Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

April 11th, 2018 19:00

Ethernet Connection for Avid C24

I have a new Alienware Area 51 R5 with the Killer Ethernet card.  I also run a recording studio and my console, An Avid C24 Communicates with my Alien via Ethernet. In the past, I could either plug it in directly to an Ethernet port or into my Router and the Pro Tools software would find it and connect. It is a control surface that allows me to control my Pro Tools software. Since moving from a Mac Pro to my new Alien, I haven't been able to get it to connect. I have moved it back to the Mac and it works. I have tried it both directly with a crossover cable, with a normal cable and into various ports like in the router and into a Ethernet switch and even a USB to Ethernet adapter to no avail.  I've been searching the forums, contacted Support at Sweetwater sound, Avid, the manufacturer of Pro Tools and Killer. 

I  feel that it must be something to do with Windows 10 or the alien bios. One person suggested disabling Safe Boot and another said to run the program as the administrator. That didn't work but it looked like I can't simply run my pc with Safe Boot disabled with out having to re-install everything and I would like to avoid that.

If you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. I am a novas but I have 4 Alienware computers and just prefer them over the mac I was using.

thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Gary Kesling

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 12th, 2018 05:00

I have a small studio running Cakewalk Sonar and Studio One 3 Pro.  That is a great looking console, but I wonder about Windows integration since it works OK with a MAC.  The specs say MAC or Windows but Avid tends to be iffy with some Windows integration or drivers.  Have you checked an Avid or ProTools web site to see if there is someone that has done this? Or maybe even the www.gearslutz.com site or if you have a contact at Sweetwater maybe they can help. Sweetwater helped me with a ProTools problem back in the PT9 days (I tried ProTools but just didn't get into it) and also had info that no one else had published on how to set my Behringer X-Touch control surface to the Mackie mode.

EDIT/UPDATE:  I found this Dell article on specific Killer WLAN cards.  One is the 1535 that may or may not be in your system.  

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300762/alienware-laptops-with-killer-wireless-cannot-connect-to-the-internet-through-lan-or-wireless?lang=en

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 12th, 2018 09:00

If you have a WiFi card also, be sure it's disconnected from router's AccessPoint.

If you can "get to the Internet" or reprogram your router ... your wired ethernet connection is (at least) mostly working. It would help us the know the exact make/model of this "wired"  NIC.

For now, disable any software firewalls like Windows Firewall. If you are running a different one, you should tell us.

Try pinging the IP address of the Avid-24. If it's set to "auto-IP" (Dynamic IP) it should grab an available IP address from the router's DHCP-Pool (just like your Area51-R5 does).

Sometimes, it helps to use Static or Fixed IP addresses (at end-point devices). For example, all my network printers and most of my Home-Theater components have Fixed IPs.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 12th, 2018 13:00

While the use of direct cross-over cables and the like can help with network troubleshooting, I think you are over-complicating it and confusing yourself.

Try this:

Set the Avid-C24 and the Mac to obtain IP addresses automatically from the Router (via DHCP).

Connect both to the router with an ethernet wire. Reboot everything.
Does it work? Meaning ...
- Can the Mac reach the Internet with Safari browser?
- Can the Mac talk-to and work with the Avid-C24?

April 12th, 2018 13:00

Thanks for that advice. I have disabled my wireless connection. I have tried a usb to Ethernet adapter. I have tried plugging my console directly into my Alien with both the wireless off and the other Ethernet port unplugged to no avail. I even tried that route with a crossover cable.

April 12th, 2018 16:00

I tried replying before but i don't see it on here so here goes again.

I'm trying to run this on an Alienware Area 51 R5, not a mac.  I do have an old mac pro and the C24 will connect to it but I have upgraded my Pro Tools and the old Mac won't run the new software of the HDX cards. So I had Alienware build me a machine following the required specs for Pro Tools Ultimate on a Windows 10 based machine.

