Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

G

2.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 09:00

Aurora R8, Experience of Buying

My Alienware Aurora R8 experience

It has been 95 days since I hit the "order" button and at this point, I am glad to say that I am happy with my purchase of the R8. My decision to buy an Alienware desktop started a month before that when I bought another Dell system, an Optiplex 27" AIO with i7 8700 and GTX 1050. At that time, my plan was to use the PC mainly as a surfing/ email machine with some additional juice to run games like Forza Horizon 4. Long story short, that plan fell apart and I decided I needed something that I can have a little bit more control over. Enter the desktop PC.
I've been over to several BYO websites like wepc and pcgamer to look at building my own rig but like many of us here observed, Dell's solution are usually cheaper... provided you're willing to live with what it means to deal with the many colorful issues we see in this forum.

Configured my system as below (trimmed to show the main parts):
1 210-ARGS Alienware Aurora R8
1 801-1540 Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year
1 490-BEUO AMD Radeon RX 560X with 4GB GDDR5
1 321-BDXH 850W EPA Bronze PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis
1 801-1493 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Initial Year
1 570-AACN Alienware Mouse Is Not Included
1 580-ABUI Keyboard Not Included
1 555-BDBY 802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth
1 400-AMXY 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s (64MB Cache)
1 370-ADUC 8GB, DDR4 2666MHz
1 619-AHCQ Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
1 338-BSDW 9th Gen Intel Core i5-9400 (6-Core/6-Thread 9M Cache,4.1GHz Processor with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

The order was placed about a week before a US holiday so I was wary of a price drop. However, there was a good 15% discount and that takes a big chunk out of the 850W PSU + liquid cooling upgrade. Total damage is $875 + $76 in tax. I also have DFS account with 12 month interest-free payment and 6% reward.

Like many of you AW owners, waiting for the PC to arrive was a practice of patience. Initially the system showed that it will take ~10 days for it to arrive. I reached out to order support via chat and the rep was very helpful in explaining that other than ready-to-ship AW (like the tons of outlet R7s), most AW systems are built after order received. He did mention he will put a note that we chatted about my wait time concern. I didn't expect that to change anything until 2 days later, I was notified the system was shipped! And 2 days after that, a huge brown box with an alien head sat on my front porch. Without any signature required. Thanks UPS!

Unboxing the system brought me back to my first Dell which was a 17" laptop bought as a college graduation gift in 2003. As I plugged the cables and powered on the system, everything was flawless. Including Cortana's 90dB "HELLO". Ran Heaven benchmark just to get some numbers on the RX560 before shutting down the system and adding/ replacing the following:

WD Blue 1 TB HDD --> Crucial P1 500GB SSD [$61]
RX560X --> MSI RX580 Armor OC 8GB [$160 after $20 rebate]

Reinstalled Win10 with the image from Dell's recovery tool on the SSD. Everything worked great after that until the day I decided to upgrade my RAM...

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 10th, 2019 16:00

I installed two 25mm fans, and a 27mm radiator (Corsair H60) inside the metal box you have pictured.  Nothing on top except 4 screws.  I know the OEM Nidec fan included with the Alienware AIO is much wider than 25 mm and I've heard that you cannot get a second 25mm fan on a push/pull with the stock AIO/fan combo. 

Anyway, I used 6-32 x 1.25" machine screws (8 of them) to do the push pull configuration.  The installed height was 77mm (2 x 25mm + 27mm).  There's good clearance for opening and closing the case. I bolted the contraption down from the top of the metal box you have pictured, and from the bottom too. So 4 screws on top, 4 on bottom.  I don't know if the stock alienware radiator uses the same size screws as the corsair radiator. 

Awesome setup, BTW.  Thanks for posting all those great photos of the install!  The thermal paste on my H60 cpu cooler looked like that too, and there was a plastic wrapper and hard plastic covering to protect it during shipping. 

REPLYING TO: 

If you have any advice on how to get that push pull configuration working with 2x M120 Pro and a 25mm-27mm radiator (Alienware/ Corsair h55/ NZXT m22; they are all around this thickness @ 150mm x 120mm). I tried stacking my ML120 Pro on top of the radiator mount of the R8 casing like below but am unable to close the top cover due to the height.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 10th, 2019 16:00

Here is a photo.  One advantage of using 25mm fans, instead of the stock Nidec fan, is that it allows you to swap out the fans fairly easily without detaching the cooler from the CPU.  I made several swaps after the setup pictured below.

four screws up top herefour screws up top here

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 10th, 2019 17:00

still waiting for Mods to approve your photo.

