Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2019 23:00

Aurora R6, XFX Radeon RX 580, compatible?

I have an aurora R6. It came with an i5-7400 and an rx 480 8gb factory card. The other day one of the capacitors burned out. My rx 480 8gb referrence card that came with the system died. I want to install an XFX rx 580 was wondering if it would be. The computer hard shut down when I was using it. I used the PSU  test button and immediately saw a spark on the gpu and smelled burning. I removed the graphics card and one of the capacitors is dead and there's a burn mark on the card. I plan on buying an XFX rx 580 XXX edition to replace it and I was just wondering if it would be compatible. It's about an inch longer than the rx 480 but it should fit fine. I was just wondering if this card would be compatible, if there was anything special I had to do before installing it, etc. I have used DDU in safe mode to remove the old drivers. Here is a link to the card https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y66K3XD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1. Thank you ahead of time.

2.2K Posts

October 16th, 2019 07:00

So I went from a stock 560 to an MSI RX580 8GB Armor OC right from the beginning with my R8. Here are some thoughts.

Sizewise the cards are similar but it leaves barely any space between my MSI card and the front fan. I am also unable to use the card support bracket that shipped with the R8 due to the height of the card.

XFX: 270 x 124 x 40 mm

MSI: 269 x 125 x 38 mm

You may want to check the clearance between the top of the card near the rear slot as the swing arm triangle piece may interfere with it. I didn’t have the issue with the Armor OC’s shroud and later the Kraken G12 liquid cooling mod bracket.

The 580 runs hot at full load. Expect it to draw north of 150W on boost clocks and the casing has a bad design that recirculates heat from those dual fans.

27 Posts

October 16th, 2019 16:00

It's going to be a tight fit but it's the smallest card I can find for the performance I want. I would just replace it with the original card but brand new they're like 380 dollars.

2.2K Posts

October 16th, 2019 18:00

Not sure if you’re locked into Freesync or not but I’d look at 1660 Ti or even smaller 2060 cards. However, I totally agree with you that for this price point, 580 is king!

27 Posts

October 16th, 2019 20:00

Yea my Samsung only supports Freesync. Just gonna pick this card up and hope it fits in there. Thank you.

27 Posts

November 5th, 2019 16:00

The card fits well, just had to improvise a support bracket for it since it doesn't seem to attach completely to the back support brackets and can't use the one provided in case for the old rx 480.

2.2K Posts

November 5th, 2019 17:00

Sounds good. Sometimes combination of monitor and graphics card will cause Freesync to mess up. It usually causes a pop-up saying that the Radeon Adrenalin software had problems with refresh. Some games would also start flickering. I found that I had to stick to a specific release of Adrenalin and have been 2 revs behind the latest one.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

November 5th, 2019 20:00

The chassis support slot by the IO shield in combination with the 2 locks on the motherboard x16 slot aren't enough to hold it in place?  I recently replaced my GTX 1080 with a heavier, but thinner, less wide GPU, and the Dell GPU bracket was just hanging out there limply, useless.  So I removed it.  I considered buying a new bracket, but the GPU seems pretty sturdy so I felt comfortable leaving it as is. 

REPLYING TO: 

The card fits well, just had to improvise a support bracket for it since it doesn't seem to attach completely to the back support brackets and can't use the one provided in case for the old rx 480.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 5th, 2019 21:00

@posthxc1982    The card fits well, just had to improvise a support bracket 

w39.JPG

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

November 5th, 2019 21:00

Mind my asking what that part is called?  I was also set back in that many support brackets and braces are too big for the tiny dell case. 

Also, as an aside, comment on your photo.  If that top bracket is loose, you may be able to secure it with a square piece of thermal padding like ARCTIC - Thermal Pad 50 X 1.0 mm. 

2.2K Posts

November 5th, 2019 23:00

Yes, my MSI RX580 also sagged and attempt to force the Dell bracket to hold it up ended up with a dented heat pipe. Bought a bracket and returned it because it fell out every time I moved the swing arm. Now I don't need it anymore with the Kraken mod as the H55 AIO tubes are pushing against the case floor hence holding the card up.

Went through 29 pages of my thread and couldn't find the answer to what that support bracket is called. He posted it somewhere before for me.

The pseudo-alien doesn't look like that photo anymore. 

No Events found!