Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2014 12:00

vWorkspace & Windows Explorer

Hi All,

I have a little issue with a managed application that is available from our quest management 7.6 install. Basically the application is just a simple one that runs c:\Windows\explorer.exe and has an arguement to a UNC path / mapped drive letter.

My issue is, it works fine with just this one particular user but for no one else. I cannot for the life of me work it out. Any other application I publish for a user works fine. Its configured for access from an vWorkspace Connector via web browser.

Any help with this would be great. PS i believe this has only happened since we upgraded to 7.6.

I can provide screen shots or more information if needed.

Thanks Buddy.

14 Posts

April 3rd, 2014 14:00

Hi Buddy,

The published explorer.exe is the same as published Desktop, so you can't use this method. Can you please check this KB article and see if it applies?

https://support.software.dell.com/vworkspace/kb/58315

25 Posts

February 25th, 2014 02:00

Hi Buddy,

Can you tell me what happens when another user tries to launch the same application, do you get an error or does it do nothing?

Thanks

Kevin

228 Posts

February 25th, 2014 09:00

Hi Buddy, If the application is working for one user but not others you may want to try opening Explorer without the argument, and browsing to the same UNC/mapped drive path to verify those users have access. Also if you are using a mapped drive letter then launch a full session as the user and verify that the drive is mapping correctly for them. Do you know if only one user is working or is it their computer, can you have another user log-in to the working computer, or try the working user on another computer, let us know what you find. Thanks, David

February 25th, 2014 11:00

It will bring up the start 'application name' window. If you click details you can see it apply computer settings, preparing desktop. Then it will disappear.

Even if it take a copy of the user it does work with and create a new one in AD. Nothing changes.

If i logon with a straight up RDC connection to a desktop it works fine. The user has access and there are no issues. I have tried a UNC and mapped drive letter.

Even if i take a copy of the user it does work with and create a new one in AD. Nothing changes.

Just very odd!!

228 Posts

Hi Buddy, What a strange issue you are having! The difference with the straight forward RDP connection is that you are connecting to a full remote desktop and then launching Windows Explorer as an application. With the vWorkspace connection you are launching a seamless application which can sometimes hide errors and result in different behaviour. I assume this is a connection to an RDSH/TS not a VDI, in which case can you check the Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration tool, under Admin tools. In the properties check the Environment settings, make sure you have 'Run initial program specified by user profile and Remote Desktop connection or client' selected and not the 'Do not allow initial program to be launched; always show desktop' Is the working user a member of the local administrators group on the server? You also say any other published application works fine, are these hosted from the same server? If this doesn't help then I would suggest you open a support case so we can assist further with the debug. David

4 Posts

February 27th, 2014 11:00

Hello Buddy,

You stated that the application works fine for one particular user but does not work fine for anybody else. That one particular user is he by chance using a lower color bit format? For example using a 16 bit AppPortal color scheme as opposed to a 32bit? I have seen in the past issues where a lower color bit format provides a better or stable 3rd party application process as opposed to a higher bit.

Thanks.

February 27th, 2014 11:00

Hi All,

Excuse me for the delay in getting back to you all. I shall be looking into this some more today with all your ideas and questions in mind and will post something up later this afternoon. Currently solving a NAT is for a colleague! :)

Thank you all for your help so far.

March 4th, 2014 12:00

Morning Everyone,

So i have done some investigating with regards to the ideas you all raised. I had no luck. Run initial program specified by user profile and remote desktop connection or client is selected.

The box is a 2008R2 TS server. From what I have gathered from the guys in the office (i am new here) is that this issue has only started occurring since they upgraded from vWorkspace version 7.1 to 7.6.

I have been through again and double checked user comparisons and cannot see any differences.
The users all have access to the directory that explorer should load into as when on a desktop session the drive is mapped and the user can work out of it. I currently have the application running Firefox just so that they can get to the directories to open documents without having to go into a desktop session.

What is the best way to open a support case to have some additional help? I think that may be my next move. Unless you guys have some more ideas? If you need anymore information just ask.

March 4th, 2014 14:00

Ok another update. I removed the argument of the mapped drive letter today to see where that takes me. The argument literally was just P:\. When i remove the argument it will just open up an RDC connection and present a desktop session. This happens for both live and test users. So there is a similarity with experience from the application when there is no argument present.

The when its in there, for the any users other than test it will show 'starting Archives' and then disappear. When you click details you can see it going through the windows login process.

Now to me this would seem a permissions issue but i cannot see anything that would ring alarm bell. I have changed the argument to the users home directory and still no joy. :emotion-6:

March 6th, 2014 06:00

Hi Buddy,

The other posters will kick themselves when they read this and remember how easy it is!

:emotion-11:

You need to publish the app as content on server and then set it to the P: drive (or UNC or what have you)

This will then open the p: drive in explorer

Yes, it is that easy.

Thanks, Andrew.

March 23rd, 2014 21:00

Hey Andrew,

Tried your suggestion, it didnt make any difference. :emotion-6: Its started to consume me so i have left this issue alone for a few weeks. Tomorrow i plan to look into it a little further so. Is there anything else i can try.

I don't know if this is of any significance but this error only occurs on this box and only since we upgraded Quest.

No Events found!