jd636
1 Copper

Aurora R7, liquid cooling unit

I am seriously considering purchasing an Aurora R7 but need to know which Asetek cooler Alienware is using. This is an important question since Alienware is only using a 120mm fan/radiator combo to cool the 8700K. 

The standard Asetec 550LC uses a standard 25/30mm radiator whereas the 570LC uses a double thick 50/60mm radiator and would be significantly more effective

0 Kudos
39 Replies

Re: Aurora R7 Liquid cooling unit

This is all we see in the parts page =

MH0HN Liquid cooled heatsink for 95w CPU, Asetek USA, vendor part 35-102-0000113

MH0HN.JPG

jd636
1 Copper

Thanks Chris.

Disappointing, that is adequate for stock clocks but questionable for an overclocked CPU. I would have expected more from AW

0 Kudos

The stock clock is 3.70GHz. The MH0HN Liquid cooled heatsink was more than qualified to overclock the i7-8700K up to 4.70GHz. What game would require you to go higher? 

0 Kudos
jd636
1 Copper

World Of Warcraft Player. WoW is pretty CPU bound. On raid nights it's 3hrs in Antorus Burning Throne. My current Rig with a 6700K @ 4.2Ghz and Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler which is rated at 250W TDP keep my CPU between 60c and 63c during the summer months and a tad cooler during the winter months living in the SoCal San Gabriel Valley.

From all the reviews I have seen the 8700K runs quite warm even under gaming loads when over clocked. My fear is with a 120mm CLC the fan will unbearably loud under such conditions trying to keep up with the 8700k heat output

0 Kudos
hapkiman
2 Bronze

Chris:    I know this thread is a bit old, and I don't mean to "hijack" it -- but I am considering adding this Aurora liquid cooling unit to my air cooled Aurora R7 with a non-k i7 8700.  My question is this:  would the coolers four mounting screws fit right into the same holes that the current stock air cooler was using? - Or does this liquid cooler have some kind of a backplate that needs to be mounted on the backside of the mobo first like most AIO's?

Because if it needs a backplate that means a whole tear down and removal of the mobo (since Dell didn't make a cut out section on that side of the case to see the back of the board - which would have been nice).

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@hapkimanwrote:

Chris:    I know this thread is a bit old, and I don't mean to "hijack" it -- but I am considering adding this Aurora liquid cooling unit to my air cooled Aurora R7 with a non-k i7 8700.  My question is this:  would the coolers four mounting screws fit right into the same holes that the current stock air cooler was using? - Or does this liquid cooler have some kind of a backplate that needs to be mounted on the backside of the mobo first like most AIO's?

Because if it needs a backplate that means a whole tear down and removal of the mobo (since Dell didn't make a cut out section on that side of the case to see the back of the board - which would have been nice).

Ok good, looks like you found the Dell part (I see your question there).

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/aurora-liquid-cooling-kit/apd/412-aajj/pc-accessories#polaris-pd

Also, this:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/UPGRADE-ALIENWARE-R5-CPU-TO-K-FROM-NON-K/td-p/6022...

I think I know the answer, but I'd rather not guess, so we will wait for @DELL-Chris M to respond.

Basically, you want to know if this Dell/Alienware Liquid-Cooler part will fit not only the Aurora-R5/R6, but also the Aurora-R7 (that originally came with stock Alienware air/fan cooler) ... and what to do about the back-plate? ... Right?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@hapkimanwrote:

I am considering adding this Aurora liquid cooling unit to my air cooled Aurora R7 with a non-k i7 8700. 

Not sure if you have an Aurora-R5 or R7, but I don't guess it matters.

So, with a newer Aurora that comes air-fan cooled from the factory...

1. Does it come with an "Top Fan" installed?
2. Does the upper case come vented?

I guess what I'm asking is the upper case ready for the Liquid-Cooler ... so it's just a matter of installing it?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Stan z
1 Copper

+1 would also like to know
0 Kudos

Chris M-

Is the cooler you posted the exact same as this one so it would work in an Aurora R7?

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/aurora-liquid-cooling-kit/apd/412-aajj/pc-accessories

0 Kudos