Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

5 Posts

February 14th, 2019 19:00

Aurora R7, unable to upgrade to 64GB RAM

So I purchased this machine about a year ago on Dell's site. And after a while, I wanted to upgrade my RAMto 32GB, but the model was too new to have the same model of the RAM (HyperX Fury 2933). So then I went to Kingston's HyperX site and bought 2 x 16 GB Predator 3000. It works like a charm, can be OC to XMP2, the only disadvantage is that it only works under 2666 not 2933 or 3000. Recently I want to upgrade again from 32GB to 64GB, so I bought another 2 x 16 GB HyperX Predator 3000. Then, when I tried to put in 4 Predators, then the pc gives me 4 yellow blinks, indicated that there's a memory failure. Then I tried to put them in individually, all RAMs work perfectly fine. I called Dell Customer Support and told them that the motherboard may be defective, but they just said that because the RAMs are not purchased from them so they cannot help.

I think that 4 x 16 GB of HyperX Predator should work, but it doesn't. Anybody have some solutions to try or explanations to say why it doesn't work? I've already checked that my BIOS version is the newest one.

Here's the picture of Predator 3000 working perfectly fine under XMP2mfSghql

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 15th, 2019 05:00

I am curious, what happens if you install all 4 RAM modules and do not apply any OC, are they recognized then?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 15th, 2019 07:00

Dell only validated 64GB XMP using our OEM 16GB memory stick =
RMWRN XMP 16GB, 2933MHz, DDR4, 2Gx64, 8K, 288 pin, 2Rx8, Dual Rank, Unbuffered, 1.35v, Non-ECC

You should remove all 3rd party ram and test the originally shipped Dell OEM memory sticks in all four DIMM slots. If it works, the motherboard is fine.

Test #1 Bank 1 =
Black DIMM 1 (XMM1) (closest to the CPU)
Black DIMM 3 (XMM3)

Test #2 Bank 2 =
White DIMM 2 (XMM2)
White DIMM 4 (XMM4)

5 Posts

February 15th, 2019 07:00

@JOcean wrote:

I am curious, what happens if you install all 4 RAM modules and do not apply any OC, are they recognized then?

Still 4 yellow blinks :(

5 Posts

February 15th, 2019 08:00

@DELL-Chris M wrote:

Dell only validated 64GB XMP using our OEM 16GB memory stick =
RMWRN XMP 16GB, 2933MHz, DDR4, 2Gx64, 8K, 288 pin, 2Rx8, Dual Rank, Unbuffered, 1.35v, Non-ECC

You should remove all 3rd party ram and test the originally shipped Dell OEM memory sticks in all four DIMM slots. If it works, the motherboard is fine.

Test #1 Bank 1 =
Black DIMM 1 (XMM1) (closest to the CPU)
Black DIMM 3 (XMM3)

Test #2 Bank 2 =
White DIMM 2 (XMM2)
White DIMM 4 (XMM4)

OK, so I tried to do what you said, and this is the result of the test:

XMM 1 - success

XMM 2 - 

- Failed, then tried to insert again

- Success

XMM 3 - Success

XMM 4 - Success

Then, I tried to insert back my Predator RAMs, then here's the result:

XMM 2 & XMM 4 - 

- Failed, then I reinserted the RAM on XMM 2 

- Success

February 15th, 2019 15:00

I have been using 64gb of Hyper x fury branded ram under xmp1 @ 2933 for a good while without issues so far.

Only issue I had was one stick having errors, so the company exchanged for me.

I think the key here, is that you need the "fury" stuff to get 2933 performance.

5 Posts

February 15th, 2019 16:00

@PentatonicSteel wrote:

I have been using 64gb of Hyper x fury branded ram under xmp1 @ 2933 for a good while without issues so far.

Only issue I had was one stick having errors, so the company exchanged for me.

I think the key here, is that you need the "fury" stuff to get 2933 performance.

