Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

May 11th, 2018 18:00

Inspiron 5675, error message: "Running out of disk space on E drive"

I am getting every 10 minutes a pop-up window with the message "Low Disk Space: You are running out of disk space on Local Disk (E:).". See attached the error message and a screen short of my drives-I don't even what is on my E drive--when I open empty, it shows that it's empty. This happened after doing a Windows update .

Thanks for any clues!

image (1).pngimage (2).png

3 Posts

May 11th, 2018 19:00

Any solution? What the heck is the E drive?

Windows drive manager just shows it labeled as "OEM Partition" with no indication of its purpose.  You also can't actually browse whatever data is stored on it.  You could reformat it but I don't think I'd recommend that.

I get this same thing on a new Alienware 17 R5.  Very annoying.

May 12th, 2018 12:00

It's a system drive (probably used in system recovery) so you *definitely* don't want to do anything with or to it.

When this happened under Vista (and maybe 7) you could go into the System Recovery settings and turn off recovery for that disk. Under 10 you have to use a Registry hack. *PROCEED WITH CAUTION!*

Use "Method 2" from the website below (please DO NOT use the "recommended" method 1 - firstly this involves installing 3rd party software which you may or may not have to pay for but more importantly it's a waste of disk space. The "full" drive will never be used for saving any more data or programs so there is no point in making it any bigger - rather just stop monitoring it for free space.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/you-are-running-out-of-disk-space-on-recovery-d.html

Reproduced here in case that site ever closes or moves, or Dell blocks the URL:

1. Click START–>RUN and type REGEDIT. Click OK.
2. Click the plus sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
then SOFTWARE
then Microsoft
then Windows
then CurrentVersion
then Policies
then Explorer if it exists. If it doesn't, right-click Policies and select New->Key and Name it Explorer
HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
3. Double-click on NoLowDiskSpaceChecks if it exists. If it doesn't, right-click on ADVANCED and Select NEW–>DWORD VALUE and name it NoLowDiskSpaceChecks
4. Set this value to 1 to disable the low disk space warning message.
5. Close the Windows registry to save your changes
6. Reboot

Bingo

Obviously this means you won't get a warning on the C: drive either, but... by the time you get a warning you should have noticed it yourself, right? Right?

May 12th, 2018 13:00

What ChrisBedford said will hide the problem but does not solve it.  You will also no longer receive notifications you may care about.

All you need to do is remove the drive letter from that partition.  Open a command prompt window as admin and do the following:

diskpart
list volume
select volume
remove letter=
exit

I did that on my Alienware 17 R5 and it worked fine. 

1 Message

May 18th, 2018 03:00

I had the exact same error and just followed your instructions. Worked well and now I have my notifications back on.

Thank you

1 Message

May 19th, 2018 07:00

I was having the same message popping up every few minutes on my Asus laptop running win 10.  Got online with MS support and the tech quickly fixed it with the command MOUNTVOL E: /d

Problem solved for me.

1 Message

May 20th, 2018 09:00

Diskpart is the way to go. Tried doing it through the "Create and Format HD partitions" UI first but it wouldn't let me remove the drive letter. No issues with diskpart 

1 Message

May 21st, 2018 10:00

I get the same message.  It makes no sense because my E drive is the CD/DVD drive and I don't even have a disk in it right now.  The popup message that I get tells me to click on it to see how I can free up space on the drive, but when I click on it, nothing happens.  I'm a little suspicious that it's some kind of malware that I shouldn't have clicked on.

1 Message

May 30th, 2018 13:00

I don't think it's malware. I read that it is the "recover disk space" used for Windows 10 updates. If you click "this PC" in file explorer it shows the C: drive and E: drive. I think Microsoft will fix it in there next update.

1 Message

June 15th, 2018 03:00

Good many others have this problem, and recently.  I am running windows 10 (Home).  MS Help is a virutal assistant.  

They do not recognize when I asked, "Running out of disk space on E drive"  which has about 45 MB free space.  They gave me an article, 

Sync Error: Running out of space on OneDrive (0xE0000796) - OneNote for Mac

Geek Squad said the couldn't fix it.  Microsoft or Dell (DESKTOP-NEKTB54)should  be aware of this.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 15th, 2018 04:00

The issue is that the recovery partition was made visible and assigned a drive.

You should complain to Microsoft not Dell

https://aka.ms/AA1616c

Windows self destruct forced update 1803 caused this.

After 1803, windows starts nagging about drive running out of space.

Since the recovery partition includes crucial files required to restore your Windows operating system, you should re hide the partition from File Explorer to avoid accidentally deleting files or formatting the partition.

You can hide a drive using Administrative Command Prompt.
 It other words, you remove the nagging drive letter from Command Prompt .

Open Start.
    Search for Command Prompt.
    Right-click the result and select Run as administrator.

Type the following command to start DiskPart and press Enter:

diskpart

Type the following command to list all the volumes and press Enter:

list volume

Type the following command to select the volume in question (for example, E) and press Enter:

select volume E

Important: Proceed with caution, and replace "E" with the letter that appears in the newly created partition.

Type the following command to remove the letter and hide the partition in question and press Enter:

remove letter=E
    Use the exit command to close DiskPart.

After completing these steps, the drive will disappear from File Explorer, but it'll continue to be present on your computer. Microsoft is aware of the issue, and the company may release a cumulative update to automatically address this problem.

To permanently get rid of the annoying message "Out of Space". Set the value as shown below in the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001

4 Posts

July 31st, 2018 04:00

Hi, I had that problem and tried the fix, but got stuck part way through. please be aware I am in my sixties and not computer-savvy. I got as far as 'list volume' but couldn't work out how to select the drive giving me the message. Clicking on it did nothing.
Anyone? Please?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 31st, 2018 05:00

One of the Endless windows updates Assigned a Drive Letter to the Recovery Drive.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/1803-feature-update-creates-a-spurious-drive/a20a552a-6587-41e8-87d3-6cd6c7b1e053

The error is Microsoft's for assigning a drive letter to the 500 meg Recovery partition.

Run Disk Management and Remove the drive letter.  After that, the low Disk Space errors will stop.

Remove Drive Letter for Windows Partition

This method allows you to remove / delete drive letter that was assigned to your partition. The partition will be invisible to all your Windows accounts and will continue to exist with its content intact.

First, you need to open the Disk management tool. In Windows 10/8, just press Windows key + X and select Disk Management. If you’re using Windows 7, right-click My Computer icon on your desktop and select Manage, you can then find Disk Management in the left pane.

1. Right-click the partition you want to remove drive letter, then select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
  2. In the resulting dialog box, click Remove.
  3. You are asked to confirm the removal of the drive letter. Click Yes.

REMOVE DRIVE LETTERREMOVE DRIVE LETTER

In the resulting dialog box, click Remove.

REMOVEREMOVE

You are asked to confirm the removal of the drive letter. Click Yes.

YES REMOVE DRIVE LETTERYES REMOVE DRIVE LETTER

4 Posts

July 31st, 2018 06:00

When I right-click the partition where I want to remove the drive letter, I'm not getting the menu - only 'help', which is no help at all. What is wrong?

This is very frustrating.

No Events found!