Enterprise Content Server
Deliver fast response times and help maximize uptime for streaming media and other data-intensive workloads in a high-capacity 2U design.
Respond effectively to data growthThe Dell PowerEdge R740xd2 helps you plan for future growth with large internal storage and cost-efficient drive capacities. Deliver two-socket compute performance with flash and fast networking options to meet streaming demands. Simplify management of large data sets with automated administration and front-serviceable drives. The R740xd2 lets you keep your data safely on-premise with built-in security, even as you scale capacity.
- Video surveillance
- Content delivery network (CDN)
- Microsoft Storage Spaces (S2D) and vSAN
- Microsoft Exchange
Bring compute closer to storageThe R740xd2 addresses increasing capacity and business demands with flexible storage and performance resources in a space-saving design.
- Scale up to 26 3.5” drives (364TB) in a 2U rack server and scale out up to 520 3.5” drives (7.2PB) in a 42U rack.
- Deliver two-socket performance with up to two 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and up to 44 cores.
- Tier data with a combination of 2.5” SSDs and 3.5” HDDs in a hybrid configuration*.
- Help eliminate bottlenecks with fast networking options and up to 16 DIMMS of memory.
- Easily expand with up to 5 PCIe slots.
Streamline management across your data centerReduce the time required to manage mid-to-large scale environments.
- Automate and unify server and internal storage management across your PowerEdge infrastructure with OpenManage Enterprise.
- Rapidly deploy configurations matching unique workload requirements on multiple bare-metal servers.
- Provide full lifecycle management including health status, firmware updates and automated issue resolution.
- Use OpenManage Integrations to manage within VMware vCenter, Microsoft System Center, and BMC Truesight.
- Easily deploy OpenManage Ansible Modules utilizing Red Hat Ansible.
Deliver uptime and data securityFortify server operations with high availability features and a cyber-resilient architecture. Easily protect, detect and recover from cyber attacks with layers of security embedded in every server.
- Minimize disruptions with 24 front-serviceable, hot-swappable, validated drives that offer enterprise-class reliability and extensive warranty options.
- Protect your data or media from theft or unauthorized access with secure passwords, alerts and event logging.
- Help ensure that only authenticated, signed firmware is running on the server including storage drives and RAID controllers.
Dell Technologies offers complete end-to-end services
ProSupport Enterprise SuiteGain the freedom to focus on your business transformation with the support expertise and insights Dell Technologies is known for across the globe. Choose the right support based on the criticality of specific systems with available automated predictive analysis, collaborative third-party assistance and service account management.
ProDeployProDeploy Enterprise Suite helps you get more out of technology starting on day one. Trust our experts to lead deployments from basic hardware installations through planning, configuration and complex integrations. Our complete suite of deployment services and professional certifications helps you achieve business outcomes today and tomorrow.
Training & CertificationEducation Services offers an expansive suite of training services with multiple delivery methods, including instructor-led, self-paced online and virtual instructor-led training. With comprehensive and flexible training programs, we make it easy to ensure your staff has the skills they need to successfully manage and utilize your new technology to its full potential.
ConsultingConsulting services give expert guidance to help you grow, optimize and transform your IT environment at your own pace and budget. We employ a broad range of certified consultants and engineers, backed by program management teams, who can deliver deep technical expertise. We give you the confidence that your project will be done right and on time.
Financing and leasingAcquiring the latest IT solutions shouldn’t be as complicated as running your business. With Dell Financial Services you can finance and purchase in the same place*. It’s quick, it’s easy and most important, it lets you keep the “flow” in your cash flow.
- Up to two 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors with up to 22 cores per processor
- Canonical® Ubuntu® LTS
Microsoft® Windows Server® LTSC with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
- DIMM Speed
Up to 2666MT/s
Memory Module Slots
16 DDR4 RDIMM slots
Supports registered ECC DDR4 DIMMs only
- Internal Controllers
PERC H730P, H330, HBA330
12 Gbps SAS HBA
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem (BOSS):
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 240GB or 480GB
Internal Dual SD Module*
- Cryptographically signed firmware
Silicon Root of Trust
System Lockdown (requires OpenManage Enterprise)
TPM 1.2/2.0, TCM 2.0 optional
- Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC RESTful API with Redfish
OpenManage Power Center
Dell RACADM CLI
Dell Repository Manager
Dell System Update
Dell Server Update Utility
Dell Update Catalogs
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Microsoft® System Center
RedHat® Ansible® Modules
IBM Tivoli® Netcool/OMNIbus
IBM Tivoli® Network Manager IP Edition
Micro Focus® Operations Manager I
- 750W Platinum
750W 240VDC Platinum
1100W 380VDC Platinum
Hot plug power supplies with full redundancy option
Up to 6 hot plugs fans with N +1 redundancy
- Network Options
2 x 1GbE BaseT LOM
2 x 1Gb BaseT
2 x 10GbE SFP+
2 x 10GbE BaseT
2 x 25GbE SFP+
2 x 16Gb Fibre Channel
1 x Dedicated iDRAC direct micro-USB
1 x USB 3.0
1 x iDRAC dedicated LAN
1 x Serial
2 x USB 3.0
1 x VGA
1 x USB 3.0
Up 5 PCIe slots (3 x16 + 2 x4)
1 x VGA
- Optional security bezel
- 2U Rack Server
Dimensions & Weight
- ReadyRails™ sliding rails with optional cable management arm for 4-post racks (optional adapter brackets required for threaded hole racks).
- Choose Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information. Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region.