Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

6 Posts

August 16th, 2019 10:00

Aurora R8, won't turn on after attempt to fix RGB power light

Please let me know what your thoughts are here:

Brand New Aurora R8 desktop, when I got it the RGB lights on the Power Button would not work, the light was solid white color 100% of the time and never would change.  Called support they went through a lot of troubleshooting steps (re-installing the Console and other things), nothing worked.  They sent someone to my house to install a new front cover to the desktop.  That did not work, same thing was happening.

I called them yesterday to tell them the fix did not work, they had an engineer remote into my computer to fix some firmware and BIOS upgrade...restarted the computer to see if it was fixed, and then the computer shut off completely, and now it will not turn on.  Nothing.  Pushing power button does nothing.  Its dead.   Holding in the red button on the PSU does make the green light come on the PSU, so it is getting power.  After a long time on the phone they are sending someone out Monday to replace the Motherboard.

Does this sound right to you?  Could the motherboard be fried after the engineer updated firmware and BIOS?  I doubt it solves the initial issue of the RGB lights not working on the power button. Any ideas?

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

August 16th, 2019 11:00

There should be 3 RGB mini boards, one for the power button and 2 for the side panels. Were the side panels RGB working?
To answer your question about the bird frying from BIOS update, it is unlikely. But bricking it, yep.

August 16th, 2019 11:00

The 2 side panels RGB worked just fine, the Power Button RGB light just stayed white all of the time. Currently the computer won't do anything when the power button is pushed, completely dead.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 16th, 2019 12:00

Even if you don't end up returning, Dell returns might offer you a partial return credit for your trouble if you keep the machine. 

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

I've lost touch with ATX jumpers and how to power on using a paper clip. Not sure if that could work. At this point, it's probably best to wait for the replacement board. I feel bad for you as these are 3 days you could have enjoyed the R8 given that it's the weekend.

Was the engineer who tweaked the BIOS on the phone with you when the system failed to start? What was his/ her response? I hope you at least let the person know how this is so NOT cool.

I was on the phone with a Tech Support Person, and she was the "middle man" between the Engineer and myself, I never actually talked to the engineer that was re-doing some of the programming.  It really is too bad, because I haven't bought a dell in about 15 years, and thought I would give it a go, and haven't had a great experience at all.

Do you think the new motherboard will solve the issue with it not turning on?  Do you think it will do anything with the power button RGB, or is that a separate issue?  I asked for a replacement computer entirely, but they wanted to go through this whole process before an exchange can be done.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

True. I was offered 10% when I called up the order support center to schedule a return. This was for an Optiplex 7760 AIO.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

They only gave me 5%, I must have been too nice. Anyway, here is the link if you wanted to negotiate this via email with Dell: https://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/us/en/04/order-support

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

Have you considered returning the computer due to the defect and just purchasing a new one. You now have a refurbished front panel, and refurbished motherboard, and power button that doesn't function properly. That is a refurbished AND defective machine (not a new one, like you just paid for).

New Mobo is unlikely to have any effect on the power button RGB displaying no color. 

Not a bad thought. I hate to go through that process, but might just end up doing it. Really frustrating.

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

Do you think the new motherboard will solve the issue with it not turning on?  Do you think it will do anything with the power button RGB, or is that a separate issue?  I asked for a replacement computer entirely, but they wanted to go through this whole process before an exchange can be done.

A new motherboard will most likely solve the issue with it not turning on. To be safe, tell them to bring an extra IO card as well. That's the card that controls the USB ports in the front panel.

As for the power button RGB, there's knowledge only known to Dell. When I power on my R8, it cycles through a range of colors in a slow pulsing pattern until it reaches the set color in about 10 seconds. Given that the cycle can happen before Windows appear, I'm not sure about the hardware-firmware-software interaction between the motherboard and the LEDs on the button.

This is the 3rd attempt at me replying because I had to keep up with inputs from @r72019 and you so here goes... yes, at this point a total replacement should be considered. Unfortunately, just head over to the outlet page and see how many R7 and R8 refurbs there are. I think the amount of RMAs for new systems are probably above the business unit estimate now. Either way you decide to go, good luck!

February 25th, 2021 09:00

I had the same issue, so I thought of unplugging the whole RGB clip from the motherboard. It turns out the power switch is powered by the same RGB clip or socket(not sure what to call it exactly) on the motherboard, and that's probably why you weren't able to turn on your computer despite having power going into your motherboard. In the end, I just gave up fixing it . Yes, I tried all software tweaks like rolling back BIOS, etc., etc. I think it's a hardware issue.

No Events found!