Start a Conversation

Unsolved

EL

8 Posts

February 21st, 2019 09:00

Aurora R5, fan errors, but still boots and cpu is fine

Basically this is what's going on:

Last night, my machine was fine.I normally leave it on, no noise etc. I wake up, and it's rather noisy. So I reboot my machine. It just turns off. At this point, I'm actually waking up and paying attention. I notice the yellow around the power button when I turn it on. The same abnormal noise.. sounds a little like a vacuum.   Anyway, it boots! I get 3 errors that I can bypass: CPU fan error, TOP fan error, FRONT fan error. When I open the desktop, the fans are moving as is everything else. I was able to press F1 to bypass and I did attempt to reset the CPU fan, but to no avail. My only guess is maybe giving it a shot of thermal grease since it seemed to be a little low but I really don't know / don't want to take a chance it might be something else while I wait a few days for the thermal grease to arrive so I'm hoping somebody can help me in case I'm overlooking something.   The CPU fan is running at 4% and everything else is fine. It's just the errors and the abnormal noise and honestly I rather fix this now than later so thank you in advance for any help / advice.

February 21st, 2019 10:00

So.. the shortcuts that don't work are pointing at my 2ndary HDD which isn't "seen" right now because of the fan problems.   So that explains that.    Anyway... still wondering if anybody else thinks it might be something besides needing thermal grease.  However; I get that til the 25th since I live out in the boonies :-/

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

If the machine is over-heating, various strange things can happen.

for now, you can dis-connect the spinning HDD (to remove from equation).

slight update: Some icons I click won't work. "the drive or netowrk connection that the shortcut "" refers to is unavailable. Make sure the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available and then try again." I might as well my setup Alienware Aurorar R5 Edition: Win 10 Pro Version: 1607 OS build: 14393.321 Processor: I7-6700CPU @3.4 GHz RAM: 64 GB Sys type: 64 bit Vid card: GeForce 1080 P/S / GPU: 850W (pretty sure I installed this right or it wouldn't run but I can show a pic later if asked) Prime HD: SSD ... it's connected directly into the motherboard. But 1TB 2ndary HD: SSD: 1 TB

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

To check Liquid-Cooler and fans ...

the ePSA diag (outside of Windows) is pretty good. This is from my notes:

This is for an Aurora R5/R6/R7/R8 with (Asetek) Liquid Cooler
F12 to run ePSA Diagnostics
First page tests take about 5 minutes.
After it finishes Testing, it should say everything Passes.
It will ask about running Extended Tests that take 4 hours
- If you don't expect Memory failure, you can skip RAM Tests
Click arrow button (bottom right) to go to second screen (detailed Test Results)
Notice all the components that tested good
System Health/ Fans / CPU-FAN is actually the impeller-RPM of Asetek Liquid Cooler pump
- Pump Impeller RPM is constant/fixed and should be between 5280-5350 RPM
TOP-FAN (radiator-fan): around 1160 RPM
FRONT-FAN: 450 RPM (PCIe slots & cool-air intake fan)
HARD-DRIVE: 26c
CPU Thermistor: 35c-54c

February 21st, 2019 12:00

Well... the "strange thing" being the 2ndary drive, was my own doing since the sata got loose and dc'd from it when I close the lid. So.. that thing is done. I did do the test - same results... except the test revealed that a thermal sensor couldn't be detected. Otherwise everything checks out except those 3 fans. No overheating or such. Just the -65 on the cpu fan since it can't detect the sensor for whatever reason and I have no idea what that looks like.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 21st, 2019 13:00

@Edgy Leaf wrote:
except the test revealed that a thermal sensor couldn't be detected. 

Yeah, that's bad.

That would also likely explain why thermal control went crazy trying to compensate.

no idea where that is / what to do or if thermal grease is going to my Hail Mary or not with that comment heh

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Edgy Leaf wrote:

1. no idea where that is / what to do or

2. if thermal grease is going to my Hail Mary or not with that comment heh

1. It's either the one inside the CPU or the one under it (on the motherboard chipset).

2. To boot, you need a functioning cooler. However, I doubt thermal grease would make a difference.

Guess we'll find out then.  I mean, it clearly boots and everything else is working and the fans are still working despite the fan errors.   What I don't get is what happened between when I fell asleep and woke up this morning.   Thanks for info anyway.  Here's hoping thermal grease is the answer when I get it on the 25th.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 21st, 2019 14:00

@Edgy Leaf wrote:

1. Guess we'll find out then.

2. What I don't get is what happened between when I fell asleep and woke up this morning.   

1. I guess so ... just try to help.

2. Computers break-down for many reasons too numerous to list here. Is it connected to a good UPS (like APC with AVR-tech)?

February 22nd, 2019 12:00

I do appreciate the help!   I just wish I could do something else since I hate using it while it's in this state of madness with the humming. 

BTW:  just for giggles, i did test the P/S by having the machine off and pushed / held the test button. All fans blew at full speeds and nothing out of the ordinary.  

This is actually making me consider to just renew the warranty, but I don't want to do that because many of the upgrades I did to it were after I bought the machine - which included the upgrade to the p/s since I believed I needed it to be able to the GeForce 1080 card.  Originally it was the 1070, but even the I think the P/S was only a 480? watt. .. whatever it came with. 

I'll post an update after I attempt the thermal grease.

Thanks for trying again.

February 25th, 2019 10:00

Well.. no dice.   But it needed greasing anyway.   Guess next step is either renew warranty or replace the CPU unit since that's where the thermal sensor is located.

Idk.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 25th, 2019 11:00

@Edgy Leaf wrote:

1. Well.. no dice.   

2. Guess next step is either renew warranty or replace the CPU unit since that's where the thermal sensor is located.

Idk.

1. At least you reported back.

You might should have not only re-seated the CPU while you were there, but also check the socket and motherboard for (old) spilled-over thermal-paste (or other obvious problems).

2. I wonder what CPUID's HW-Monitor shows ?

No Events found!