Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

40 Posts

November 30th, 2019 16:00

Aurora R9, Fans speed up and go loud

Hi guys,

After years & years....& years, I finally got my 1st AW!

I'd delighted to finally own 1 but then when I start 'doing' stuff, my fans speed up and get loud.

Now if I was really pushing the system, fair enough but all I'm running is WoW and FM20.

A system this good should surely be able to deal with those game, in a ultra silent way.

Any suggestions on limiting the speed of the fans?

I'm really new to all this even though I've been using a PC for gaming for like 25 years.

Thanks in advance guys.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 30th, 2019 19:00

@Wyer   Any suggestions on limiting the speed of the fans?

It is always helpful if you share the components in your R9 - like CPU, graphics card, PSU, RAM, liquid or air cooled, any modifications you have made, etc.

40 Posts

November 30th, 2019 20:00

Ok, I'll look at that in greater detail tomorrow all tho its not water cooled I  know that much.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 30th, 2019 20:00

@Wyer   This is the system I bought

Posting the components here for reference: Aurora R9, Intel® Core™ i7-9700, 6GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti Graphics, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD & 256GB SSD, Gaming PC

Looks like you got a pretty good deal, but as you have already noticed, the claim "Gaming PC" is somewhat of a stretch (OK, it is a lie).

It is hard to tell which fan(s) may be screaming the loudest; CPU fan, top exhaust fan, or graphics card fan . . . or all three. Personally, I have not yet seen the inside of an Aurora R9 that did not have a liquid cooled CPU. Your CPU has the locked clock multiplier, and is only cooking at 65 watts, so that may be why air-cooled was an option.

Perhaps when you open the case tomorrow you could take some photos of the inside and post them here, so we can see what that CPU cooler looks like. In the mean time (without seeing the photos), things you might consider to quiet your rig down would be;

upgrade the CPU cooler (possibly to liquid)

replace the Dell OEM industrial grade server fans with better quality, more quiet fans

perhaps add a top front case fan

remove any unused HDD cages to improve air flow

Your graphics card is short, which will help with air flow in the case. Hopefully, it is a blower style, so it is not exhausting 120 watts of heat into your already hot case.

40 Posts

December 1st, 2019 04:00

That's the fan that is causing me the noise.

40 Posts

December 1st, 2019 04:00

img_1946.jpgimg_1947.jpgimg_1948.jpg

2.5K Posts

December 1st, 2019 05:00

should , why say that? (but I can't really hear it so... ) Is the room temp 70F or why high, (southern hemisphere):? not near 10,000 altitude right? thin air needs to move faster (noise) up high.

AWCC profiles , do this first?

did the dell spec say that silent word ? , no, did the spec show, the noise spec, sure, it did, all dells do. RTM? yet? but the pages dell has on all my DELLS called Acoustics seems missing on the R9 (toy grade product?)

all fan operated dells show the DB noise spec, at all loads. (CTO matrix and noise in DB) not found by me.

a PC , any PC that can do AAA games, can burn power at 200watts or more inside the case, this is the law of physics (and entropy) it wastes heat , (power) that heat gaming must be expelled, or the chips overheat and die or die faster, than normal. heat is the #1 cause of electronics failure and lower life spans (flooding excluded and dropped)

rule #2 (intels) internal case temps must  be keeped at 35C temp or less. if not the fans will go ballast speeds.

if you get water cooling the heat move to outside of case, to  external cooler, some with fans others none(best case is move heat outside case, no pun)

but i can't hear yours, so....  all I can do is what is normal. ok?

I have PC here that runs 100w +300 watts, just inside case (cpu and dual GPU) 400 watts of deadly heat inside.

I run 3 fans in that case, with Hugh sized 120mm and slow turning type for low noise. and custom controller, (thermal) 

some dell do have bum bios (bios does control the fans) and is buggy.  first upgrade that.

If you;d have built your own PC, that is all 100% programmable,  the fan curves are. (asus.com) win/win

2.5K Posts

December 1st, 2019 06:00

post what is inside, use photos. actually take them and click photo Icon and upload it, via camera icon above.

please.

photos are like magic, no? (1000 words per photo in my life experience, oh gee that fan cable fell off ?) or shipping damages (omg common) the hEat sink LOOSE ,  c

and when the fans go fast,  look and all fans not just one see if only one fan speeds up or all do. ?

if one thing is too noisy tell the thing it is?

POST YOUR CTO, configuration to order, papers.

CPU, CASE,GPU, PSU. fans.

at least  4 fans are in most PCs that burn lots of power, that 1660ti,needs to be kept cool OK?

any fan that can suck cold room air (is it cool?)  to the case will help, from any angle or side is OK.

but as you'd expect if air cool flow, lands first on  that hot, GPU card all the better.

the DELL does not control the GPU card fan, only vbios in the card does. and some cards have software that allows you to change that. (rare) it is a 120watt card, (3d full gaming speeds and loads) wasted 120watts heat.

ever get your hand near a 100watt light bulb and feel all that heat, in such a small space,  same thing here.GPU

your job (or dells) is to get the heat out of the case. ( ive done vast PCs that run too hot in 30 + years)

a liquid cooled case, does this and moves the heat to a big water radiator, and must  then be cooled quietly.

now get this,  if you do water cooled ,  the fans can run slower due to the convective air flows on a huge radiator.

so the fans can stay off until the RAD hits say 50C. see? (and then makes noise)

lots of folks do complain on Alien-ware noise, it's not rare by any means.(folks posting that)

the reasons are clear.