Looks like a nice fit. Great job!

What fans do you have installed now?

2.2K Posts

August 10th, 2019 19:00

@r72019 , thanks so much for the answer. I was almost headed out the door to the nearest UPS to drop off 1 of the ML120 for return to online retailer because I thought  I no longer have a good use for it. Now I will keep it but will not be doing the push-pull until I move on to an unlocked CPU. With just the Alienware AIO + ML120, the stock i5-9400 struggles to push past 50C under 3DMark's CPU load test.

@Anonymous :

He also removed some of the restriction (with a blow torch) . . . not sure if you are up for something like that.

Been reading up on rotary cutters like Dremel in the situation where the 15mm fan doesn't work. Luckily I dodged that bullet. However, the front grill has to go before I can upgrade to a 2080 Ti with a similar setup (most likely just go for Seahawk X). The reason is that my current setup is much less thermal efficient compared to @HanoverB as he is able to hit same temps on a higher TDP card. Currently my setup averages 60C when card is drawing ~150W so to go to a higher powered card, I definitely need to:

1. Remove any obstacle between fan and radiator.

2. Revert to 25mm fan with higher static pressure + airflow.

The only way I can see that happening is by getting a rotary cutter to cut off the lower front and let the fan slide a little bit inside. If I can master cutting a case with a rotary cutter, I'll see if the top can be further enlarged to fit a 240mm radiator for the CPU. 

2.2K Posts

August 10th, 2019 20:00

Added back the Noctua AF8 in the rear and used a Y-splitter with the front fan. Added the LNA to the front fan and kept it spinning as the same setting in AWCC which means some percentage slower hence more quiet. The rear fan helped in pushing out hot air despite the lowered airflow through the radiator. Able to hit 1450MHz now in 3DMark @ 62C max GPU temperature.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 11th, 2019 10:00

For the top exhaust, I ultimately settled on reinserting the AVC case fan in on a pull configuration (not pictured), and a Noctua NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM fan in a push configuration (top left in photo).  I connected them to the Top Fan header using a Y splittler.  I tracked PWM to the AVC fan, as you don't have to worry about startup errors as long as you have the OEM fan on PWM.  

For the front, I have the Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fan (top right in photo).  This fan works without any startup errors in the front. 

On the VRM heatsink, I have a Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM fan (bottom right in photo).

I set up custom fan curves to auto load with windows. 

I didn't have any startup errors with the Corsair fan either, but it seemed a little inefficient for me to have a slower fan in the pull setting, as that would be limiting the capabilities of the push fan.   On the flip side, it didn't seem efficient to have a higher static pressure fan in a pull setting.  Ideally, I'd have 2 identical fans, but Dell's BIOS settings threw a wrench in that plan, and I don't want to spend any more money on fans at this point (I still have a spare Noctua NF F12 IPPC 3000, and spare dell AVC fan, sitting around unused as backups).

On the topic of the OEM Dell fans (Nidec, AVC), they are server grade fans, so they are LOUD and they are not made from high quality parts.  You can order them direct from China for approximately $15 per fan (less if you order more than 1), shipping included.  On the plus side, they are designed to move a LOT of air - approximately 147 - 149 CFM, with a max rotational speed over 4000 RPM.  I can't find any data on static pressure for them, but considering the rated airflow and gaps between the fan blades I'd assume the OEM Dell fans are NOT high static pressure fans.  

One final caveat on the Corsair H60 fans.  I purchased the older version Corsair H60 from Best Buy when it was on sale for $45 a few months back (I think they were clearing old stock).  I don't have the most recent 2018 version of the Corsair H60. The fan included with the older H60 is rated for up to 2000 RPM, and I didn't have any errors with that fan.  The current version of the H60 only includes a fan rated for 1700 RPM. 

Here is a photo from the bottom side, showing clearance for the swing out PSU contraption, with 2 x 25mm fans, and a 27 mm radiator, sandwiched in a push/pull configuration.  I also have the OEM GPU in the top slot, but it was removed for the photo.  

four screws on bottom fan herefour screws on bottom fan here

REPLYING TO:  

What fans do you have installed now?

2.2K Posts

August 11th, 2019 12:00

I set up custom fan curves to auto load with windows

Is this using AWCC or some other software? Speedfan won't even detect my fans connected to the motherboard. Ok, that was before all the funky fan work. Now it just craps out with an access violation.

