Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 11th, 2020 17:00

Aurora R10, overheating?

I have an Aurora R10 with a gtx 2080 super. It’s running at 84 degrees under load, and around 35-45 while idle. 850watt liquid cooling option installed. Are these temps within normal range? I should also mention that it is running the Ryzen 7. I’d like the opinions of other owners before contacting tech support. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

March 13th, 2020 07:00

@speedstep wrote:

NVIDIA says that GPU temperatures typically average between 40 and 90 degrees Celsius, with a maximum permissible temperature of up to 105.

"Thermal Power Specs:  89 Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)" 

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

March 13th, 2020 08:00

Probably refers to average range. Also, don’t forget Boost 3.0 causing a drop in boost clock frequency every 5C or so.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@Jeff196950   I should also mention that it is running the Ryzen 7.

You should mention more than that, since Ryzen 7 ranges from 45 watts TDP to 105 watts TDP, depending on model. It is probably an RTX 2080 Super . . . and those idle temps seem a little high, depending on your ambient temperature. Everything else is 'stock' OEM in your R10? Nice rig, by the way

Thank you. I am having issues responding to personal messages. For some reason it wont let me send a reply. Here are my base specs.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

16GB Memory

1GB SSD

850watt liquid cooling and the warranty are the only customization options I chose. 

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

84C for CPU or GPU? What type of load is it? CPU or GPU intensive? What's the fan speeds for top fan, front fan, and GPU fan? What's the power drawn (W) when the temps are that high?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@Jeff196950 

The 65 watt TDP processor with liquid cooling should be in good shape. The graphics card is cooking at 250 watts and blowing hot air into the case. What temps do you get if you leave the side cover off? What about if you (carefully) leave open the swing out PSU contraption . . . trying to see what difference air flow will make.

EDIT: I am assuming the 84C is the GPU.

March 11th, 2020 18:00

I ended up calling into tech support. The wonderful young woman I spoke to installed a few drivers, and helped me with my settings. Under stress testing it never went above 74. She assured me everything is working properly. 

EDIT: Yes, the 84c was the graphics card. 

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

March 12th, 2020 05:00

What were the settings that you adjusted and what settings did you use to bring your temps down?

March 12th, 2020 05:00

Primarily adjusting the thermal control to performance. I’m researching on custom fan settings to maybe balance it out a bit better, but for now I’ll stick to the presets. 

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

March 12th, 2020 06:00

84C you means sure.

CPU or GPU,. ?

at near 80c the intel inside shows its self down (smart) and near 90C or per your intel data sheet it shuts down.

newer GPU chips do the same thing (smarter now they are)

if the CPU runs that hot your cooling system is failing,  for  sure.

ok now down to 74C and good..  solved.

nice posts above showing case open tests, very very good.

March 12th, 2020 06:00

Thank you for your reply. It was the graphics card that was running at 84C, while the CPU was much lower. I’m going to look more into custom fan settings, but for now all seems to be good. I’ve never been a PC gamer before, so I think I’ve been a bit paranoid about everything lol. I was concerned about my computer overheating, but I think nothing of my PS4 sounding like a damn jet engine . 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 13th, 2020 06:00

NVIDIA says that GPU temperatures typically average between 40 and 90 degrees Celsius, with a maximum permissible temperature of up to 105.

Typically the GPU will throttle to prevent damage.

So its normal.  Its never going to be SILENT however.

There are less capable GPUs that are silent such as

Palit's GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX

Palit's GeForce GTX 1650 KalmX

http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=3494&lang=en&pn=NE5165001BG1-1170H&tab=ga

A GTX 1050 isn't a waste of money because it can always be carried forward.
AGP and Conventional PCI from 2005 and earlier machines are a waste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUOrnp2PjK4

There are even cases of someone putting a 1080TI into an XPS 400 from 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9b0TkTsLM

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

March 13th, 2020 09:00

850watt liquid cooling option installed (my wild guess CPU only) does the radiator have a fan?

what does that mean,?  CPU , GPU or  both, I can not guess the full range of options an ANY PC

gee shoot a photo of PC case open.?  then 1 photo and ah !

some even have optional fans on the radiator,  endless options in the real world. what dell sells for options IDK>.

or if modified..

84c GPU (NOT PANIC THAT)

so that is not super hot just hot.

is your room for PC at 72F or 95F  i can not guess room temps and matters, 1st things first. and all that....

I guess that GPU card dumps all its hot air to the case, , so add a case fan. to suck in 72F and get GPU card cooler (simple no?)

the card has a sea of  heatsink fins on top made fast cards, are re they all LINT FREE, I blow mine off every year

do you? looking carefully with flashlight, top and bottom of HS matters, use mirror, no AC power.

I use shop air here to blow out PC, full of lint (yearly), a clean heat sink and clean fans is like magic,  (air cooling)

you can make sure there is good air flow into said case.  a must. (all PCs for that matter, air cooled)

ALL i KNOW IS THIS...

"I have an R/10 with a gtx 2080 super:"

AND VAGUE WATER SOMETHING,  post a photo  inside.  UNBLIND the helper. 

that card belches out a huge 250Watts 3d gamed, fast (clocked) read HUGE !

huge heat load that. buy a case fan front 120mm not sure what fits, me. but you need air.

the GPU has 2 fans, and both need to be kept clean and all fins inside blown out and lots of cool air fed into that case, or it will get hot..  and hotter not cleaned and serviced, air cooled card I see and nvidia.com

see these fins below, keep them clean and cool air from outside PC to inside PC, and it can run cooler.

super.JPG

r10.JPG

find a way to get this area cooler,  is there a fan here, on right? even remove Jbackets on rear to lower heat.

heat lowers the life of all electronics, have proof ask. 

March 13th, 2020 10:00

Thank you for your very helpful reply. Yeah, the tech basically told me the same thing after running a stress test. Odd thing is; it’s only been Ark that sent my system into a blaze. Played The Witcher 3 on Ultra settings last night, and the graphics card never got above 72C I believe. I’ve also tried FF14, and Planet Zoo. All run perfect on this thing. Oh, believe me when I say I don’t expect it to be silent. It’s ALLOT quieter than my PS4 Pro, and allot closer to me when I game so I’m a happy camper on the noise front :). 

No Events found!