Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 1st, 2018 13:00

Aurora R7, Samsung 970 EVO, testing

I just received a new 500 Gb Samsung 970 EVO, so I wanted to do a little comparison against the stock "performance" Toshiba 256Gb XG5 that my Aurora shipped with. After a quick test on UserBenchmark.com, all I can say is "Wow."  

Drive                                                                Bench            Sequential         Random 4K     Deep queue 4k

Samsung 970 EVO 500GB Nvme SSD 
Max speed: PCIe 5,000 MB/s
SYSTEM 4KALIGNED
Performing above expectations (68th  percentile)
339%
Outstanding
Read 2,730
Write 2,206
Mixed 2,383

543% 2,440  MB/s
4K Read 60.4
4K Write 124
4K Mixed 76.7

255% 86.9  MB/s
DQ Read 433
DQ Write 273
DQ Mixed 163

172% 289  MB/s

TOSHIBA Kxg50znv256g 256GB NVMe SSD

SYSTEM 4KALIGNED
Performing below expectations (26th  percentile)
123%
Outstanding
Read 1,758
Write 169
Mixed 364

162% 764  MB/s
4K Read 23.4
4K Write 103
4K Mixed 39.1

140% 55.2  MB/s
DQ Read 338
DQ Write 192
DQ Mixed 96.3

117% 209  MB/s

I knew there would be a difference, I just honestly didn't expect such differences between two newer NVMe drives though. I know I'm comparing a 500Gb drive to a 256Gb one, but still, the difference is fairly significant .  I found it pretty interesting that switching out the SSD changed my performance results from this:

Gaming 118%
UFO
Desktop 115%
UFO
Workstation 111%
UFO

To this:

Gaming 128%
 UFO
Desktop 163%
UFO
Workstation 141%
UFO

The 970 EVO is clearly the winner, hands down.  In all honesty, while your CPU might see the difference, you probably won't; still, its nice to know your PC is performing at optimal levels.   

1 Message

June 7th, 2018 20:00

Some other post made it sound like the Samsung EVO 970 is not compatible with the Aurora. I have an R7 as well. Obviously, you did not have that issue. Was the installation straight forward?

1 Rookie

• 

83 Posts

June 7th, 2018 21:00

@arpadthetall wrote:

Some other post made it sound like the Samsung EVO 970 is not compatible with the Aurora. I have an R7 as well. Obviously, you did not have that issue. Was the installation straight forward?

I'd heard there were some possible issues with some of the older Samsung drives, but the 970 is brand new and I suspect that I might have done the first install in an R7.  The install was very easy, and other than forgetting to do a GPT partition initially, I encountered absolutely no problems with the install.  I'm extremely satisfied with the 500GB 970 EVO and its performance; it's without question one of the best buy upgrades for the R7. 

On a side note, another great upgrade for the R7is the HyperX 2666 MHz RAM, it is actually benchmarking just as fast as the 2933 MHz, for a much lower price.  After playing with them both, I'm suspecting that the HyperX 2933 is nothing more than 2666 with an extra XMP profile.

1 Message

August 31st, 2018 20:00

1 Rookie

• 

83 Posts

September 1st, 2018 05:00

Unfortunately, that procedure won't work too well on the R7 as there is only one NVMe SSD slot.  Well, unless you just want to use older, far slower SATA SSDs.  ;)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 2nd, 2018 08:00

Newer machines also do not support Legacy booting only UEFI.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 2nd, 2018 10:00

@speedstep wrote:

I've been hearing that as well.

It would be interesting to see how Lenovo's new machines handle using their (Authorized Technician Only) Lenovo Maintenance Disk. I'm guessing they had to get it Microsoft blessed to allow it as an Authorized Secure Boot-Kit. Either that, or they came-up with a different solution. Maybe now, all features are now on-board, existing within the UEFI Environment?

1 Rookie

• 

83 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 11:00

@Tesla1856 wrote:

@speedstep wrote:

Not exactly true.  If you recall, Alienware's insistence on setting the R7 BIOS to boot up in Legacy caused me no end of problems initially.  My brand new R7 kept throwing a  ”No Boot Device Available” error, yet the drive was good.  Alienware Tech Support kept insisting that I had to boot up in Legacy with the NVMe drive set to a RAID configuration.  It took me a while of troubleshooting, and hours on the phone, to convince them that UEFI and AHCI actually worked better than their factory settings; I haven't had a single problem since I ditched Alienware's Legacy/RAID set up, so hopefully they fixed their system image for later machines.  While the R7 does in fact "support" Legacy booting,it appears to be less than optimal with newer hardware.  For a lark, I did try setting my 970 EVO up with Alienware's original setting, Legacy and RAID, it just refused to work at all...  

1 Message

September 10th, 2018 18:00

Hello,

I am pleased to hear that you have it working in your R7. I however, did not get the same outcome. I installed the drive, but cannot install the drivers as it is no detected. I have tried re-installing the drive (it is pretty straight forward), and tried to install drivers, but no outcome. 

Did you just re-install windows onto the drive and then install the drivers? I am planning on putting everything on that drive, and pretty much unplugging my SSD. Is that what you did as well?

I could really use the help, and I have a Samsung 970 Evo that is currently not being used! Next step for me is to call Dell to see if they have a solution.

Thanks for any help!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 10th, 2018 18:00

@Ottawa613 wrote:

Hello,

I am pleased to hear that you have it working in your R7. I however, did not get the same outcome. I installed the drive, but cannot install the drivers as it is no detected. I have tried re-installing the drive (it is pretty straight forward), and tried to install drivers, but no outcome. 

Did you just re-install windows onto the drive and then install the drivers? I am planning on putting everything on that drive, and pretty much unplugging my SSD. Is that what you did as well?

I could really use the help, and I have a Samsung 970 Evo that is currently not being used! Next step for me is to call Dell to see if they have a solution.

Thanks for any help!

It should work. Of course, a newer computer should be in UEFI-Mode.
Start with only the NVMe-SSD installed ...

If the BIOS is left in RAID-mode, I think you have to use the Intel F6-Drivers at Windows "select drive" screen. 

But I usually just switch BIOS to AHCI. No F6-Driver required. Clean-install Windows-10 64bit. Never install troublesome Intel-RST. Leaner and works fine.

1 Message

September 10th, 2018 19:00

Hello there,

I've been out of the computing maintenance for a while now but fortunately after a lot of hair pulling and curse words I was able to get mine installed last night using a fresh install off a bootable USB. I changed my settings to legacy and booted a fresh install of windows 10 to my 970 EVO NVMe. Like most trying to clone and booting off of the evo gave me no drive detected errors. None the less I disconnected my hdd before doing the fresh install because it kept trying to install windows 10 back into my HDD while i had it plugged in. After install was complete i went back into bios and changed the settings back to default and all worked well. I reconnected my HDD and reformatted and i am currently using it as storage while all my main programs will be running of my EVO. Just my two cents once again im no expert but Im simply trying to give you my scenario. I hope this helps.   

No Events found!