Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

January 26th, 2018 02:00

Aurora-R7, RAM used 16GB HyperX DDR4 XMP 2933MHz

Can anyone give me a link to a website selling this? I'm buying one module with the system, and want to buy another one, separately. I can't find HyperX at 2933MHz for sale anywhere. What am I missing here? Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 15th, 2019 16:00

@AlaskaWolf wrote:

And what's really interesting, in benchmarking tests, the far more expensive 2933 MHz RAM outperformed the 2666 MHz by a staggering 0.35%.    Yep, for more than four times the money, people are gaining that staggering  0.35% (NOT 35%, one third of ONE%) performance increase over the native 2666 MHz RAM.   Choice seemed pretty logical to me, Dell can keep their overpriced RAM.

Good info.

I've always expected as much. It's all very fast now-days. However, I do still believe in Dual-Channel is important for some reason.

I just advise users to go ahead and get that 16gb or 32gb you really want ... now (pre-installed). What you think need for the next 2 years. It's less hassle and warrantied with the rest of the system. If "time is money" the extra cost is minimal. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 15th, 2019 19:00

@steviejones133 wrote:

The above is all fair and good, but it doesn’t exactly sit very well with Dell’s supposed sales approach of “user upgradability” does it?

Buy more ram later? - sure, as long as it’s from  us and we can then charge what we want because you can’t get the upgrade anywhere else!

To me, that is not the best way to play customers

Actually, I mostly agree with you.

If you read those links, when I was caught-up-in-this (I bought my "loaded" Aurora-R6 from the retail website, just like all of you) ... I was hardly publicly silent about my feelings on the matter. Dell was receptive, helpful, accommodating, and we even got some things changed.

Technically, the RAM is fully up-gradable. Even more-so than some machines (including Apple and Lenovo where the ram is soldered-in on some models these-days).   

I can't speak to the Dell stuff ... so I just focus on solutions that are possible and ways to avoid it in the future.

175 Posts

March 15th, 2019 20:00

I've been a fan of dell products for a number of years, starting with my laptop.  This was the same as my works laptop, namely because it worked and using it 8 hours a day meant bred familiarity. 

Regarding gaming pc I went from xps 720, aurora r3 to r7 and reckon that is my last dell.

The use of dell specific products instead of Industry standard  ones such as psu, motherboards and ram has put me off. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 16th, 2019 10:00

@mp_108 wrote:

1. Regarding gaming pc I went from xps 720, aurora r3 to r7 

2. The use of dell specific products instead of Industry standard  ones such as psu, motherboards and ram has put me off. 

1. Both the XPS-410 and then the Aurora-R1 / UltraSharp-u2410-LCD were so trouble-free, reliable, and log-living ... is why I felt safe buying the Aurora-R6 / UltraSharp-u2717d-LCD.

I also bought some Apple, HP, and Lenovo computers during that time. 

2. I'm not really seeing that here. I'm used to nicer retail computers needing specific parts. The only proprietary lock-in I see is the MIO-Board/AW-CC solution, but without that, we would have no lights and this level of cooling.

You can always custom-build your own. :Cool:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 16th, 2019 11:00

@steviejones133 wrote:
Update from my side. Posted on a different thread. https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-compatible-DDR4-memory/m-p/7261236#M9208

Good to hear you found a solution.

Yes, some users with "start over" but additionally ... sell their DIMM to help other users re-marry a matched set.

March 16th, 2019 11:00

No Events found!