Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 17th, 2021 14:00

Aurora R11, water cooling HELP

hi guys new here and only just got my R11, first things first. it was second hand and had the GPU removed and was picked up for £500. my pc goal was always to get an alienware unit but never had the spare funds (kids spent it before i could) i placed my 3070 in to the unit and did a reboot but boy was this beast loud. did a bit of hunting on here and found people had switched the air cooler to a corsair h60. i did this and CPU fan error and cant clear it on start up. i did not like sitting waiting for this to clear so did some more research and found out dell use asetec coolers. found a second hand/new not fitted one on line just installed it and still the same error....... even if i hook up to the cpu plug it still does it. help i need if anyone would be so kind. (i have ordered a VRM heat sink but its coming from the states) 

1: is there any way of turning of pre-boot checking.

2: why does the system not recognise ether of the water coolers. 

3: changed Case fans to corsair ML120 but system does not like them and gives the same error as CPU fan not responding correctly.

4: can you buy the stock cooler from dell (cant find it)

thanks in advance

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

June 17th, 2021 16:00

1. Not to my knowledge. I have never seen any fan options in the bios or bios manuals.

2. These systems are picky for aftermarket parts. Unless it is an original OEM DELL part that was designed for the specific model of your Alienware, you are likely going to run into issues.

3. For the Corsair ML120, it needs to be a specific version of it. I believe it needs to be the ML 120 PRO.

4. I do not think DELL sells the coolers as an item.

The VRM heatsinks are also going to cause an issue, because if you disconnect the air cooler fan from the board, it will expect the VRM to be present. The VRM's have I believe a connection to ground that if not present will also give you issues.

Here's a few R11 fan threads with some good information in them:

R11 fans 

VRM requirements 

Noctua Corsair part numbers for fans 

No Events found!