Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2010 10:00

vWorkspace Connector for Mac OS X not working on 10.6.x (Snow Leopard)?

We cannot get the vWorkspace Connector for Mac OS X v7.0 to work on OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), we only have it working on OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

We have installed the Snow Leopard version of the client on several Snow Leopard systems (inc a brand new MacBook with 10.6.5) but could not get the vWorkspace client to work on any of them. From what we can see it seems to be

either a 64-bit problem or a problem with the version of the X11 software that comes pre-installed with Snow Leopard.

It might be related to this thread:http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/virtualization/vworkspace/f/4827/t/19551512#1903

Can someone tell me if this is indeed a known issue and if so, if Quest already has a fix or workaround? If not, do they have an ETA on when a fix will be available?

53 Posts

November 30th, 2010 18:00

For new fresh installs/pre-installs of Snow Leopard you do not need to install X.11 - its pre-installed and a default installation option. Weve just tested that here with a new Mac which arrived from Apple and that proved to be the case.

However, I was speaking to one of our partners about this and he commented that he has seen varying behaviour with upgrades to Snow Leopard where X.11 was not installed as part of the upgrade process, but he had not seen this behaviour on new installs. Its certainly something that we should review and revisit during the next release cycle to see exactly what the behaviour is and document it appropriately.

November 19th, 2010 12:00

You'll find that you do need to install X11 and the documentation is incorrect.

98 Posts

December 4th, 2010 23:00

Better yet, get rid of the X11 component altogether and re-write the app portal client for MAC

I was able to use the x11 config posted on the forums to auto close X11, but I still have a black cursor and when clicking on an application you get no progress information until it starts to actually load...until then its a guessing game as far as users are concerned if its doing anything.

53 Posts

December 6th, 2010 13:00

You raise a good point, and moving away from the X11 dependency is an architectural change that we want to and should make, however we have some more ground work to do before we can provide any further information about when or how we may do this – watch this space!

98 Posts

December 6th, 2010 14:00

I'm happy with that response...its a recognised issue and is being looked at..which is good enough for me

December 7th, 2010 10:00

Keith,

Thank you for your response. We'll keep our eyes and ears peeled for any news. I'll "award" you with a "correct answer" to inform other interested people.

We're currently using Web Access to connect, and have also raised a support ticket to invesitgate this matter further. We tried using the app portal, with the same results as you Mark, and further elaborated on in this (http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/virtualization/vworkspace/f/4827/t/19551512#1903) thread. I'll update when we recieve more information

53 Posts

December 7th, 2010 15:00

Thanks Marc!

A support ticket is a good way forward also as then it helps ensure that Quest can track and feedback to development the issues that you encounter.

35 Posts

March 28th, 2011 14:00

Any updates on the black mouse cursor issue or possible (manual?) workaround?

Thanks!

53 Posts

March 28th, 2011 14:00

Hi Laurens,

The black cursor fix is being resolved in our next release (version 7.2) targeted for release in Q2. We are targeting a beta release towards the end of April.

Thanks

-Keith

53 Posts

March 29th, 2011 17:00

Yes, the ALT key not working in certain combinations is a known issue - again, this is another issue that will be resolved in the 7.2 release.

Thanks

-Keith

35 Posts

Thanks for your quick reply.

Any (manual) workaround possible until then?

35 Posts

Thanks!

We're also running in some keyboard translation issues. We're using US-International on both Mac and VDI but ALT-Z does not work. Any ideas on this?

53 Posts

March 29th, 2011 18:00

I'm afriad not, this involves a code change on our side to do this.

Thanks

-Keith

No Events found!