...and I don't want to spend any more money on fans at this point

That is so true. I think some of us here have might have spent more money on the mods than the original PC bought from Dell. 

Just earlier today:

Wife - Are you running some illegal operation using that new computer? You're spending so much time in the garage tinkering with it.

Me - No I'm not. Just that Dell isn't building PCs very well. Gotta take things into my own hands.

Wife - Then why did you buy it?

Me - Well, they have great marketing and some reviews seemed to praise this model...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 11th, 2019 14:00

..and I don't want to spend any more money on fans at this point

That is so true. I think some of us here have might have spent more money on the mods than the original PC bought from Dell. 

I'm thinking about starting a fan distributorship. Since I have the XPS 8930, I had to buy the Aurora mounting brackets for the top exhaust and lower front intake from the big auction site; each came with the OEM fan. I replaced those with Noctua PWM fans and added the upper front intake Noctua PWM fan. Then I swapped the three PWM Noctuas for three FLX 3-Pin Noctua fans. Now I've got three new AeroCool DS 120 blue LED fans (still in the packages) that I am going to use for my newest mods, once I sort out the hard tube logistics issues. Fortunately, I was able to give away my OEM heatsink/blower fan to someone in the Community that can use it.

My wife only comes upstairs to my home office occasionally. I think you have seen a photo of that ginormous, blue LED glowing external radiator tower sitting on my desk. When she walks by she takes a quick eye-glance at it, but she has never said a word, or even acknowledged its existence. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 11th, 2019 16:00

Good luck my friend.

Ha . . . thank you. I'm really not too worried about it.

I may end up just reconfiguring a soft tube liquid system. I have been working with the hard tube and fittings that I ordered, and in the small XPS case, the fittings seem gigantic (but it is actually just a really small case). As an example, if I make a 100 mm run from the CPU water block out to clear the graphics card, it is like 68 mm of fitting and 32 mm of tubing, which I think looks stupid. Anyway, still working on that design. Unfortunately, to really get some good measurements, I have to drain the liquid system and swap out the fittings, which I have not done yet. I guess there is always the heat gun and custom bending without all the fittings. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

You all are lucky.  During the four weeks I spent upgrading/testing/setting up my PC, my wife showed no interest at all, aside from the occasional comment that it was such as waste to have a brand new PC that I wasn't even using, or to ask how much money I intended to spend on this project. 

Then, once I told her everything was all set up and ready to go, and that I was done spending money on it, she promptly thanked me for setting up her new computer system.  According to her, the latest version of her work's proprietary software runs really slow on her laptop, so the timing of the new PC was excellent and apparently there are no issues when she uses my PC.  Now, on days when we both work from home, I get to use my old laptop while sitting at what used to be her desk.  Meanwhile, she sits at my desk with my new PC, using my mouse/keyboard, while eating potato chips or other crumbly food products, and listening to pandora on my new Bose desktop speaker system, on stations that she added to my pandora account (my pandora is connected to Alexa, which outputs to my desktop speakers).  

I don't know, I haven't installed speedfan. I tried to keep things simple and only used/installed AWCC to set the fan curves.  I realize the AWCC program has much room for improvement.  One thought, maybe there's a conflict between the two different programs being granted access to fan adjust settings and perhaps it might help if you uninstalled AWCC.  Or, if not, another program to consider is HWinfo.   

On a related note, thanks @Anonymous , the refresh trick really helps. 

REPLYING TO: 

My wife only comes upstairs to my home office occasionally. I think you have seen a photo of that ginormous, blue LED glowing external radiator tower sitting on my desk. When she walks by she takes a quick eye-glance at it, but she has never said a word, or even acknowledged its existence.

Wife - Are you running some illegal operation using that new computer? You're spending so much time in the garage tinkering with it.

Is this using AWCC or some other software? Speedfan won't even detect my fans connected to the motherboard. Ok, that was before all the funky fan work. Now it just craps out with an access violation.

2.2K Posts

Those new RGB fans are going to draw attention and questions. From there you’ll be required to disclose the inside of that nondescript XPS casing where all the hard tubing custom loop will come to light. Good luck my friend.

2.2K Posts

August 11th, 2019 23:00

@Anonymous maybe it's also time to consider routing some of the tubing outside of the casing? I see a "handle" formed by a notch in the back panel as a grip point to pull out the GPU. Would it fit a tubing if you drilled through it and placed a guiding seal on it? Then you could do the same using one of the PCIe slot opening for the GPU. I think you mentioned considering that before in your earlier post.

