Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

26 Posts

May 19th, 2018 02:00

Aurora-R6, GPU cooler upgrade?

Hello, so I would like to ask about what all I can upgrade on my stock Alienware Aurora R6? Right now my GPU temperature makes me a concern whether I can upgrade it or not. It reaches around 50-80 Celsius. Also is the water cooling system is for the CPU right? If I could upgrade my cooling system for my GPU, it would be better to say which cooler should I buy and the list of coolers according to their price and performance. It would be the best if you could say the list of components I can upgrade on an stock Alienware Aurora R6. Also to clear out the doubts on which games my GPU heats, is when I play a game called as 'War Thunder' at the max graphics. Due to overheat my game freezes and my entire monitor freezes resulting me to only restart my PC as I can't click/move my cursor anywhere everything freezes literary. To refer my specs, please click this link https://pastebin.com/8AqyAkhc (A normal Pastebin website where my system specs all the way to my applications.)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 19th, 2018 16:00

@Barnitzkewrote:

Hello, so I would like to ask about what all I can upgrade on my stock Alienware Aurora R6?

1. Right now my GPU temperature makes me a concern whether I can upgrade it or not... it reaches around 50-80 Celsius.

2. Also is the water cooling system is for the CPU right?

3. if I could upgrade my cooling system for my GPU... it would be better to say which cooler should I buy and the list of coolers according to their price and performance. It would be the best if you could say the list of components I can upgrade on an stock Alienware Aurora R6.

4. Also to clear out the doubts on which games my GPU heats.. is when I play a game called as 'WarThunder' at the max graphics. Due to overheat my game freezes and my entire monitor freezes resulting me to only restart my PC as I can't click/move my cursor anywhere everything freezes literary.

To refer my specs, please click this link https://pastebin.com/8AqyAkhc (A normal Pastebin website where my system specs all the way to my applications.)

1. Nvidia-1080 GPU at 80c max is fine.

2. Right. Do you have that yet for your Intel-i7? The stock Alienware Liquid-Cooler is an easy upgrade.

3. It's possible if you are good with hardware-mods. Astek and others make sealed-GPU-Coolers.

4. No, nothing should be going that. Check the Windows Reliability History.

Do you have the better 850w PowerSupply? 

Get CPU-ID HW-Monitor, and OCCT for Power-Supply-Test.

26 Posts

May 20th, 2018 03:00

Well, I guess yes. My CPU comes with a water cooling system... I guess all stock ones do come with it... as the last time I opened my Alienware Case, I saw the water cooling system was placed for the CPU, not for the GPU, So it's a yes... as my computer knowledge is limited... It would be better if you could point out some manual/guides or some videos on how to install a cooler, and for your instance, we can only liquid cool our GPU right? not use Air coolers which I normally think we can't but need a confirmation. Now the fourth point you said was to check my windows reliability system, well hats of to you. I didn't know this before as I'm an intermediate on how helpful is it... the problem is with the LiveKernelEvent, now I found out the problem... it's time to fix it. It would be better of if I can have the list of specs I should upgrade as well as the name of the product, for now, I'm willing to spend a little low... for around 200$ so within that money it would be great if you could list/point me out some products. If not, be sure to list it too as in the future it will be helpful! Till then thanks for the great help! I appreciate it :D

26 Posts

May 20th, 2018 07:00

BTW,  an update. I can't get OCCT for Power-Supply test, when I click on their website it say's it refuses to connect me to their website... if you could provide me with the download link or a zip for or some sort of link or .exe/.zip files it will be easier for me to download it their rather than searching again. Or simply ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED when clicking on OCCT's website.

26 Posts

May 20th, 2018 09:00

@Tesla1856 I have CPUID HWMonitor installed if you can say me what to specify and what all information do you want to collect from my system? Or maybe inform me about what to look in for the software, would be helpful if you could read my old replies to my latest one.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 20th, 2018 10:00

@Barnitzkewrote:

1. Well, I guess yes. My CPU comes with a water cooling system... So it's a yes...

2. I guess all stock ones do come with it..

3. as the last time I opened my Alienware Case, I saw the water cooling system was placed for the CPU,

4. not for the GPU,  as my computer knowledge is limited... It would be better if you could point out some manual/guides or some videos on how to install a cooler, and for your instance, we can only liquid cool our GPU right?

5. not use Air coolers which I normally think we can't but need a confirmation.

6. Now the fourth point you said was to check my windows reliability system, well hats of to you. I didn't know this before as I'm an intermediate on how helpful is it...

7. the problem is with the LiveKernelEvent, now I found out the problem... it's time to fix it.

