Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2010 12:00

Personalsied Settings always runs when Meta Profiles is enabled?

Hello,

Does anyone know the registry keys to include or how to stop the profile "Personalised Settings" from running every time a user logs in when Meta Profiles is enabled?

Thanks

Paul

27 Posts

September 30th, 2010 13:00

Remove all "stubpath" regedit entry in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ActiveSetup\Installed Components

See the Microsoft KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238441/en-us

180 Posts

September 30th, 2010 14:00

You may want to leave some in though - Like the themes stubpath.

Dan.

September 30th, 2010 15:00

When I build a new VM Template or Terminal Server I search this key for any stubpath values and delete them (the values, not the keys). This knocks about 10-15 seconds off of the logon.

173 Posts

October 1st, 2010 02:00

Right. It does make it a lot faster but be careful removing it without checking. Windows sometimes uses it to update certain Windows settings. For example if you have a profile for a windows desktop and used WMP11. if the VM or TS then gets updated to WMP12, the next time the user logs in Active Setup would update certain settings to WMP12. I think...

180 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 20:00

Another alternative would be to allow it to run once for each user and use the User Profiles section in vWorkspace to capture the Active Setup components.
HKCU\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup
One thing I have noticed doing this is that on subsequent logins the Windows 7 theme reverts to classic!
I’ve tried to capture the following with vWorkspace but with no joy at present.
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes
Not sure what else needs to be captured. I’ve not had a lot of time to play around with this yet. Feel free to shed some light on this if you have already done it
What is odd is that disconnecting the session and resuming will revert to the basic theme and not classic! I've tried setting the logon process type to both Synchronous and Asynchronous but it doesn't make a difference.
Dan.

101 Posts

October 4th, 2010 17:00

Daniel,

I had tried saving HKCU\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup following Paulo response and it did stop most of the personalized running except I think IE.  I suspect however that once you log into a different RDS or Win7 image that it runs again.  I may also have the theme issue you pointed out.  I'll let you know when I have spent more time on it again.

Cheers

180 Posts

October 5th, 2010 05:00

Cool.

I found that I could roam from VDI VM to VDI VM without the active setup components configuring again... It was just the theme issue letting me down.

I've tried using RegShot to capture the change when done manually but it didn't really help.

I don't want to use GPO to force the theme as we want the users to be able to choose.

Cheers,

Dan

14 Posts

October 14th, 2010 11:00

You can assign mandatory profile to users. The only downside of this - difference between XP and Vista/Win7 profiles.

64 Posts

October 14th, 2010 13:00

Here's a helpful TechNet article on the Themes issue:

http://blogs.technet.com/richard_macdonald/archive/2007/08/17/1769692.aspx

180 Posts

October 14th, 2010 14:00

Hi Jon,

Cool link... If I get chance before next week I'll look into it and post the outcome. Going to IPEXPO so not much time!

Cheers,

Dan.

180 Posts

October 14th, 2010 20:00

Ok.... The "workaround" in that URL works when done manually on a Windows 7 machine (not tried RDS yet). So I'm confident that we can get the required result with vWorkspace. I just need to figure the best way to allow the user to be able to change the theme without it reverting back to the one we specify as default on the next login.

Maybe have the login script only run IF THEME = CLASSIC? I can't imagine any users would purposely choose the classic theme?

Feel free to share ideas?

Dan.

29 Posts

October 14th, 2010 21:00

I also use AUTORUNS for sysinternals (http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip) to search and turn off any unwanted auto-executes from my template.

No Events found!