Start a Conversation

Unsolved

KM

21 Posts

June 17th, 2018 05:00

Aurora-R7, is sleep needed?

I seem to have a lot of issues with my new Aurora r7 waking up from sleep mode.  I think the issue may be my monitors as there are a bunch of threads on the internet about bad firmware with them but they are older and likely past any warranty.  The monitors are a Dell UP3214Qt and a Dell P2815Qf.

Often one or both will be blank when the computer comes out of sleep and can't be recognized until a restart.  Then I'll often see a Windows Recovery message.  I've discovered if I simply have the monitors go to sleep and leave the computer set to Never go to sleep I don't have the issue.

Is there any long term problems for the computer to never go to sleep?  I realize it will use a little more power this way but I'm not overly concerned with that.  I do hear the soft fan always running so I'm not sure if that is the CPU fan and that needs time to "rest" or if it can run 24/7 for years.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 17th, 2018 08:00

Try turning off Hibernation first. Hibernation kicks in after a length of time in Sleep and it requires a brief press of the power button to wake the computer--not a restart. Have you ever tried that? It takes a few seconds longer, but remembers all open windows. Turn it off in Power Options, Additional settings.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 17th, 2018 08:00

I have my recording studio Desktop set to never sleep.  I do "power off" the monitor after 2 hours but nothing else.  I also have the Power plan set to High Performance.  I power on the system in the morning and it stays on until I power it off in the evening.  I've never had a problem because of this. 

21 Posts

June 17th, 2018 09:00

Ok, I'll give that a try.  Is hibernation different from hybrid sleep?  I'll try turning both of those off.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 18th, 2018 04:00

No issues for most of the hardware. HOWEVER the hard drive should be allowed to sleep.  Otherwise it will DIE soon.

Its mechanical and the bearings wear out.  I set all my machines to NEVER SLEEP however the Display goes dark after 5 hours idle and the hard drives are set to sleep after 5 hours.   The default 20 minutes in windows 10 for these things causes serious issues.   I also disable PCI-E power savings/sleep.

The other strategy is to have SSD boot drive and store data on hard drive.

That way there is no issue with sleep.  SSD's detrap when not powered and can lose data because of this in a hot environment.

Setting SSD's to NEVER sleep means they are always powered.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 18th, 2018 14:00

< Does my computer need to go to sleep?

The computer itself (like in a S3 or S5 state) ... It doesn't have to, but it should if it's working properly.

Of course, the spinning HDDs and LCDs should sleep ... or they will burn-out sooner.

21 Posts

June 18th, 2018 19:00

I have an SSD boot drive and a separate HDD drive.  I tried setting it to monitors shut off after 30 minutes, hard drive after 90 minutes and computer sleep after 3 hours.  I've turned off hibernate and hybrid sleep.  I haven't yet had any issues but time will tell...

No Events found!