8. It would be better of if I can have the list of specs I should upgrade as well as the name of the product, for now, I'm willing to spend a little low... for around 200$ so within that money it would be great if you could list/point me out some products. If not, be sure to list it too as in the future it will be helpful! Till then thanks for the great help! I appreciate it :D

1. OK, good. Just making sure.

2. No, it's optional. Unfortunately, some ship with only Intel-CPU Fan-Cooling. 

3.  Intel-i7 is best with Alienware's (Asetek made) Liquid-Cooler.

4. I'll look around. This is really delicate work, are you sure? I'm scared for you and your working GTX-1080  Smile:

5. Your GTX-1080 is already Fan-Cooled and working properly. Nvidia GPU at Max is ok at 80c.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Aurora-R6-Hard-Lockup-and-crash-while-gaming-SOLVED/m-p/5504134/highlight/true#M6110

6. Exactly.

7. Good work

8. It's after-market gpu-mod unless you buy high-dollar one with sealed-gpu liquid-cooler pre-installed from factory. 

Alienware sells them now as options in latest Area51.

26 Posts

May 21st, 2018 03:00

@Tesla1856 I'm fine with my GTX 1080, as I have a spare one from Asus, by the way... if I install a cooler will my room be limited to add another graphics card? because if I'm going to add another GPU it's going to start heating up my ambient sensor... that's why I really need a cooler for one or two of my GPU's. Also if you could list in Core i7, which Core version should I buy and clocked at what speed? for upgrading it. Also is there any way like to reach somewhat the standards of an Alienware Area 51? from an Alienware Aurora r6? would be great if you could say me. If there are please list them out thanks. Also, I've got the application installed as, CPUID HWMonitor now if you could say me what to do, whereas the OCCT is not allowing me to reach to their site, would be better if you have the .exe or the .zip and upload it via some third party sites and I can download it from there (if it's really needed). Also, my monitor is an IPS Led Monitor 1920x1080 made by LG. It's a cheap one or you can say a budget one where I can play games at high resolution. Also, how do we check whether my PC has a 600w/700w or 800w power supply? Pretty much new to supplies. Also can I liquid cool the GPU's or it's restricted that I only use air coolers?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 25th, 2018 11:00

@Barnitzke wrote:

@Tesla1856 I'm fine with my GTX 1080, as I have a spare one from Asus, by the way... if I install a cooler will my room be limited to add another graphics card? because if I'm going to add another GPU it's going to start heating up my ambient sensor... that's why I really need a cooler for one or two of my GPU's. Also if you could list in Core i7, which Core version should I buy and clocked at what speed? for upgrading it. Also is there any way like to reach somewhat the standards of an Alienware Area 51? from an Alienware Aurora r6? would be great if you could say me. If there are please list them out thanks. Also, I've got the application installed as, CPUID HWMonitor now if you could say me what to do, whereas the OCCT is not allowing me to reach to their site, would be better if you have the .exe or the .zip and upload it via some third party sites and I can download it from there (if it's really needed). Also, my monitor is an IPS Led Monitor 1920x1080 made by LG. It's a cheap one or you can say a budget one where I can play games at high resolution. Also, how do we check whether my PC has a 600w/700w or 800w power supply? Pretty much new to supplies. Also can I liquid cool the GPU's or it's restricted that I only use air coolers?

Yes, Aurora-R7 is slim-model with not much room. It will just-barely handle 2 high-end cards ... but something larger like an Area51 is better because of the cooling-area size, optional 1500w Power-Supply, and the ability for the motherboard to do full PCIe x16-v3.0 on SLI HB-Bridge .

I tested it for you. Latest OCCT v4.51 zip DLed, installed and ran fine on a newer machine build-up (Vostro-460). All temps under 70c on PS-Test.

1080p is good because it lakes less graphics-horsepower. Are you playing Windows games with keyboard/mouse or a Sony PS4 Hand-Controller? Some are playing in HomeTheater on HDTV. BestBuy has LG's 49-inch 4K-HDTV for $400. 4K and VR will take whatever GPU horse-power you can make available.

For my main desk workstation, I think I would want something more like this or if Dell has Ultra-Sharp equivalent finally.

BenQ 32inch-4K BL3201PH

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2478684,00.asp

About 2-3 of these should work nicely.

- EDITED

26 Posts

June 7th, 2018 08:00

So what's a vice option? A Liquid Cooler or another GPU? If so can you suggest me some Liquid Coolers with some manual/guide on how to install them on Alienware Aurora R6 as well as AIO Liquid Coolers? and whether if someone had space to insert another graphics card with some sort of a smaller liquid cooler?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 7th, 2018 15:00

@Barnitzke wrote:

So what's a vice option? A Liquid Cooler or another GPU? 

Your Aurora-R6 with GTX-1080 is fine running around 80c.

Does your Aurora-R6 has 850w PS?

If it's still locking-up during max-gaming, I would look into that problem instead. Might just be flakey Nvidia drivers. Call Dell if still under warranty.

26 Posts

June 9th, 2018 11:00

No, my GPU does not lock-up during when I'm gaming now. I've fixed it a month ago. It was a long procedure and double checked my GPU at stress-test. It should be fine now and I guess this won't occur in the future.

No Events found!