Regardless of the performance, it SHOULD be able to boot under 4 x 16 GB RAMs. Your answer is much more likely to answer a question which is asking about not getting 2933, not "UNABLE TO BOOT, " which is the question I am asking about.

February 15th, 2019 17:00

Well...

I am not having boot issues either...so there is that...

I hope you get your issue resolved buds. 

I am thinking it's simply a case of the finicky Dell mobo and 3rd party ram. 

When I bought my ram, I made sure to read user reviews in an attempt to confirm full compatibility before purchasing. 

Ah...the Dell life...cringing every time a software update enables...and crossing fingers it boots afterward :D

5 Posts

@PentatonicSteel wrote:

Well...

I am not having boot issues either...so there is that...

:Crying:

1 Message

April 12th, 2019 09:00

I am having a similar problem. My R7 shipped about a year ago with 32GB (2x16GB HyperX Fury 2933DRAMs) and was shipped with the ram running in XMP 2 mode at 2933MHz. I upgraded from 32GB to 64GB by adding two additional HyperX 16GB Fury modules (HX434C19FRK2/32) to the two empty slots. The addition of those two modules forced XMP mode in the advanced settings of the BIOS to "DISABLED" and it also eliminated the "MEMORY" adjustments button in the OC Controls where I would create a custom User Profile. It also rolled back the 2933MHz clock frequency that my memory was running at to 2400MHz. As an experiment I removed the original modules and replaced then with the two new modules to see if I could get back to the original configuration of 32GB running XMP2 at 2933MHz with the new modules. This was successful (at least at first) so it was clear that these modules could run at that speed. Interestingly though, after a few cycles of moving things around I found that the computer would no longer boot with the new modules in the slots where the modules were originally shipped and I started getting the 4 blink error code. It's like the computer finally caught on that these were not the modules shipped from Dell. Very strange. My final configuration, though very disappointed, is that I now have 64GB ram but am only running at 2400MHz. My BIOS version is 1.0.18.

10 Posts

September 5th, 2019 21:00

Like you I had the original HyperX Fury 2400 32GB in my R7. I added another 32GB of HyperX 2933 RAM in April. All was good until the latest Alienware BIOS update 1.0.19. Now there is no way to run 64GB of RAM. For me anyway. I even bought and tried some more HyperX 3466 RAM. I was told the by a Kingston rep that the HyperX RAM installed in Alienware computers is different than normal HyperX RAM. So I tried all non-Dell installed RAM and it still does not work. It will run two slots at 32GB but not all four with 64GB no matter what I put in there. Hopefully a BIOS update will fix this.

Quote from Kingston rep:

"Ah, I think I see the issue, The RAM that originally comes with the Aurora is not the "official" HyperX Fury kit for the same speed, it's a Dell/Alienware customized kit with different running specifications. It's incompatible with non-Dell-customized memory when used in the same board. However, it will present as system instability in a lot of cases rather than outright failure."

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 6th, 2019 08:00

The R7 only officially supports up to 2933 RAM, but some users have gotten it up to 3200.  The R7 is very particular with RAM.  Dell may not have provided support for the 3466 RAM (even if downclocked to 2933). 

Does your system post with just the two 3466 sticks for 32 GB?  If not, there's your answer.   I suspect that, plus the issue of having mismatched RAM, is probably causing your issues. 

I think you have 2 options: (2) return the 3466, and put the old memory configuration back with BIOs 1.0.18; (2) return the 3466 and purchase a set of 32 GB of Kingston Hyper X Fury 2933.

I have 64 GB Kingston hyper X fury running at 2933 in my R7. 

1 Message

January 15th, 2024 01:04

Regarding the memory upgrade to 64GB on the Aurora R7. - After searching for a solution for the past few years, I can confirm that the following memory works with no issues (4X16).  I did not have to mess with the bios (1.0.26) . XMP was already set to on.  Installed and booted up fine immediately recognizing the ram.

Crucial Pro RAM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C29R9LNL?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 

No Events found!