Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Posts

May 6th, 2020 22:00

Area-51 R2, A14 BIOS, Command Center causing crash upon boot

So I flashed my BIOS couple months ago to A14, and that caused a huge issue to where I had to reinstall Windows 10 entirely. Afterwards, I come to discover that the Alienware Command Center was the culprit. As long as I don't have it installed my computer boots up fine and everything works. If I install Command Center, then the entire computer will freeze at the login screen and reboot repeatedly.Yes I did install the latest Command Center based on my service tag, and I also tried previous versions as well. Anyone have a solution to this?  

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

May 6th, 2020 23:00

First try reset CMOs jumper to clear CMOs settings, so bios is reset to default. then test AWCC again while leaving bios alone.  
another test to do is to first disconnect FIO usb connection to motherboard, then do clean install of Win 10. After OS install, reconnect FIO usb to motherboard, then install AWCC.
bios ver. A14 is old, 2018. It is surprising that it actually causes conflict w AWCC.  If nothing works, consider flash back to older ver. that used to work for you.

May 7th, 2020 06:00

I don't think resetting the CMOS will fix this, as I've took the CMOS battery out and replaced it with a new one but still have the AWCC problem. Is it safe to flash BIOS back without corrupting anything??? If so, where can I download the original BIOS my computer came with? 

where can i find the download for the original bios my alienware came with? the only one i see available for download is the A13. 

Erm,

I'm running a mobo that was from 2014. Do you think downgrading to A13 will still brick me?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

@andrewmezzo wrote:

where can i find the download for the original bios my alienware came with? the only one i see available for download is the A13. 

They only offer A13 or A14.  There's always risk downgrading BIOs, especially too far back, of bricking the pc. For example, later revisions of the mobo may have shipped with a newer version e.g., A10 and the PC can't support e.g. A9.  There are a large number of Area 51M users who tried downgrading bios to improve performance and bricked their PCs.  Also, consider that since you had to reinstall windows to get A14 to work, that issue might come back if you flashed back.  

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

May 7th, 2020 11:00

if you take out the CMOs battery you also need to completely drain power from system so it is bone dry to force CMOs to lose all ability to keep NVRAM. Putting new battery in just restores whatever setting is still in CMOs. The new battery itself does not reset anything. Sometimes I hear people suggest remove old battery overnight. Pressing power button for 30-60 sec should also drain all system power. CMOs jumper reset is just another easy way to clear CMOs setting.

@r72019  is correct. Flash bios always has risk. Be sure to back up every bit of your current bios image on a usb stick if you want to flash back. I heard people use AFUWIN to back up bios image too if bios was written by AMI.

You have to seriously consider the risk of bricking board before proceed at your own risk. Btw the Dell bios recovery procedure does not appear to work sometimes.

here is download site of original bios A01. But Do NOT flash from 14 to 1 in one straight downfall or you will almost certainly brick the board. I can not explain why but numerous experts on bios flash warned not to do that.  What was the bios ver. you had before you upgraded to A14. If you have to go back, proceed slowly and very cautiously.

https://www.dell.com/support/driver/en-us/DriversDetails?productCode=alienware-area51-r2&driverId=RH56R

PS link for bios A12 https://www.dell.com/support/driver/en-us/DriversDetails?productCode=alienware-area51-r2&driverId=FTN7Y

No Events found!