• It's normal for your room temp , altitude  and running THAT GAME ,AAA, 3D FULL TILT.
  • the PC has fan issues, (fans packed in lint or heat sinks super common, sure not day one new sure.
  • The FIRMWARE IS no good (buggy) ask dell not me.
  • The setting for AWCC are wrong. (only run the newest one)
  • air flows blocked, by any means, even blocking vents, against a rug (bottom ) walls of some kind (side vents ) or a top vented case with say desk lamp base blocking that. or inside case baffles missing or fell lose.(never seen and R9 empty case me, so ... IDK where the vents are or  how big, I buy my own cases.
  • never listen to marketing hype,  "ignore them", read the spec, oops it's MISSING dang! no DB noise spec at all on this toy PC. (games = toys so no spec,? IDK) but all my DELLS spec, noise, in  Acoustics spec. a matrix showing Noise and all Dells configurations (called CTO, configured top order)  NONE here sadly!~

google hits for noise, alienware is 1.6million  deep.  (read it not, or go mad) lets fix  yours. first.

do not lay blame yet, learn to find what fan is too load first post that and the answers go vastly shorter.

OK>?  (find noise  source)

if you want no fans use this.

look ma',  we DIY our  own PC easy with these. 100% dead silent, unless knocked over. LOL

2nd best, (200 to 400watts of heat gaming)

is external cooling tower with huge radiator inside and one huge slow fan (or push/pull)

all else makes more noise,  ok? and air cooled worse,  for sure small fans, use largest fans you can find

and run a fan controller, with thermal probe.

or DIY, do it yourself or pay a shop to build one, and save a bundle.? TOP PSU sold have dead fan until over 200watts, or pure heat tripped, buy one, be happy and not complain.

no-fan1

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 1st, 2019 09:00

@Wyer   That's the fan that is causing me the noise.

Yes, that is the typical suspect for a screaming fan syndrome.

Your photos are zoomed-in on the CPU cooler, so it is hard to see what else is going on inside the box. Some things to consider for improving air flow and temperatures:

• replace that heat sink and fan with a better quality version heat sink and fan
  • replace that heat sink and fan with AIO liquid CPU cooler (recommended)
  • check your top exhaust fan; if it is 92mm, replace with 120mm fan
  • I am assuming you have a lower front intake fan; if not, add a 120mm fan
  • move your HDD to the lower rear position in the case and remove the unused HDD cages
  • add a top front 120mm intake fan

I am sending out the Bat Signal for @Bmwpower603 who has done some cooling modifications on his R9 and may be able to chime in with additional suggestions.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

@Wyer @That's the fan that is causing me the noise

My thoughts on what to do with that fan

What to do with loud fansWhat to do with loud fans

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

@Wyer "This is the system I bought  https://www.littlewoods.com/alienware-aurora-r9-intelreg-coretrade-i7-9700-6gb-nvidia-geforce-gtx-16..."

Off topic, but couldn't help but comment on their holiday payment offer..OMG this is highway robbery, what kind of store is this? I'd boycott them out of principle just for taking advantage of people for Christmas over spending...

"Interest is calculated and compounded daily at a typical rate of 44.9% per annum for the delayed payment period and repayment period and is charged to your account at date of order as a lump sum."

40 Posts

December 1st, 2019 13:00

I really regret buying this now, the fan goes into overdrive if I run anything remotely along the lines of a game.

The heat that then starts coming out of the system via the top, its awful.

1st impressions of my 1st AW system....never again.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 1st, 2019 14:00

@Wyer   I really regret buying this now

Understood that you are disappointed, although I'm not sure what kind of "gaming rig" you were expecting for $1600. Regardless . . . now that you have it, you have come to the right place to get information and advice you will need to get the best performance out of your computer. Fortunately, the Aurora R9 is easy to work on, and the modifications you will need to make are fairly simple.

Starting with the top exhaust fan . . . 92mm or 120mm?

Do you have a lower front intake fan? Do you know the wattage of your PSU?

EDIT: OK, I see that your PSU is 460 watt version.

Perhaps post a few more photos.

40 Posts

December 2nd, 2019 09:00

I'm going to ask a really stupid question, 1 I already know the answer too but...

The PSU, the fan inside, this should be creating cool air as soon as its turn on, right?

40 Posts

December 2nd, 2019 09:00

img_1949.jpg

img_1950.jpgimg_1951.jpgimg_1952.jpgimg_1953.jpg

No Events found!