Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

October 19th, 2010 06:00

Persistency of users data

Hi all,

I'm now playing with VWorkspace for a while and despite all the feature present in caparison with competitors, there is still one thing missing, the possibility to create a persistant user disk.

In fact this feature is quite implemented in VWorkspace, playing with persistency option of the disks, I assume if one manage to create a desktop template with 2 disks, one for the system non persistent and one for the users data persistent, the goal would be achieve...

I've not yet found how to create this kind of template..so if on have an idea of how to do so, it should be a great stuff

Regards,

Vinc

180 Posts

October 19th, 2010 07:00

Hi Vinc,

I'm 99.999% positive this is not a feature of vWorkspace...

However..

What is it you need a "user data disk" for exactly?

4 Posts

October 19th, 2010 08:00

Hello,

let me firt explain wat I meen by "user data disk".

If you create a virtual desktop based on a linked clone image, then you update the image and reprovision the desktop, you loose all user data. I'm wrong?

In vworkspace, virtual disk can be set as persistant or not, so i can imagine that if we can create an image with 2 disks, the C: that could be affected by snapshot update and a D: with user data (appdata, profile, etc..) not affected by update, this could be a great enhancement.

Regards,

Vinc

173 Posts

October 19th, 2010 10:00

…and in addition to Paolo’s comment, what would happen if you move to another virtual desktop? What is you do not want to save the whole user profile but only parts of it?

How would you like to deal with that with just a ‘user disk’?

27 Posts

October 19th, 2010 10:00

Hello Vincent,

For user data you can use Folder Redirection GPO option of Active Directory mix with Quest Metaprofiles IT. With these features enabled you can safe the data user in a File Server and the user settings in the Metaprofiles IT.

4 Posts

October 19th, 2010 11:00

Hi all,

I perfectly agree with you Mr Roth, but imagine that we don't want to setup roaming profile etc.. just provide a personal dedicated desktop, in this case, this could be a great stuff.

Anyway, if this is not possible, of course Metaprofiles IT is great, event better...

173 Posts

October 19th, 2010 11:00

I see your point. So, and I might be polluted ☺, but to me it sounds that settings up a roaming profile or a vWorkspace managed profile is less work than maintaining a user disk for each and every user?

It might work in the beginning but it would seem to me that this would be a management nightmare once your environment grows larger or more complex…

Doesn’t it also render pooled desktops almost impossible to do?

4 Posts

October 20th, 2010 05:00

Goodmorning,

you are completely right, roaming/managed profile is the best way to go...

No Events found!