Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2020 10:00

Aurora R9, AWCC update killed AlienFX

I bought a very nice, top of the line Aurora R9 a couple of months ago and all had been perfect. Then on 30 May 2020, AWCC Application did an automatic update and no more AlienFX. It says there are no AlienFX devices connected.

I uninstalled following Dells instructions to a tee, reinstalled, same problem. Tried installing the version of AWCC that worked, it auto updated immediately and same problem. 

The only thing that changed on the computer was the auto update of AWCC so I suppose I just have to wait for the next update for this to be fixed. 

Funny, the Fusion part of AWCC works fine; I would have thought the overclocking program to be much more complicated than changing the color of lights. I just miss having no control over the color of the lighting on the R9, my Alienware monitor and Alienware mouse.  Actually, the mouse and monitor stayed the color I had chosen, only the R9 is the default blue.

I know this issue has occurred in the past, but I haven't read about problems with the 30 May 2020 update.

396 Posts

June 12th, 2020 17:00

Latest update of issue:

After no joy with AWCC 5.2.89.0 (newest version), I uninstalled and put a older version in its place 5.2.75.0 -- no AlienFX, but everything else was fine.

Ran Alienware Update and a update to AWCC was listed. Just for the heck of it; hey, you never know, I tried it thinking it would download the newest version. It didn't.

It downloaded the original one that was on my computer, 5.2.81.0 and then tried to auto update to 5.2.89.0 which I was able to cancel. Don't ask me how, but AlienFX is back, all my lights are red like I used to have them and I will never go near AWCC again, I learned my lesson.

Why it didn't work when I uninstalled the latest version and reinstalled 5.2.81.0 myself I have no idea.

Apparently, running Alienware Update was required for the magic to happen.

Thanks to all that commented, I hope this helps one of the other people with this problem.

Hopefully, the next update will have all this straightened out, but in my case, I think I may just leave things as they are.

396 Posts

June 12th, 2020 03:00

" I haven't read about problems with the 30 May 2020 update."

I stand corrected, after further research I noticed there are people with similar problems and a recent BIOS update may also be playing a part in this situation.

372 Posts

June 12th, 2020 07:00

Do contact Dell and let them know.  You have at least a 1-year in-home warranty.  If they need to send someone out they will.  The left panel on my Area-51 went dead and they ended up replacing the electronics and both side panels.

Love Dell/AW service!

FYI, every company will have issues.. ALL of them.  Let Dell work with you and this will be fixed.

2 Intern

• 

676 Posts

June 12th, 2020 11:00

Yeah I got that update like tuesday or wednesday and after the update I noticed I got that message with the FX message concerning my aw510K and headphones, actually the FX option was gone. But in a panic state getting ready to happen, I restarted my R9 and booted up AWCC and walked out the rooms for a deep breath. When came back in I didn't see again !!! so I restarted AWCC and bam !!! good to go... wheeew ! them updates !!!

I hope this helps.

396 Posts

June 12th, 2020 12:00

In Dell's defense, they contacted me after I made this post.  They suggested everything I had already tried, and then suggested a complete Windows 10 reinstall.  Nah, no thanks...this computer worked perfectly for over two months, and then the update killed FX...choosing which pretty colors are shown is nice, but not worth a operating system reinstall.  We left it that eventually they will find the bug and hopefully a future upgrade of the Command Center will have FX functioning again.

Prior to the update glitch, I have been ecstatically happy with my Aurora R9 with Dual RTX 2080 Supers in SLI.

Playing Doom, Doom Eternal and Killing Floor 2 until I need to give my eyes a rest is why I spent the large bills on Alienware equipment.  I bought a AW3420DW monitor and 610M mouse along with the R9, so it was nice when they were all lit up in the same color, but no where near as important as the computer performing correctly with no absolutely no problems out of the box.  The packaging of the monitor was truly an example of outstanding industrial design work, I could not be happier with the quality of the AW3420DW monitor.

I use a keyboard from another manufacturer that has it's own light show software, and since that's really the only lights I see when using the computer, I'm more concerned with saving up for a new Alienware laptop than what color the desktop lights up with...(actually, the blue is rather soothing).

396 Posts

August 4th, 2020 10:00

Update--5.2.91.0 updated automatically in Command Center and FX is gone again...says my three Alienware devices do not exist.  Now it only finds two games out of nine, overclocking section OK.  Seems bizarre that it sees the cpu, gpu's and RAM, but responds that no Alienware equipment is connected?

Spent a day uninstalling, doing everything you are suppose to do short of rewriting the AWCC program myself...decided this was too much of a waste of my time...maybe 5.2.92.0 will be my lucky version, like the original one that came with my computer, that worked just fine.

The good news is hardware wise all is excellent; I've owned my Aurora R9 for a little over three months and the computer, monitor and mouse have had no problems with regards to hardware and performed flawlessly.  I have played Doom and Doom Eternal as long as I can handle my motion sickness with no complaints of overheating, freezes, shutdowns or blue screens, which is the way things are supposed to be.  Very pleased with the water cooling system, I wish there was room inside the case to water cool my twin 2080 supers.

I would not object to some higher fan speeds in the interest of lower temps, but she functions fine as is, so I'm happy!

87 Posts

August 4th, 2020 11:00

I've had to reinstall from both the factory image two or three times and also two complete Windows 10 re-installations from scratch because of the exact same problems you mention on my Area 51 R5. There's a long thread of mine chronicling it.

I set a firewall exception to stop AWCC connecting to the internet a couple of weeks ago after my second W10 reinstallation but bizarrely it looks like Windows has reset the exception as I've just launched AWCC and it's started downloading the update. I instantly panicked, managed to stop it and set the firewall exception back up again. I've totally lost confidence in AWCC updating without killing itself on this machine.

In fairness to AW/Dell they have tried to help, sending someone out with a new motherboard, but it didn't fix the problem. The software is utter, utter rubbish and needs scrapping and starting again. IMHO they ought to break it up into 4 smaller, lighter and therefore simpler programs.

396 Posts

August 4th, 2020 11:00

Indeed, it's a shame because it worked out of the box just fine.  Only after the first "update" did things go bad.

Well, I'd rather have one useless program than any problems with the operation of my computer. 

Although, I did like everything lit up red when playing Doom.

163 Posts

August 4th, 2020 14:00

The AWCC Application needs an option to TURN OFF automatic updates!

396 Posts

August 6th, 2020 04:00

Wow, the lights are red again...I have never seen a program that has such a personality of its own; and I was taught FORTRAN and COBOL back in 1976 as a EE major, so I've been dealing with computers for a long time.

So the status now is: AWCC FX doesn't recognize that I have FX mouse and monitor, but at least it sees the computer.  Fusion works fine, but library only recognizes 3 out of 9 games automatically, it used to find them all.

Perhaps I play DOOM too much, and one of the demons got loose in the computer...yea, maybe that's it?

No Events found!