Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

2 Intern

• 

125 Posts

June 13th, 2021 18:00

Aurora R10, AMD 5900X, USBs disconnecting

MY R10 is about one month old. Suddenly out of the blue, all the USB ports randomly disconnect and reconnect. My AW 510 Keyboard turns off and reboots mid sentence, and I can hear all the sounds that occur when the USB ports disconnect and reconnect. Peripherals also shut down. This happens randomly sometimes every few minutes.

I set up a custom power scheme in Windows 10 that disables USB power turning off. But it does not seem to hold, and even when I am pretty sure its active, it does not stop the USB disconnecting and reconnecting. If I choose the scheme in Windows and if I go into AWCC the scheme is not listed as active with a green bar next to it. If I choose it in AWCC and click save, it does not save as the active scheme.  In fact just going into AWCC deselects the power scheme from Windows 10 that I had set previously; after entering AWCC Power settings, when I look in Windows I see the scheme has change, usually back to balanced.

All this seems to have started after upgrading my BIOS to 2.1.3. I will call Alienware support tomorrow, but I am wondering if anyone else is noticing this problem lately to make me think this could be a BIOS issue.

So I do not know if this is a power scheme issue, computer issue, AWCC issue or what but it is sure a problem,

Greg

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

June 14th, 2021 21:00

"Anyone have an idea why the rear USB 3.x ports would work but none of the front USB 3.x ports or rear USB 2 ports?"

They are actually different. The rear ports are USB 3.1 Gen 2, twice as fast (10 Gbps) as the front ones which are USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Gbps). 

Also, they are served by a different USB host controller.

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

June 14th, 2021 03:00

I am on that same bios, no issues here.

Could be a USB device drawing to much power, overloading the USB ports.

Try unplugging a few USB devices at a time, see if it still happens.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

June 14th, 2021 08:00

Yeah, that's a new and known AMD issue when using some combo of zen 3, USB, and pcie 4.0.  It's not specific to dell.  Just do a google search for "AMD USB connectivity issue."  It primarily impacts specific high bandwidth uses like VR and stre@ming.  

"The most common repr0duction of this issue appears to be during the use of Virtual Reality headsets such as the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, with an intermittent connection issue being more prevalent to these users. As USB is the main method to power and communicate with VR headsets and peripherals, any dropout, even slightly to the high-powered VR applications, would instantly be highlighted. That isn't the only problem it can cause, as str@aming devices and USB audio interfaces could also experience power dropouts, which could be quite noticeable, especially if doing a recording."

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

June 14th, 2021 09:00

ah yes, I did start a thread about that a while back, asking when we can expect the new AGESA version for the r10 that addresses this issue.

I figured that with Resizable BAR support they would have rolled in the new AGESA version.

2 Intern

• 

125 Posts

June 14th, 2021 21:00

Thanks for everyone's replies. After more troubleshooting, I have determined the source of the problem, and whether it is an overload of the USB  port or the AMD connectivity issue I am not certain.

I use the PC for flight simulation, and I use Saitek Flight Yoke, throttle quadrant, and rudder pedals, which bundle to one USB cable that connects to the PC. If I connect it to the front USB ports, which are USB 3.1 or even the power sharing USB 3 front port, or to any of the rear USB 2 ports the problem occurs intermediately and repeatedly as described above. In fact I had just started using the controllers, and it finally dawned on me they might be causing the issue. I used the same controllers with an Aurora R4 front USB 3 port with no problem for years.

But, if I connect the flight controls to any of the rear USB 3.x ports, it never happens. There is no doubt about this. Anyone have an idea why the rear USB 3.x ports would work but none of the front USB 3.x ports or rear USB 2 ports? I do have other peripherals connected to the USB 2 ports on the back like mouse, keyboard, Gamepad controller etc and no  problem with those functioning. Do the rear USB 3.x ports support higher power draws?

I also went through all the listed  Device Manger USB controllers and hubs and unchecked the "allow PC to turn of USB Power" with no benefit.

Greg

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 15th, 2021 06:00

FYI,

This difference is shown in the online Alienware Aurora Ryzen (R10) Edition Setup and Specifications PDF.

5Gbps.JPG

10Gbps.JPG

2 Intern

• 

125 Posts

June 15th, 2021 09:00

Thanks for this information, but I don't see anything about the ports description and that the rear USB 3.X ports have a different controller from the USB 2 ports that explains why plugging in my Flight Controllers hub to the front USB 3 ports or the rear USB 2 ports causes the intermittent disconnection and reconnection, but the controller works on the rear USB 3.x ports with a different controller. Especially since they work fine on my Aurora R4 front USB 3 port. The game controllers are plain vanilla USB manufactured 15 years ago and still available for purchase.

Since the controller USB cable that connects all three controllers to the PC is hard wired into the flight yoke, and the cable is short, there is not really enough cable length to use it connected it the back.  It was meant to be connected to a front port. And I worry there is some defect in my new R10 that will come back to haunt me later if this is not resolved.

Is this a motherboard problem, are the connections from the ports to the motherboard bad, is the controller bad? And if this is the intermittent USB connectivity issue I read about peculiar to AMD and PCI 4 lanes, why would it not affect the rear USB ports as well?

Real mystery

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

February 11th, 2022 13:00

the same thing is happening with my brand new R11 with a 1000 watt power supply. SUPER FRUSTRATING!! I've had to unplug EVERYTHING I could from the back, and re-route the rest through the front or another external USB hub. This can't be the solution though... just a workaround to a problem that needs to be addressed.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

November 2nd, 2022 05:00

Same issue here, only way to fix this is to use a USB3 extension cable when connecting a USb3 device to the front panel.

If I connect directly, the device will just keep disconnecting itself. This only applies to USB3 devices connected to the front USB ports, USB2 devices don't have this issue.

No Events found!