@r72019 , this sounds perfect because now you have a reason to get another PC, which hopefully doesn't have the limitation of the R7 such as the BIOS lockdown on supported CPU. Of course, that's all dependent on the state of your home's technology fund. 

Here's the pic du jour

IMG_6309.jpg

As you can see, I had my glass of hefeweizen  ready and even made a trip to Home Depot to buy those 6-32s @r72019 mentioned for my fan sandwich project next week. It was supposed to be a relaxing evening with no opening of the pc case.

Did some stress test today on 3DMark Time Spy with various clock speeds and fan curves. Every time I hit the 4th or 5th iteration, GPU temp will shoot from 60C to 80C in less than a minute. The FANS JUST STOP. I even see it in AWCC that it's showing 0%. It is followed by the fans turning on and off in increasing frequency until temps came down. And no matter what I do in AWCC, fixed speed or curve, the issue persisted.

So I removed the LNA as that's my first suspect; that the AW board cannot understand the adjustment resistor. Plugged in the system and there's grinding of fan blades against something. Great...

Turns out the sound came from the G12 fan. Initially I couldn't figure out why. There's no wire blocking it. But yet another problem presented itself. The GDDR5 heat sink has fallen out of place! So I had no choice but to remove the card. Felt much easier today as I'm more confident in angling the card a certain way and only let the card plate slide against the case.

The heatsink was sandwiched between the Armor shroud and secured in place with the screws that held the shroud to the card. When I removed the shroud, the heatsink remained because of the tacky thermal pad. And I also found the root to the fan's problem: a piece of thermal pad covering the VRMs. Which is totally useless now because the fan should just blow on it directly.

Without the LNA, passed stress test. Card overclocked to 1450MHz @ 2150MHz GDDR5.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 12th, 2019 08:00

Nice problem solving! I think it's too soon for me to get away with a new computer purchase at this point. I'll probably build my own next time around, but I did notice, for anyone who may be looking, that Dell was having a pretty good deal on new R8s over the weekend and seems to still be on today (R8, RTX 2070 Super, 9700 CPU [$90 more for K], 1TB M2 NVME PCIE boot, liquid cooled, 850W PSU, and 16 GB RAM for $1,411.49 - $200 Dell Visa Card promo = $1,211.49, with coupon code LCS10OFF.  More discounts available, if you have the Amex offer (10%) or create a Dell account (3%). 

2.2K Posts

August 13th, 2019 23:00

Updates 8/13.

1. Wanted to route radiator fan to GPU fan port so that I can set up GPU fan curve using Afterburner and not rely on AWCC. Bought a mini GPU fan header adapter that was a dud because the GPU-side piece was so tall it couldn't clear the G12 VRM fan. Returned and bought one that looks small enough with an un-sleeved flexi connection to the header from EKWB. Arriving tomorrow.

2. Dropping the top radiator fan sandwich idea for now. Right now with 1x ML120, it is sitting flush with the top of the casing. Adding another one of those bad boy will take away 25mm which leaves a small gap with the top of the swing out bracket. I will take the bigger gap for now and improvise when I get an unlocked CPU. Maybe trade my i5-9400 with someone who likes to only run their unlocked CPU at 1.75GHz.

3. Annoying buzzing sound #1 coming from pc! Started disconnecting fan headers 1 by 1. It's the 92mm from NZXT for VRM fan. Great, more $$ going to Noctua. For now I just connect an LNA to it. Benefit of overbuying components.

4. Annoying buzzing sound #2 that can be heard only when ear is next to side panel. The h55 pump! Too many posts online about this. I'm tired. Maybe try a different pump when I move up to a 2080 Super or Ti. Gotta buy a 4K display first during Black Friday.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 14th, 2019 17:00

GTS81

3. Annoying buzzing sound #1 coming from pc! Started disconnecting fan headers 1 by 1. It's the 92mm from NZXT for VRM fan. Great, more $$ going to Noctua. For now I just connect an LNA to it. Benefit of overbuying components.

Speaking of 'overbuying components', I have a brand new, unopened Noctua NF-A9 FLX 92 mm fan that I will never use. If that will work for your application, you are welcome to it. Just message me where you want it shipped.

I also have two new Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120 mm fans. Anybody??

. . . and two OEM AVC 120 mm fans that came with the two Aurora Rx brackets I bought  from the big auction site.

No Events found!