Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2018 06:00

Changing Optane to a Samsung M2 960 EVO on Aurora R7

Yesterday I changed the Optane Memory in port M2 and put it the 960 EVO instead,...I follow a recommendation to install WIndows 10, I did, but now each time I turn on the PC show me the following msg Checking Media presence, it take more than 2 minutes to boot...What can I do?? Is this a problem? How can I fix that?? I'm thinking to return the Aurora R7 ...please help...and Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 11:00

@RabioNET wrote:

in port M2 and put it the 960 EVO instead,...

As it says in several threads ...

Set BIOS to UEFI, AHCI, and maybe leave SecureBoot off (for now, during initial install).

Clean install Windows-10/64bit to completely blank M.2 SSD (raw, no partitions).

If having problems, you might want to try disconnecting all other drives (the other spinning HDD and SATA-SSD) for now.

March 2nd, 2018 09:00

Having a similar issue. My EVO drive isn’t fully showing up. Shows up in BIOS but not disk management to where I can attempt to clone it.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2018 10:00

The boot priority only showed ipv4, ipv6 and Windows Boot, the BIOS recognize both drives but in the BOOT section only shows that codes not the names of the drives...let me know, Thanks in advance!!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Alienware-Eimy wrote:

Hi @RabioNET,

That drive usually gives problems and it is not officially supported. 

What about the OEM version of this drive ... the Samsung PM961 (M.2/PCIe/NVMe) ... it is supported?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi @RabioNET,

That drive usually gives problems and it is not officially supported. Then, when that error comes appears, generally the boot priority must be rearranged.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@RabioNET wrote:

I'm thinking to return the Aurora R7 ...please help...and Thanks

You are welcome to return it, but that seems a little premature at this point.

Unless you blew-up something installing the M.2 Samsung 960 EVO ... your machine and SSD are likely fine. Did you have the machine shut-down/turned-off and UN-PLUGGED from AC-Power during install?

Many Alienware Aurora R6/R7 owners are running similar retail M.2 drives, and also the OEM versions (PM961 or SM961). In fact, my Aurora-R6 shipped with PM961. Obviously, it works excellent.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@TommyH2323 wrote:
I followed the procedures from the other posts and no luck. Will try again. Thanks.

Hmm, OK. Let us know how it goes.

I thought you were just trying to clone it. I'm not saying you can't, its just that we can't possibly support all the different cloning software from this forum. :Smile:

Basically, if you can get a clone to work (like with maybe Macrium Reflect) then fine. But if not, it might be time to try a Nuke-and-Pave (clean-install to blank/raw drive).

I followed the procedures from the other posts and no luck. Will try again. Thanks.

Do you have procedures on how to get it to work?

I have tried a clean install and cloning. Basically I cannot get the drive to be recognized to do either.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 12:00

@TommyH2323 wrote:
I have tried a clean install and cloning. Basically I cannot get the drive to be recognized to do either.

Does it appear in BIOS, and also as the correct size?

March 25th, 2018 10:00

I have same problem, I just removed my intel optane that came stock with r7-8700 and I installed my samsung 960 evo, pm961, it shows in bios but not recognized in Windows, I updated the drivers for intel rapid Raid, as well as installed samsung magician.  It shows the samsung 500gb but not recognized for cloning.  PLease Help.  Thank you !

March 25th, 2018 10:00

Samsung M2 NVME PM 961 that I am trying to replace the optane slot with.  Please help on how to get this set up on Alienware R7

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 25th, 2018 12:00

@Realty CEOwrote:

I just removed my intel optane that came stock with r7-8700 and I installed my samsung 960 evo, pm961, it shows in bios but not recognized in Windows, I updated the drivers for intel rapid Raid, as well as installed samsung magician.  It shows the samsung 500gb but not recognized for cloning.  PLease Help.  Thank you !

It would be a miracle if that cloning worked. :Surprise:

pm961 is OEM, so Samsung Magician does not support it.

With just PCIe/NVMe (no Optane or RAID) you do not really want Intel-RST installed. AFAIK, it can't be uninstalled. I surely would not purposely install it.

- Backup data files

- Set BIOS to UEFI and AHCI.

- Connect ONLY the pm961. Check that it appears in BIOS and reports proper size.

- Clean install Windows to blank/raw pm961.

- After you are done with drivers and what-not ... you can re-Enable SecureBoot (if you had to disable it earlier).

- Connect other physical drives now and get those working.

- Restore data-files from flash-drive

March 25th, 2018 13:00

That was the key to disconnect the 1tb HD.  Its installing clean on samsung pm961 EVO 960!!!  Solved by TESLA 

No Events found!