Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 23rd, 2016 08:00

v_Workspace Home Lab

I want to learn Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI). Can someone point me in the right direction?
I have a core i7 with 32GB of Ram and VMware workstation.
What can be combined into a small footprint?

February 25th, 2016 10:00

vWorkspace requires a vCenter server if you are running in a VMware environment. I would recommend grabbing a trial copy of Server 2012 R2 from Microsoft, installing Hyper-V, then creating your vWorkspace servers on that. 

Unfortunately, installing a hypervisor in a hypervisor (Hyper-V in VMware Workstation) is not supported so you will need to install it as your base operating system on whatever hardware you use. (There are workarounds for this, but performance takes a huge hit.)

I would recommending going here to get some basic information. 

March 13th, 2016 10:00

Its a decent configuration, if I were you I would do the following;

Install ESXi to act as master host for your lap.

Create all VMs required for #vWorkspace Lap. You will need at least two for each role, 2 WebServers, 2 Brokers, 2 Application Servers, 2 SQL Cluster & 1 vCenter, ideally this setup for high availability to run each server role in a dedicated host.

Start by building up a SQL Cluster.

Install the #vWorkspace management console.

Install Web Servers

Install Brokers

Install Application Servers with RDS Terminal roles to apply TS licences.

Launch the wizard and add all of the servers for each role.

Then start playing around with this configuration.

Hope it helps.

March 13th, 2016 11:00

Just forget to mention a load balancing virtual appliance to take Care of balancing the sessions, applications and broker connection as well as the web traffic.

Zen NLB is free and #vWorkspace created a supporting document for the installation and configuration of Zen NLB.

Enjoy vWorkspacing and any help, the community is available.

Regards,

No Events found!