Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2011 13:00

Unattended install of server extensions on a terminal server

Hi all,

Michel posted this: http://communities.quest.com/community/vworkspace/blog/2010/12/16/vworkspace-72-feature-spotlight-completely-new-product-installer/

Which is great, but i would like to perform an unattended install of the server extensions at the end of a SCCM2007 task sequence that installs a terminal server.

Can anybody help me in finding the right command line arguments for this?

thanks in advance....

33 Posts

February 21st, 2011 12:00

OK, here's the solution:

What happens is that the setup also install a couple of prereqs. An update Windows6.0-KB958655-v2-x86.msu and DotNet 3.5. These both need a reboot.

SCCM starts the setup. It starts the installs of the prereqs and reboots. SCCM does not know about these reboots and does not continue afterwards . Thats why i dont have the log file Michel talks about earlier in this thread.

I've created separate packages for both prereqs. SCCM takes care of the reboots and continues with the next step. When started now setup.exe notices these prereqs have been installed already and simply starts the msi with all the switches for finding SQL, database, etc.

33 Posts

February 16th, 2011 07:00

Well..

I've downloaded wise package studio (30 day trail) and created an .mst file for the "Quest vworkspace.msi"

msiexec /i "Quest vworkspace.msi" TRANSFORMS=vWorkspace72.mst /qn reboot=reallysuppress works fine

Still, i'd like to have a TS installation without the need for an .mst file so the question still stands

February 16th, 2011 12:00

Hello Paul,

We recieved a similar question last week by one of our partners. They solved it with the following syntax without the need of the transform.

When you add a server to an existing Farm (DBOPTION=1) you do not need the properties SAUSERNAME=\"SA\"  and SAPASSWORD=\"welkom01\"
This is the working syntax and it is just like described in the Install guide without the need of the workaround:

setup.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=Core,MC,TS DBOPTION=1 SQLSERVERNAME=\"sql02\" DATASOURCENAME=\"S01 vWorkspace Database\" DATABASENAME=\"S01_vWorkspace_Database\" SQLLOGINACCOUNT=\"pnadmin01\" SQLLOGINPASSWORD=\"welkom123!\""

Is this what you are looking for ?

Dennis

33 Posts

February 16th, 2011 13:00

Dennis, thanks.

Looks like a good option. Going to try tomorrow.

Shame about the open passwords

Let you know the reults.

February 16th, 2011 14:00

Hello Paul,

I received the following suggestion from a colleague regarding open passwords, he used it in the past:

EncryptedAdminPassword
Enables Setup to install encrypted passwords for the Administrator account.
Syntax
EncryptedAdminPassword = Yes | No
Values
Yes
Instructs Setup to install the encrypted Administrator account password.
No
Instructs Setup to keep the Administrator account password as clean text.
Default Value
No
Example
EncryptedAdminPassword = Yes
Comments
To encrypt your Administrator passwords, use Setup Manager on the Windows OPK CD (in Tools) and in Deploy.cab.
Important
  • If you use this key to install an encrypted Administrator password during an unattended installation, Setup disables Autologon.

http://itk.samfundet.no/dok-filer/ms-xp-sp2-deployment-ref/u_guiunattended.htm#autologon

please let me know the results...

Dennis

29 Posts

February 16th, 2011 14:00

Paul,

As a follow-up, for unattended RDS installs, I include SetupComplete.cmd in the c:\windows\setup\scripts folder to perform the role and feature configurations immediately after sysprep. Regardless of the execution vehicle, the following will install the RDHS role and setup .NET and turn on Desktop Experience:

REM ----------------------------

SERVERMANAGERCMD -i RDS-RD-SERVER NET-Framework-Core Desktop-Experience IH-Ink-Support -restart

REM ----------------------------

Because my RDS servers do not normally have the SQLExpress database, I use the following cmdline to setup just the vWokspace RDS role:

REM ----------------------------------------------

c:\vWorkspace\vworkspace\setup.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=Core,MC,TS DBOPTION=4 REBOOT=\"ReallySuppress\""

REM ----------------------------------------------

The DBOPTION=4 performs no database functions so the RDS server will have to be manually added to the vWorkspace console. You can also automate creation of the ODBC DSN. The simplest way is to grab the appropriate registry entries from the broker or other configured server already talking to the databse and push these into the RDS registry with regedit such as:

REM -----------------------

start /wait regedit.exe /s c:\windows\setup\scripts\odbc.reg

REM -----------------------

33 Posts

February 17th, 2011 12:00

OK, this works from the (elevated) command line.

SCCM2007 is willing to perform this but without any errors after a couple of minutes it simply reboots and nohing has been installed. I'm running this as a command line step in a task sequence. (used the suggestion Derek made, withou the reboot=reallysuppress)

Now i will try to put all these arguments in a program and create a package of the vWorkspace folder. See how that turns out. This way SCCM will be forced to wait until the installation has completed..

Let you know tomorrow

33 Posts

February 18th, 2011 08:00

no matter what i do in SCCM, it keeps failing.

exactly 9 minutes after the install starts i get a "command line completed with exit code 0". All the wile i monitor CPU and it is doing something, its not sitting idle simply witing for a time out. Wether i use a package or just a run command line makes no difference.

if i run the setup by hand from the command line it works like a charm

I'l post this in a microsoft SCCM forum, see if anyone there has any suggestions.

Thanks for the command lin switches!

33 Posts

February 18th, 2011 09:00

Is there a way to let setup.exe generate logging during the process?

29 Posts

February 18th, 2011 12:00

Paul,

The complete installation of roles followed by vWorkspace requires rebooting the server. I use autoadminlogin and setup a follow-on script to continue the installation with something like this:

REM ----------------------------------------------------
Start /wait C:\Windows\system32\reg.exe add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce /v FIRST /t REG_SZ /d c:\windows\setup\scripts\second.cmd /f
REM  ---------------------------------------------------

If you're installing the RDS role with servermanagercmd, the -restart will terminate the installation sequence with a reboot so that the role can be configured. I resume the second.cmd where the vWorkspace installation picks-up and completes. I'm not certain how you are performing these tasks but it sounds like you may need to provide follow-on scripting...

173 Posts

February 18th, 2011 12:00

After a failed install check c:\windows for vWorkspace_Installation.log .

33 Posts

February 18th, 2011 13:00

Sorry, not present. searched entire Computer but it simply isn't there
Maybe thats a hint to what the problem might be...

I've added a "/l*v C:\temp\vworkspace.log" switch to the command line and now i hav a huge logfile generated by the msi

so far i have not found anything useful in there though

33 Posts

i use this in a SCCM task sequence. If the setup induces a reboot, SCCM might not pick up the rest of the task sequence. I supress the reboot and force one later on from SCCM so it can continue with the rest of the sequence (installing applications etc)
BTW, if you perform this manually from the command line you can see the vWorkspace Console icon appear just before the reboot, and that doesn't happen either when i run the task sequence

33 Posts

O, thats what you mean.. Sorry.

The step in which i try to install the server extensions comes after the servers roles of RDS, desktop experiance etc have been fully configured. There is an MDT step in the sequence that provides the reboots afterwards as well.
To be on the safe side i have now put in an extra reboot just before the extensions are installed.
See how that works out...

29 Posts

That's the issue... vWorkspace won't install the RDS components unless the server is a RDS/TS server. Without the reboot, the role isn't configured to allow vWorkspace to install... That's why I configure a follow-on sequence with several autoadminlogons following the necessary reboots... Can SCCM provide reboot - follow-on processing? I'll try to query some of our SCCM resources and see what options exist....

No Events found!