Affordable, easy-to-use cold-air containment rack
Help improve data center airflow distribution with the Dell™ PowerEdge™ Energy Smart Containment Rack Enclosures — affordable, easily installed, stand-alone cold air cabinets for high density data centers.
- Implement cold air containment easily and cost effectively, one rack at a time, with no impact to facilities.
- Support high-density and cloud-computing installations, up to 25kW of IT equipment at 25°C per rack.
- Improve data center airflow distribution with uniform cooling for IT equipment.
Help lower your data center expenses through efficient cold air distribution with the Dell™ PowerEdge™ Energy Smart Containment Rack Enclosure. It offers integrated containment at the rack, providing uniform cooling for IT equipment in raised floor deployments.
The Energy Smart Rack’s passive cold air distribution system helps:
- Prevent computer-room AC (CRAC) over-provisioning
- Make sure cold air reaches all IT equipment
- Eliminate hot and cold air mixing
- Remove data center hot spots
As a result, Energy Smart Racks can help optimize CRAC capacity for efficient enterprises by efficiently directing the right amount of cold air directly to the IT equipment and helping optimize CRAC utilization.
Simple, cost-effective deployment
Imagine your raised floor data center without curtains or dividers, cross-aisle containment panels or even a traditional hot aisle/cold aisle containment layout at all. Energy Smart Racks enable you to:
- Install rack enclosures one at a time instead of setting up whole pods for aisle containment
- Position each rack directly above a well-ventilated tile to capture cold air directly into a controlled flow environment within the rack enclosure
- Deploy fewer racks since you can increase the density of IT equipment installed in each one
- Build out your data center without impacting facilities such as on-site fire-suppression systems
In addition, the Energy Smart Rack design uses the standard Dell rack frame in standard 42U and 48U heights (40U and 46U of useable internal space, respectively). The 600mm x 1200mm footprint fits on two standard floor tiles. No on-site assembly is required.
Optimal cold-air distribution
Each PowerEdge Energy Smart 4020S (40U) or 4620S (46U) Rack is built to support the right amount of cold air distribution for the IT equipment installed in that specific rack, independent of other racks in the data center.
Passive air management
Innovative front plenum design
Supports high-density deployments
Help save space and expenses while expanding your high-density data center. Energy Smart Racks can help you:
- Decrease the number of racks needed, because efficient cold air distribution enables the installation of up to 32kW of IT equipment at 25°C in each Energy Smart Rack
- Avoid buying even numbers of racks that might sit unused in order to fill rows in cold aisle containment pods
- Forestall the expense of additional CRAC units by consuming only the air required by the IT equipment
- Prevent the need for water or refrigerant for cooling within the rack
Overall, the Energy Smart Rack’s passive air management helps allow your CRAC system to move less air through the floor and directly into the racks instead of over-provisioning air into the whole room.
Infrastructure for the efficient enterprise
Help further improve power management, enhance airflow and ease component mounting with optional Dell accessories, such as a rack fan, an equipment shelf and a 1U KMM (keyboard/monitor/mouse) console.