Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

40 Posts

October 14th, 2022 17:00

Aurora R10, CPU fan error after Kraken 120 install

Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition​ R10

Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition​ R10

Hey, I installed a Kraken 120 water cooler in my Aurora R10. But I am now getting a CPU Fan error on startup. Does anyone know how to fix this?

64 Posts

November 7th, 2022 00:00

"The H60 AIO is not Alienware, but also a Corsair product. The new Aurora R15 will supposedly have a 240mm radiator btw XD"

i demand a free case replacement.

40 Posts

November 13th, 2022 14:00

Hey ProffessorW00d. I got some artic silver. Do you have a tutorial where it explains the installation of the push-pull configuration? Do I need to remove the casing for the radiator? Is the fan below the radiator supposed to stick out, outside the radiator case?

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 13th, 2022 15:00

I would remove the pump block from the CPU and take a picture of the thermal application.

You should not get 50 Celsius idling and I am thinking you don't have it installed properly.

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

November 13th, 2022 16:00

This is a good Tube Vid for push/pull radiator sandwich. Yes, if you do push/pull with two 25mm fans the bottom fan will extend lower into the case, because the radiator that it is attached to is 25mm lower, because of the top fan inside the cage. The radiator cage does not need to be removed.

40 Posts

November 14th, 2022 12:00

For both the Nzxt and Noctua fans, the cables are braided (not flat) and it seems like it will be a tight squeeze as the radiator fits precisely into the case. Am I supposed to be running the fan cable that is supposed to be on top through the cage, or some other way? Also, does it make a difference which fan I place on top?

40 Posts

November 14th, 2022 14:00

I did it. Both fans are installed and running. On Idle the CPU is about 43 - 46 Degrees. Am I supposed to do anything in the bios? I read that after installing a water cooler you should set the pump speed to 100. Not sure if I have to do that with an Alienware.

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

November 14th, 2022 14:00

It appears that the fans are relatively comparable in air flow and static pressure. The NZXT fan will be louder, so perhaps put it on the bottom, with the Noctua up top by the exhaust vent. The radiator is a tight fit in the cage. Sleeved cables will compound the problem. You are a  PC modder now . . . so you will need to devise a way to make it work. Both fan cables normally run through the cage, so make the squeeze, or find a hole somewhere to route the wires, or make a hole.

40 Posts

November 14th, 2022 15:00

Ok. Didn't see any settings. After restarting, the temps remain around 48 degrees on idle. No BSOD yet. I'll leave it as is and see how things turn out. Thanks for the help. I did notice though that my radiator cage has multiple small holes like a grater instead of it being open at the top like the youtube vid you shared. I guess that is terrible for airflow. Thoughts?

40 Posts

I will remove the water block again and share a pic tom.

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

I am not sure if there is a PUMP_FAN speed control in BIOS . . . check it out.

40 Posts

November 14th, 2022 16:00

So it spikes from 48 to 71. Will send pics tom of the installation as well as how I applied the thermal paste. I will rearrange the fans (I'll place the Noctua on top.) I should note that ever since I installed the water cooler it makes a noise when it now starts up. Kind of like it has air bubbles. Not sure if that is normal.

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

November 14th, 2022 16:00

What is your ambient temp? At idle, 48C still seems high to me.

I think the Tube Vid was an R11 if I recall. They may have changed the radiator cage at that Aurora model. Below is an Aurora R7 radiator cage with holes.

radiator top cage.JPG

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

November 14th, 2022 20:00

yes, drop some photos of the inside so we can see what is going on. Which fan is on top will not make a big difference in the CPU temp . . . as long as they are both exhausting air out the top of the case. A little gurgling from the AIO is normal. It should not be making a lot of noise. Hopefully that is not the cause of your high CPU temp.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 15th, 2022 05:00

Another thing to look for is how you tighten the mounting screws. Should be in a cross pattern and with evenly applied pressure at each side.

And of course you know about the arrows on the fans and how they have to all point up for a top mounted rad.

40 Posts

November 15th, 2022 05:00

So I removed the water block and saw that the paste is spread mostly on one side. I believe that I mounted the fans correctly. The NZXT fan doesn't have any indication of which way is airflow but I assume it's the same as the Noctua where the side with the manufacturing info pushes air out. My temps this morning were pretty high, around 71-80. I am going to re-sit the fans and spread the paste evenly before I reinstall the water block. Some pics are below.

PHOTO-2022-11-15-09-25-31.jpgPHOTO-2022-11-15-09-25-38.jpgPHOTO-2022-11-15-09-25-48.jpgPHOTO-2022-11-15-09-30-27.jpg

No Events found!