Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

1 Message

May 15th, 2019 20:00

Aurora R7, No audio through HDMI

I have an Aurora R7 (i7-8700, GTX1070) and recently i havent been able to get any audio through the HDMI port. Ive tried multiple monitors and TVs and several cables to no effect. I can however get audio through a remote desktop or steam link. Im stumped at what is causing this or how i can fix if the audio of the HDMI port is just shot somehow, its not that big of a deal, but i would rather not buy a dedicated sound system right now unless i have to

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 16th, 2019 03:00

Windows will automatically switch the default audio playback device to HDMI if an HDMI cable is connected.  If not there is a hardware problem with the video card.  In that case, the first thing to do is (with the PC powered off) reseat the Video card (remove then reinstall the video card).  

If HDMI is set as default audio playback device, refresh the HDMI audio.  Go to the Device Manager, Sound, Video and Game Controllers section.  You should have an entry for the NVIDIA High Definition Audio (I assume you are connecting to the NVIDIA video card).  Uninstall the NVIDIA High Definition Audio, but DO NOT uninstall the driver.   Then restart the PC and when Windows starts it should detect and reinstall it.  

Usually, if its just a glitch, this will fix it.  If not, download and reinstall the NVIDIA video card drivers.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 16th, 2019 10:00

@LunusT wrote:

I have an Aurora R7 (i7-8700, GTX1070)

i haven't been able to get any audio through the HDMI port.

I've tried multiple monitors and TVs and several cables to no effect.

While I would also verify that a pair of analog-headphones work (for simple Windows audio),  they might need to be disconnected when wanting to use HDMI for everything.

The "monitors and TVs" likely need to be powered-up first.

Those "monitors and TVs" must have on-board speakers that are usable with their HDMI Inputs.

On the "monitors and TVs" themselves (inside their own setup-menus) ... the Audio must be set to "Built-in Speakers" and NOT "Home Theater" .

After you get it working, IIRC ... you can set the (now working) HDMI-Audio as Default in Windows Control Panel.

If this is a "Home Theater" or Living-Room install, maybe click my name for a related pic. 

No Events found!