Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

Re: Aurora R8, Experience of Buying

@r72019     With the redux brand, the corner vibration pieces, cables, y splitter, etc. are not included, just fyi.

Thanks. I have like 8 Noctua fans sitting around I could steal parts from, if needed. If I don't steal the corner pieces, I may do a 360mm gasket. I have been looking at those, just in case I have room for that Nautilus rad cover.

Highlighted
GTS81
4 Tellurium

@Dell630i :

@r72019     With the redux brand, the corner vibration pieces, cables, y splitter, etc. are not included, just fyi.

Thanks. I have like 8 Noctua fans sitting around I could steal parts from, if needed. If I don't steal the corner pieces, I may do a 360mm gasket. I have been looking at those, just in case I have room for that Nautilus rad cover.

That's so tempting isn't it. Tonight I had a good dose of reality. Was attempting to snap a big piece of plexiglas into a smaller rectangle. First snap created a curve like a tidal wave. Second snap created a smaller tidal wave. I dremeled the rest but it looks ugly. Then I went to the short side. Hey, I'm a pro now in scoring plexi with the last 2 failures, gave the blood sacrifice, and this is a short side. *snap* *mini-wave*. Dremel made it worse after that.

The flaws can still be hidden but the next step it to carve out a hole in the middle to match the motherboard tray. 😰.

I'll have to try out that Dremel router/ plunger tool that just arrived today.

I'm just a PC mod wannabe... 🤣

EDIT: Went and watched a bunch of YouTube videos. There were so many ways to do it right but I got lazy, took the easy way out, and paid for it. Will try again.

Highlighted
GTS81
4 Tellurium

@Dell630i :

Good read here: https://www.ekwb.com/blog/radiators-part-2-performance/

If I understand that article correctly, a thick radiator is still going to need higher fan speeds to shine compared to thin radiator. At 900 RPM, I'm not sure if that's gonna maximize the potential of any thick radiator.

Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@GTS81    At 900 RPM, I'm not sure if that's gonna maximize the potential of any thick radiator.

Understood. I have already 'dreamed  down' from 80mm to 60mm to 45mm, which I don't consider a thick radiator; perhaps mid-range. Regardless, I will have between 9 and 18 fans, and they need to be quiet.

I had the 3 Noctua FLX fans @ 1200 rpm fixed on the first loop and those were quiet. Even more quiet is the 6 Alphacool push/pull fans on the radiator tower, which I have never heard, at all. Then when I did the second loop I switched to 3 Aerocool 'DeadSilent' fans @ 1500 rpm; and they were LOUD. So I put the 7v reducers on to slow them to 900 rpm, and while it is better, they are still louder than the Noctua fans at 1200 rpm. I don't want to sit here looking at my beautiful dream build listening to fan roar. 'Whisper Quiet' is my goal.

On a side note: that stupid Obsidian fan tray is still not available 😂

Highlighted
r72019
3 Cadmium

@GTS81   I was attempting to snap a big piece of plexiglas into a smaller rectangle. 

When I needed to cut plexi I've always used a circular saw with a guide; it looks really good this way for straight cuts.  

Highlighted
GTS81
4 Tellurium

@Dell630i :

Understood. I have already 'dreamed  down' from 80mm to 60mm to 45mm, which I don't consider a thick radiator; perhaps mid-range. Regardless, I will have between 9 and 18 fans, and they need to be quiet.

At this point, I'm thinking that I may have to settle for 2 slim (28mm) 360mm radiators. This way, I can have push-pull for the front radiator. I only have 60mm for both a radiator and fans (if any) up in front, so if I go to something like 40mm radiator, there's no option for a fan, unless I try my hand at rivet removal because the PSU shroud is partly riveted to the main chassis.

I had the 3 Noctua FLX fans @ 1200 rpm fixed on the first loop and those were quiet. Even more quiet is the 6 Alphacool push/pull fans on the radiator tower, which I have never heard, at all. Then when I did the second loop I switched to 3 Aerocool 'DeadSilent' fans @ 1500 rpm; and they were LOUD. So I put the 7v reducers on to slow them to 900 rpm, and while it is better, they are still louder than the Noctua fans at 1200 rpm. I don't want to sit here looking at my beautiful dream build listening to fan roar. 'Whisper Quiet' is my goal.

On a side note: that stupid Obsidian fan tray is still not available 😂

I totally agree that Noctuas can spin fast and still be quiet. I haven't tested those be Quiet! fans that came with the Orange yet.

Still looking at the 1000D? Isn't your Cosmos C700M suppose to have reached your office by now?

@r72019 :

When I needed to cut plexi I've always used a circular saw with a guide; it looks really good this way for straight cuts.  

I walked into HD to get a refund on the plexiglas cutter and ended up walking out with a variable speed jigsaw. Kept that in the trunk as a backup while I learnt how to use the Dremel router/plunger kit. It did very well in straightening out the badly cut edge. Only drawback is that some parts rebonded due to the heat and had to be worked over with a file. Watching online videos thought me one thing: a jig is needed. Anything to just guide the tool in straight lines over and over again. I never inherited my dad's tool handling genes. He never needed any jigs and mostly used hand tools with great precision.

Of course, circular saw with a guide is the dream. Well, after a CNC machine/ laser cutter. 😜

r72019
3 Cadmium

@GTS81 wrote:

Watching online videos thought me one thing: a jig is needed.

An inexpensive way to do it is to just clamp down anything laying around with a straight edge, like a scrap wood board, over the material to be cut and run the jig saw along the straight edge.  You can mark with a ruler how much of a setback you need from the blade before you clamp it. It won't cut as clean as a big blade but still pretty good. 

Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@GTS81   Still looking at the 1000D? Isn't your Cosmos C700M suppose to have reached your office by now?

Not considering the 1000D, just interested in how long it takes for Corsair to make a $5 accessory available, for a $500 case. They seem to have adopted the Dell customer service business model. Cosmos landed yesterday, in a very large box 😱

Highlighted
r72019
3 Cadmium

@Dell630i wrote:

just interested in how long it takes for Corsair to make a $5 accessory available, for a $500 case. 

I think I recall reading somewhere that stock for these type of parts usually comes in towards the very end of every month and, with the radiator tray, sells out pretty fast.  But you don't have to worry about that anymore.😎

Highlighted
GTS81
4 Tellurium

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=MqbpamQbI4c&fbclid=IwAR02IvRd5WpvST1R079gA2uiXf666_tc...

Watch as Maki role (Alex modder supreme) pulls out the tray on the 1000D. Is that the tray you are looking for?

EKWB goes big on flat-pump reservoirs, all-in-ones, distro plates and workstation cooling. You have to see the massive Corsair 1000D distro!