Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2010 13:00

Move Vworkspace to a new Virtual Center

I need move my Vworkspace environment to a new Virtual Center.

I suppose that 3 steps below to do this move:

1) Move the Vmware Hosts to new Virtual Center.

2) Add the new Vcenter in Vworkspace Environment.

3) Change the Group of Datacenter Desktops to the new Vcenter.

Have any other stetps to do? What do you think?

27 Posts

Hello Michel,

I know how create a new keystroke file from new Vcenter (I need do this in step 2), my doubt is if the 3 trivial steps are enough to move to new Virtual Center or have other additional trivial step.

Thanks. 

7 Posts

This will not be a trivial change. You will not be able to change your pools if they have VMs in them, even then, you may not be able to change the data center they belong too.

173 Posts

I think that deleting the VMs but not removing them from the virtualization host like depicted in the attachment, would allow you to import then into a newly created managed group that is associated with the new virtual center server and data center.

7 Posts

Suspect you will need to remove all your VMs from vWorkspace, then do the steps above, then import them all back in...

101 Posts

I agree with Mike, you may also find that you need to delete and recreate the computers groups.  If this is true then you will defiantly need to remove the VMs from their groups.first.

173 Posts

Be sure you also create a new keystore file. This is unique per VC.

Do you know how to do this?

27 Posts

September 24th, 2010 16:00

All sugestions from the group was very usefull, I think found the correct steps now:

1) Remove computers from vworkspace inventory (don´t select the option "Delete the virtual machines from respective...")

2) Delete the Computers Group from Vworkspace

3) Move the Vmware Hosts to new Virtual Center.

4) Add the new Vcenter in Vworkspace Environment.(create a new keystroke file from new Vcenter)

5) Create the new Computer Group with the new Vcenter configuration

6) Import the computers from new Vcenter.

I will plan this change, when conclude i will post the results here.

Thanks a lot.

22 Posts

September 27th, 2010 12:00

Just to mention that as you will probably need to add more vm's to the new vcenter environment be sure to update your sysprep script to accomodate any changes to the new environmenet.

1 Message

February 4th, 2013 12:00

Hi David,

The link you provided doesn't seem to link to the document.

Is a migration from a vcenter 4.1 server to a new server running vcenter 5.1 supported? Are the steps mentioned above valid for this migration?

Thank you,

Erik

228 Posts

February 4th, 2013 13:00

Hi Erik,

The document in the earlier post has been removed from our knowledgebase since it is no longer a valid solution. The process worked well in earlier versions of VMware vCenter, however, we found that changes in the more recent versions meant that this process could cause errors.

Please note that vWorkspace 7.6 supports VMware upto version 5.0, with version 5.1 currently unsupported.The next release of vWorkspace, version 8.0, will support VMware 5.1 - at this time we are aware of a couple of issues due to changes made by VMware in 5.1.

Best Regards

David

No Events found!