RaenonX
1 Copper

Aurora R7, unable to upgrade to 64GB RAM

So I purchased this machine about a year ago on Dell's site. And after a while, I wanted to upgrade my RAMto 32GB, but the model was too new to have the same model of the RAM (HyperX Fury 2933). So then I went to Kingston's HyperX site and bought 2 x 16 GB Predator 3000. It works like a charm, can be OC to XMP2, the only disadvantage is that it only works under 2666 not 2933 or 3000. Recently I want to upgrade again from 32GB to 64GB, so I bought another 2 x 16 GB HyperX Predator 3000. Then, when I tried to put in 4 Predators, then the pc gives me 4 yellow blinks, indicated that there's a memory failure. Then I tried to put them in individually, all RAMs work perfectly fine. I called Dell Customer Support and told them that the motherboard may be defective, but they just said that because the RAMs are not purchased from them so they cannot help.

I think that 4 x 16 GB of HyperX Predator should work, but it doesn't. Anybody have some solutions to try or explanations to say why it doesn't work? I've already checked that my BIOS version is the newest one.

Here's the picture of Predator 3000 working perfectly fine under XMP2mfSghql

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Re: Aurora R7, unable to upgrade to 64GB RAM

I am curious, what happens if you install all 4 RAM modules and do not apply any OC, are they recognized then?

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
RaenonX
1 Copper

@JOcean wrote:

I am curious, what happens if you install all 4 RAM modules and do not apply any OC, are they recognized then?

Still 4 yellow blinks 😞

0 Kudos

Dell only validated 64GB XMP using our OEM 16GB memory stick =
RMWRN XMP 16GB, 2933MHz, DDR4, 2Gx64, 8K, 288 pin, 2Rx8, Dual Rank, Unbuffered, 1.35v, Non-ECC

You should remove all 3rd party ram and test the originally shipped Dell OEM memory sticks in all four DIMM slots. If it works, the motherboard is fine.

Test #1 Bank 1 =
Black DIMM 1 (XMM1) (closest to the CPU)
Black DIMM 3 (XMM3)

Test #2 Bank 2 =
White DIMM 2 (XMM2)
White DIMM 4 (XMM4)

0 Kudos
RaenonX
1 Copper

@DELL-Chris M wrote:

Dell only validated 64GB XMP using our OEM 16GB memory stick =
RMWRN XMP 16GB, 2933MHz, DDR4, 2Gx64, 8K, 288 pin, 2Rx8, Dual Rank, Unbuffered, 1.35v, Non-ECC

You should remove all 3rd party ram and test the originally shipped Dell OEM memory sticks in all four DIMM slots. If it works, the motherboard is fine.

Test #1 Bank 1 =
Black DIMM 1 (XMM1) (closest to the CPU)
Black DIMM 3 (XMM3)

Test #2 Bank 2 =
White DIMM 2 (XMM2)
White DIMM 4 (XMM4)

OK, so I tried to do what you said, and this is the result of the test:

XMM 1 - success

XMM 2 - 

- Failed, then tried to insert again

- Success

XMM 3 - Success

XMM 4 - Success

Then, I tried to insert back my Predator RAMs, then here's the result:

XMM 2 & XMM 4 - 

- Failed, then I reinserted the RAM on XMM 2 

- Success

0 Kudos

I have been using 64gb of Hyper x fury branded ram under xmp1 @ 2933 for a good while without issues so far.

Only issue I had was one stick having errors, so the company exchanged for me.

I think the key here, is that you need the "fury" stuff to get 2933 performance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RaenonX
1 Copper

@PentatonicSteel wrote:

I have been using 64gb of Hyper x fury branded ram under xmp1 @ 2933 for a good while without issues so far.

Only issue I had was one stick having errors, so the company exchanged for me.

I think the key here, is that you need the "fury" stuff to get 2933 performance.

Regardless of the performance, it SHOULD be able to boot under 4 x 16 GB RAMs. Your answer is much more likely to answer a question which is asking about not getting 2933, not "UNABLE TO BOOT, " which is the question I am asking about.

0 Kudos

Well...

I am not having boot issues either...so there is that...

0 Kudos
RaenonX
1 Copper

@PentatonicSteel wrote:

Well...

I am not having boot issues either...so there is that...

:Crying:

0 Kudos

I hope you get your issue resolved buds. 

I am thinking it's simply a case of the finicky Dell mobo and 3rd party ram. 

When I bought my ram, I made sure to read user reviews in an attempt to confirm full compatibility before purchasing. 

Ah...the Dell life...cringing every time a software update enables...and crossing fingers it boots afterward 😄

0 Kudos