoconnecturl pulling back two config.xml files from a web server.

The ideal position I would like to get to is where the Config.xml file specifies settings for either the managed desktop group pool individually or globally across the whole farm. Having these options would be ideal.

101 Posts

April 12th, 2011 12:00

Hi Nisit,

You could try using the following client side registry key for the which will force AppPortal to look for a set URL and filename.

HKLM\Software\Provision Networks\Provision-IT Client

Value: AutoConnectURL

Type: REG_SZ

Data: http://www.domain.com/Config2.xml

Regards

Paul

9 Posts

April 12th, 2011 12:00

Hi Paul,

I have this implemented currently but the situation which i would like to get to is where i only have one CB farm. It seems like a high overhead to run a complete seperate farm simply for wanting to alter the global settings slightly. Currently the AutoconnectURL is set by policy and defines the two addresses:

HKLM\Software\Provision Networks\Provision-IT Client

Value: AutoConnectURL

Type: REG_MULTI_SZ

Data: http://www.domain.com/Config2.xml

http://www.domain.com/config1.xml

Both CB farms use the same vCentre, Connection Broker Servers, and are joined to the same domain.

101 Posts

April 12th, 2011 13:00

Nisit,

Whare are the differences in the settings?

Paul

9 Posts

April 12th, 2011 13:00

Paul,

The main differences we want between the environments (connection settings) are:

Development Environment: Display Connection bar, Pin Connection Bar, Clipboard, possibly monitor spanning

Production Environment: None of the above

The rest of the settings are all the same across both Config.xml files

101 Posts

April 12th, 2011 14:00

Ok just checking if we could do any of the settings via Connection Policies but the only one is the Clipboard.  So when connecting to the different environments do you use the same client device or a separate set of devices for each?

9 Posts

April 12th, 2011 14:00

Its the same client device which we are connecting in from which i guess is making it harder but a common use case.

101 Posts

April 13th, 2011 08:00

I don't think there is an easy answer.  The only options I can think of are to simply specify the different config files when setting up between development and production as below.

configxml.PNG

If you are constantly switching between environments then you could try creating two farms in AppPortal with the different settings.  The only disadvantage is I think you would get two farms listed with the same name.  Or maybe you could log into the client device with different profiles/user accounts which intern would have different AppPortal configurations.

9 Posts

April 13th, 2011 10:00

Paul,

I dont think these methods would work for us given that security is high. The first option would allow the end user to make a connection into the back end with which ever experience they define. This would never be allowded as all management of connections is handled by administrators and not users.

The issue with the second option is that if a user has access to multiple desktops they will get presented with the same desktops, with the same farm names but with varying experiences. This can cause quite an inconsistent user experience as users could easily connect through to the wrong desktop. I see service desk calls ramping up on this one!

I'll have to investigate the options further on this one, or leave the implementation as it is with two seperate farms in a single environment. 

No Events found!