Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 10th, 2018 09:00

Aurora-R7, RAM upgrade (i7-8700, GTX 1070, 16GB Stock RAM)

Hi,

I have a new Alienware Aurora R7, BestBuy purchase, a very nice machine.  I want to do a couple upgrades.  I want add an M.2 2280 1 TB PCIe Samsung Pro NVMe drive.  I'm comfortable with this upgrade as I have already asked on this forum regarding its compatibility.  Thanks for that Tesla1856.   

I'm struggling with the RAM upgrade. It appears the RAM in the pic below, meets the specs for this machine at least on paper.  I've seen a couple other posts on Amazon regarding this RAM working with success on another  Aurora R7.  But, as you know RAM can be tricky.  I cannot find independent confirmation, even from Corsair that this RAM is workable with the Aurora R7.  I'm thinking I may be alright.  However, I wonder if the community would chime in on my chance for success here with this Corsair RAM.  Perhaps others have used it with success.  I hate RMA's, especially 15% restocking RMA's, especially if not compatible.   I have noted on this Corsair RAM NewEgg shows the "Timing" and "CAS latency".  I cannot find these spec'd on the Dell certified RAM shown in the upgrades area for my Aurora R7 on Dells web site.   Does this "Timing and CAS Latency" make a difference when I am adding two entirely new sticks of the Corsair RAM with the stock RAM installed.   So, you ask why don't I just purchase the Dell Certified RAM from the Dell Store.  Well the fact is a mere one stick of 16 GB RAM albeit certified for this Aurora R7 is more expensive than two sticks of this Corsair RAM.  Thus my desire to purchase this RAM from NewEgg.  Thanks for taking the time to read my post.  Brad

Corsair.png

August 26th, 2018 17:00

I picked up a Kingston Hyper X  32GB kit HX426C16FBK2/32, and have no issues in my r7.  Cas Latency is 16 on this kit and is a little tighter timing then the 16GB kit that came factory which was 19.  I feel like its a little slower to boot up now but a little snappier once in windows.  After I tested the memory I popped in a 8086k and I can get it overclocked to lvl2 or stage 2, cant remember what its called in bios.  Only issue is processor seems to only hit 4.9Ghz from what I can see.  The Corsair kit you posted is very similar to mine and should work.  Another build I got up and running got the 8700 (non k) and 16Gb ram from the r7.  When I have the funds It will get a 32GB kit probably 3000 or 3200mhz, which I will test first in the r7 to see how it plays along.

September 19th, 2018 21:00

I have 2x 16gb (32gb total) of the 2666mhz oem ram that I plan on selling.

Let me know if you still are looking.

September 21st, 2018 16:00

how much you looking to get for it?

September 30th, 2018 09:00

Hi, sorry didn't see this reply.

I tried buying another 32 from Dell a month ago (before I went 3rd party), they wanted $550 cdn. Which is yes...overpriced.

Not sure where you live, but I have no use for this stuff and would rather it go to good use, and I know how much of a headache it is to get any from Dell. 

I haven't posted it on ebay, amazon, or craigslist yet but prob will soon.

I will let you have it for a firm 200us/250cdn and will consider it a done deal without posting for sale on those sites, for a fellow Dell community member.

Let me know if you are set and we will make arrangements. I understand that trust may be an issue, so perhaps through a moderator or something if needed for your assurance and mine. 

You can email me at if you would like photos etc.

Of note, I also have the RX580 8gb that came with my system up for grabs as well. Replaced with a Vega 64 just two weeks after getting my system. 

All my stuff is pristine to a fault and should deff be considered "like new".

No Events found!