The C24 does not have any way to set it to obtain an ip address nor does it have one. It does have an ID but the way I understand it. when the C24 is hooked up to either the network via the modem or a Ethernet switch, or it can be hooked up directly to the Ethernet card on the PC, Pro Tools on startup, scans the network for it and is supposed to find it. It always did before, with the Mac Pro. then on setup, you choose it as a Peripheral  controller and off you go. It basically behaves like a large mouse. In the past. I simply went to setup, added it to my controller list and from then on, it connected everytime I started Pro Tools.

I can set my pc to obtain an IP address automatically but not the C24.

here are the basic instructions but my problem is, it says it can't find the C24

Connecting C|24 to the
Computer
C|24 communicates with Pro Tools using
Ethernet. This connecti
on uses a standard RJ45
connector.
If you are connecting C|
24 directly to your
computer, use a crossover
Ethernet cable (one is
included with C|24).
If you are connecting C|24 to an Ethernet hub or network, use a standard Ethernet cable (not
included).
If C|24 will be the only Ethernet device connected to your computer:
1 Connect one end of the included crossover Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the back
panel of C|24.
2 Connect the other end of the crossover Ether- net cable to the appropriate Ethernet port on the
computer.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 12th, 2018 19:00

Well, for this post I will say this ...

It you can connect the Area51-R5 to the router via a CAT5-CAT6 ethernet wire, and you can reach the Internet in a browser ... the wired Killer-Networking NIC in the Area51-R5 IS WORKING FINE.

Once you embrace that fact, you can move forward with troubleshooting. Understand?

So, with (only) the Area51-R5 connected to the router ... do you know how to login to your Router's config?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 12th, 2018 19:00

@gary_keslingwrote:

1. I tried replying before but i don't see it on here so here goes again.

2. I'm trying to run this on an Alienware Area 51 R5, not a mac. 

3. I do have an old mac pro and the C24 will connect to it but I have upgraded my Pro Tools and the old Mac won't run the new software of the HDX cards.

4. So I had Alienware build me a machine following the required specs for Pro Tools Ultimate on a Windows 10 based machine.

1. Be sure to always Sign-In FIRST.

2. Right

3. I only suggested that because you said it worked with the Mac. I have Macs too. OK, so forget the Mac ... unplug it and put it in the closet.

4. Yeah, I got that.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 12th, 2018 20:00

@fireberdwrote:

1. That is a great looking console, but I wonder about Windows integration since it works OK with a MAC.  The specs say MAC or Windows but Avid tends to be iffy with some Windows integration or drivers.

2. Have you checked an Avid or ProTools web site to see if there is someone that has done this?

1. Hopefully, he read your post and is also attacking the problem from this angle.

Once he gets it connected properly (and turns off Windows Firewall and stuff like that) ... yeah, maybe there is additional config required to get it working on Windows. My guess it that it should appear in "Devices and Printers" before it can be used.

2. Another good idea.

Forget it's an Alienware. Pretend its a regular computer (well, it is). Ask the guys in the Avid Windows Forum what the trick is. It's likely just a switch somewhere. 

AS far as it being a switch, somewhere, I agree. I just need to figure out which one.  It is my 2nd C/24 or should I say, I wore a Control 24 out and upgraded to the C/24.  Both are great units.

I"ve checked all the regular places and here is a kicker. I have a Creation Station as well, made by Sweetwater Sound to run Pro Tools. It is an old one. Windows ME, I think and it will connect to my console as well. It isn't very powerful and I use it mostly for live remote recording, bringing the results into my main studio for mixing and editing.  I found this at Avid's DUC site:

"I'm assuming that the C24 is the same as the Control 24 here and maybe I shouldn't. But the Control 24 has no IP address, nor does it need one. DHCP is not used in any way. Access to the unit is done at the MAC address layer (layer 2 - TCP/IP is layer 3)." 

Does that info help? Sweetwater asked me to call tomorrow and they want to try to help some more. I spent about $12,000 on this upgrade so they would like me to keep it. lol Wouldn't want me to send it back.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@gary_keslingwrote:

1. The C24 does not have any way to set it to obtain an ip address nor does it have one.

2. It does have an ID but the way I understand it. when the C24 is hooked up to either the network via the modem or a Ethernet switch, or it can be hooked up directly to the Ethernet card on the PC, Pro Tools on startup, scans the network for it and is supposed to find it.

