Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2016 18:00

vW 8.5 Profile Persistence

Hi all, having a problem with saving profiles when logging off.

I cant really tell what triggers this, but 50% of the time someone logs off, the profile doesn't get copied back to the server. So basically the .gbl file doesn't get updated and they lose any changes made since the last login.

I first noticed it when creating profiles, and pinning things to the start bar / or Outlook profiles were disappearing after I logged off a user. 

I've had times where I would log in for 10 minutes and just create an outlook profile, right up to users staying logged in for 5 days at a time. It doest look like its a time related thing, as all of these circumstanced have suffered from the .gbl file not updating.

One thing I have noticed is the VM can take quite a while to log off (once the user hits the log off button). Minutes, so possibly something is timing out and failing?

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction for troubleshooting this?

Thanks,

Nathan

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

May 11th, 2016 19:00

Hi Hussain, I wasn't able to resolve, but I was able to alleviate it a little bit by changing the frequency of copying the profile back to the server.

It was originally set to happen on log off, I changed this to every 2 hours. When setting up a user, I still get the odd missing settings I've just changed, however, with this setting changed, I would consider a 2hr loss of profile info is acceptable, as it will only be settings or something non-critical. Folder redirection handles everything else.

Thanks,

Nathan

April 1st, 2016 03:00

Hi Nathan,

Take a look in the application eventlog on the RDSH/VDI. Is there a message from the User Profile Service (Normally a yellow warning) moaning that something was still in use? 

At around the same time, you'll see an informational message from pnmpts telling you the size of the GBL is wrote back.

Compare it to the size of the actual GBL to confirm if the VM cut it short or if the MP server itself lost the changes

What size GBL are we talking about here ? The larger they get, the more likely it is for a failure due to running out of time. Also, it can be someone elses massive profile, logging off a different machine at the same time, that stops even a little one writing correctly if you're unlucky.

Might be worth raising an SR with us to take you through the troubleshooting steps.

Thanks, Andrew.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

April 3rd, 2016 17:00

Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply. If our VMs are non-persistent, am I able to still get to the logs?

The GBL files arent that large, this problem can happen when I'm creating a profile, (configuring Outlook, pinning things to the start bar)

Looking at the list og GBL files on the server, they range from 997kb up to 9MB.

Thanks,

Nathan

April 4th, 2016 07:00

Hi Nathan,

Been into this when I created my User Profile configuration. What you can do...

Use a fresh user.. possible you can create one. Place it in an OU which doesn't have any MS GPO ( make sure blocking inheritance enabled)

Configure #vWorkspace Profile policy, one at a time. Such as start with Internet Explorer, Favorites, etc..

If it works fine, apply Desktop. And observe how it goes. Make sure also the user which you are trying with is not associated with any other Policies in vWorkspace.

I managed to nail down to a GPO being applied from AD which somewhat conflicting with vWorkspace policies.

Hope it helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Hussain

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

April 6th, 2016 00:00

Hi Hussain, I will go through this and see if any GPOs are causing the issue.

Andrew, what is the best way to contact support?  I have a few other questions that I'm sure will be pretty easy for them to answer.

Thanks,

Nathan

April 7th, 2016 21:00

Hi Nathan,

Just curious to know if you have resolved this issue...

Regards,

Hussain

June 13th, 2016 01:00

No Events found!