Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

December 30th, 2020 08:00

Aurora R8, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming, Noctua nf-a12x15-pwm-chromax-black-swap

Hello all,

First off big thanks to all who have posted about GPU upgrades and notably about replacing the front fan, otherwise I would have had to settle for something less. Particular mention for the thread Aurora R8, EVGA Geforce RTX 3090 install results.

Finally my project of upgrading the GPU has completed, just 2 steps, (not hard with the maintenance doc from dells website):

1. Replace the front fan with a Noctua nf-a12x15-pwm-chromax-black-swap. Done 1 month ago.

2. Replace the GTX 1060 with EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING. Done today after 1 month waiting for the card.

Less hassle as the card fits without cutting the triangle, I am concerned about the stability of the PSU door if the triangle is cut out, applicable for all EVGA RTX XC cards (3070-90).

Thermals on GPU down from 80°C (120hz 1440p) to 73°C (164hz 1440p).

Pictures to follow

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

January 23rd, 2021 08:00

Yeah maybe, just gonna do a minimalist transfer to start off with.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

Yea, Nice! I also refrained from cutting the bezel. Now that you have the cosmos coming you will have a much bigger project to focus on soon. 

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

Though I have not broken off any wires on the side panels, I have broke my fair share of clips on them. My case now have panels that have mm sized gaps with the main chassis. Like they said, live by the mod, die by the mod.

May I recommend you consider one of these fine cases for your case swap?

Fractal Design Meshify Series

Lian Li Lancool ii Mesh

Be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX

Cooler Master H500 Series

Corsair 4000D/ 5000D

Let us know how your next adventure goes!

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

@GTS81  Like they said, live by the mod, die by the mod. 

Yeah baby! 

One step at a time, move everything except MB.

I am intending on moving my Dell OEM 850w PSU  Do you think I will need PSU extension cables?

As to the case I have the C700P coming soon

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

@r72019 No sir, suprising huh?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

Awesome and detailed instructions of your progress! Since the additional front fan helped improved the temps just curious if you made any mods to the front bezel / grill before adding it back?

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

January 23rd, 2021 10:00

@GTS81  For Z390 motherboard, any of the higher end Asus/ MSI/ Gigabyte would serve you well. I bought an MSI MEG ACE Z390 this time last year at a great price and it has lasted me to this very day.

Trouble finding stock on the ACE, I decided on this one based on your advice and availability, thanks:

Z390 AORUS ULTRA (rev. 1.0)Z390 AORUS ULTRA (rev. 1.0)

Has quite a few good nobs and dials for my C700P.

I still was wondering if I needed cable extensions for the OEM PSU 

17 Posts

January 30th, 2021 19:00

@markburv 

Have a question for you

When you tested the temperature differences before and after with the top front fan after removing the HDD cage (you reported 100 to 82 after installation) what new fans, if any, did you already install? Was it solely just adding the new top front fan while using stock fans or did you replace the rad and bottom front fan as well?

Reason I ask is because I think I'll finally add said front top fan sometime next week but wondering what temp differences I'm looking to get if any

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

January 31st, 2021 00:00

Hi @hpereze 

Just the bottom front fan to make room for the GPU.

I installed in this order:

• Bottom front fan to 15mm
  • GPU Timespy 100°
  • Moved HDD,  Added 2.5" SDD, Added Upper front fan without front bezel 82°
  • Added filters, Repasted CPU, Added NVMe SSD 75°
  • Repasted CPU, Added NVMe SSD 75°
  • Changed cooling to push/pull ML120 Pros, Repasted CPU

17 Posts

January 31st, 2021 08:00

@markburv 

Thanks for the info! Let's see what results I get once the new fan here here later this week

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

February 9th, 2021 00:00

@hpereze 

Any news?

March 17th, 2021 04:00

really awesome that this was done. got some questions though.

when i first glanced at this, i thought all that was required to swap out a 3080 into an R8 was

1. 850+ power supply
  2. Lower intake fan swap
  3. Possibly a fan filter to go with swap
  4. an EVGA RTX 3080 XC3

After reading through this whole thread, it seems like a lot more was involved than what i was thinking.

i use all the drive cages in my unit, including the upper one behind the upper intake fan. While i know i should just get bigger drives and replace the smaller ones, i don't currently feel like i have that as a viable option.

I'd like to know 2 things:

1. What is the best order to do all these mods in?
  2. What mods are absolutely required for safely getting the 3080 in the case and operational?

thank you!

March 17th, 2021 04:00

i apologize for the possible double post. this has got to be one of the most confusing forum setups i've ever seen.

really awesome that this was done. got some questions though.

when i first glanced at this, i thought all that was required to swap out a 3080 into an R8 was

1. 850+ power supply
  2. Lower intake fan swap
  3. Possibly a fan filter to go with swap
  4. an EVGA RTX 3080 XC3

After reading through this whole thread, it seems like a lot more was involved than what i was thinking.

i use all the drive cages in my unit, including the upper one behind the upper intake fan. While i know i should just get bigger drives and replace the smaller ones, i don't currently feel like i have that as a viable option.

I'd like to know 2 things:

1. What is the best order to do all these mods in?
  2. What mods are absolutely required for safely getting the 3080 in the case and operational?

thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

April 17th, 2021 10:00

Hello @AMurderOfCrows 

Sorry I missed this reply if you use the @ character to notify someone in particular, a lot easier to find your reply

Maybe I am too late to respond.

1. Basicly, 15mm fan, then GPU.

2. Upper front fan is really the only main additional thing for thermals.

If you do not have an high wattage PSU (850) then bear in mind you mat need an extra power cable for the optical drive if you have one.

The filters are not mandatory, moreso paranoia 

As for your HDD and 2 SDDs, really you need to think hard about (2) above. You will probably be replacing a blower GPU with a non-blower, thus you will have more heat inside the case, otherwise expect higher CPU temperatures.

53 Posts

February 14th, 2022 04:00

Amazing work! But silly question first, what is the max length of a 30 series card to fit in without swapping the lower front fan? Thanks! 

No Events found!