3. It always did before, with the Mac Pro. then on setup, you choose it as a Peripheral  controller and off you go. It basically behaves like a large mouse. In the past. I simply went to setup, added it to my controller list and from then on, it connected everytime I started Pro Tools.

4. I can set my pc to obtain an IP address automatically but not the C24.

5. here are the basic instructions but my problem is, it says it can't find the C24

Not even sure where to start here. :Smile:

1. So you can read stuff like this ...

http://duc.avid.com/archive/index.php/t-270511.html

But the reality is ... for any device to work on a router, it has to be assigned an IP address. As far as I know (in all my years of networking experience) this is true. There could be some magic here, but I kinda doubt it.

2. It's called a MAC Address. Virtually all network devices have one.

3. Nice. Yeah, things sometimes work a bit different on Macs. You just kinda got-to-get past all that.

4. I think ... if you can't set it to fixed, it's always on auto.

5. Yeah, I read those in the manual before I posted my first message to you this afternoon.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 12th, 2018 21:00

@gary_keslingwrote:

1. I found this at Avid's DUC site:

"I'm assuming that the C24 is the same as the Control 24 here and maybe I shouldn't. But the Control 24 has no IP address, nor does it need one. DHCP is not used in any way. Access to the unit is done at the MAC address layer (layer 2 - TCP/IP is layer 3)." 

2. Does that info help?

3. Sweetwater asked me to call tomorrow and they want to try to help some more.

4. I spent about $12,000 on this upgrade 

1. Yeah, I sent you the link to it.

2. No, not really. I already explained why.

3. Sounds good, that should take care of it.

If you end-up needing my further assistance, try answering the questions in my 09:42 PM post.

4. Right, I came to that conclusion earlier. That's one of the reasons I'm trying to help you. This Avid-C24 is a unique (3rd party peripheral ) machine and most support-people are not going to help you with it (or will just say it's broken or unsupported), just because of what it is.

April 12th, 2018 22:00

sorry, I have looked a few times but can't find your 9:42 post but I can answer a few questions. I am only running Windows defender and I turned the firewall off  a few days ago.  I am sorry but I can't find a way to ping the IP on the C24.  Have not been able to find an IP at all. on the board, under Utilities, I can find the Ethernet info and here it is, if it will help.

Ethernet:

Unit Name: c24

Unit number 117

Frame Type 885F

Ethernet ID: 00:AO:7E:AE:00;75

I have restarted all aspects several times.  Downloaded newest drivers for everything, every device that is listed under device manager. I have replaced every cable in the network system. I have hooked up to my 2 other pro tools systems, one is a mac pro running Snow Leopard, one Windows ME. Keeps coming back to the same thing. it connects to both of those but isn't found from the Windows 10 unit. 

thanks, and I really mean it, thanks for trying to help me. I can tell that you have really put some time into looking around for me. I have been digging into this since a week ago Tuesday. Of all the issues that I worried about, this was not one of them since I always had good luck, using the C24.

All other issues came together rather easily, The a/d converters and interfaces, the midi issues. the software and plugin installs. All went well. Just this last issue.  But Thanks again. When I get it licked, I'll post how.

doesn't make sense to me but you might know what it means.

firewall disabled. I have tried a few dozen times to follow the  info on Page 17 of C24 pdf. Can't do it since it gives me this error message.  "An error occurred while trying to establish Ethernet communication. " that is my main issue.  I can connect to internet.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Connect both the Area51-R5 and Avid-C24 to Router with ethernet wires. Reboot all 3 machines.

Be sure you can reach the Internet in a browser with Area51-R5.

For now, you should probably disable the Windows Firewall. It's not a big deal because you are on "the safe side" of your Router.

See page 17 of PDF C24-Guide.

https://www.avid.com/~/media/avid/files/products-pdf/c24/c24_guide_41362.pdf

Run Pro-Tools. Follow the steps for Ethernet scanning and setup.

No Events found!