Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DM

1 Message

May 6th, 2020 22:00

Aurora R10 Ryzen, upgrade CPU and GPU?

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my R10 CPU and GPU. Do I need to replace the motherboard as well? I would like to upgrade from Ryzen 5 to 7 3900x and the GPU from 2060 super to 2080. It is a lot cheaper to do this after market. Is this possible? I just received the R10 and can provide more information if needed. 

thank you for the help! 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 7th, 2020 06:00

The r10 supports the 3900x and 2080.  You'd want the 850w psu for this combo.  As far as the gpu, the issue is the case not the mobo.  You need to take measurements to make sure it fits (like around 5" or less and 10.75" or less), and if you get a double fan open air gpu it's going to get hot in the sff case a lot faster.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

May 7th, 2020 09:00

@Dylan M :

CPU: I suppose you'd want to get one of the AIO liquid coolers for the CPU also. Either Dell OEM or 3rd party. Also at least have heatsink over the left row of VRMs. Not sure about that top row though.

GPU: As @r72019 mentioned, non-blower style fans will risk circulating that 250W of heat in the chassis. I've stuck a hybrid liquid cooled 2080 Super in my R8 before and it's great.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 7th, 2020 11:00

@r72019  @GTS81   GPU: As @r72019 mentioned, non-blower style fans will risk circulating that 250W of heat in the chassis.

A full length graphics card and a closed PSU swing out confrabulator essentially cuts the case in half front-to-back. If you have a lower front intake fan blowing basement hot air out the back PCIe slots and vents, I don't see how this circulatory heat situation develops   Additionally, your graphics card components are kept relatively cooler with twin fans.

Have we ever talked about this before 

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

May 7th, 2020 12:00

@Anonymous :

A full length graphics card and a closed PSU swing out confrabulator essentially cuts the case in half front-to-back. If you have a lower front intake fan blowing basement hot air out the back PCIe slots and vents, I don't see how this circulatory heat situation develops   Additionally, your graphics card components are kept relatively cooler with twin fans.

Talked about it we have.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R8-Experience-of-Buying/m-p/7349204/highlight/true#M11547

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R8-Experience-of-Buying/m-p/7351136/highlight/true#M11595

As my little experiments in the early days of my R8 shows, there's little to be gained by adding in helper fans. The open fan style graphics cards sucks in air towards the board and vents them outwards from the sides. If your cards isn't too wide, you get more space for the hot air to come out and then pushed out from the back. If not, it just bounces off the side panel and goes back to the graphics card.

9 Legend

• 

11.8K Posts

May 7th, 2020 16:00

If OP is not in love with the R10 SFF case (new design of mini AW pod) but likes the system components for whatever reason (?cheaper than aftermarket), " It is a lot cheaper to do this after market. Is this possible? " consider move everything to new case. just have to figure out front panel connector pinout.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 7th, 2020 16:00

@Anonymous wrote:

@r72019  @GTS81   GPU: As @r72019 mentioned, non-blower style fans will risk circulating that 250W of heat in the chassis.

A full length graphics card and a closed PSU swing out confrabulator essentially cuts the case in half front-to-back. If you have a lower front intake fan blowing basement hot air out the back PCIe slots and vents, I don't see how this circulatory heat situation develops   Additionally, your graphics card components are kept relatively cooler with twin fans.

Yeah, easy to say when you have a waterblock on everything not soldered to the motherboard.  

No Events found!