Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2021 04:00

Aurora R10, failed CPU upgrade from 3700x to newer 5600x

FYI -

A guy on YouTube tried to upgrade his Aurora R10 CPU to the newer 5000 series with the new 2.x BIOS installed but failed because the new BIOS still does not support the new Ryzen 5000 series CPU's on the Aurora R10.

Anyways here his video on YouTube attempting the upgrade.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

March 6th, 2021 07:00

"So i definelty estimated the dell sold new R10 5xxx CPU with real X570 motherboard to the end user so far."

No, as stated in all the Dell informational materials it's B550a.  You're just encountering a software recognition issue with CPUz.  Same deal with the v1  board.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 6th, 2021 10:00

There possibly may be some hesitance on the part of Dell because if they release a BIOS version that makes the older R10 models upgradeable to Zen 3 . . . every AMD fan boi will be getting a 5950X to do the CPU swap . . . and then wanting to do a warranty exchange because they nuked their mobo in the process. How much Red Bull can you spill on a mobo and keep it functioning?

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

March 6th, 2021 12:00

While that is true, that is true every time you open up the case to do a hardware swap.

You can pooch it at any time and try to claim warranty.

If it is the exact same motherboard, just a different bios, and they block it on purpose than I would say that's a terrible decision they made. The whole point of these systems is upgradability down the road, without running into warranty issues.

Having the buy a complete new system when the only difference would be the CPU, that's a pretty bad deal.

Now if they modified the motherboard, maybe have a better VRM section, or maybe made some other upgrades, than at least you can argue you get a better PC.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 6th, 2021 13:00

@Vanadiel    If it is the exact same motherboard, just a different bios . . .

The motherboards have different model numbers . . . whatever that means

Ryzen.JPG

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

March 7th, 2021 01:00

For what i can see on the cpuZ, if you put aside the serial number and the fact that you don't get the AGESA. all the rest is the same, same reported chipset, same revision of the motherboard, even same half-cut of the pcie lanes.

For a new motherboard i would have expect at least a full pcie x16 to use the full potential or the resizable BAR.

For me and maybe i am paranoid, but i think they just modified the SN to lock the AGESA upgrade, so like that they can use the same bios image for both r10, with just a check of the SN of the motherboard.

It reminds me a bit of the Nvidia broadcast you could only install if you have a RTX, but if you look around the files, you can deactivate this checking and make it run on GTX cards.

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

March 7th, 2021 10:00

You would need pictures of the new and old board to verify that, but yes, it looks like they use a different model # but the same bios upgrade file.

They are likely the same board with a different Agesa version.

Because Dell digitally signs the bios files, making this work will be very difficult.

27 Posts

March 7th, 2021 11:00

Where did you get information dell use the B550a motherboard for new R10 5000? I don't thing this is not recogization issue for CPU-z, at least they use the different mother board is ture for the new R10 5000 CPU,Coz the model name was different

@r72019 

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

March 7th, 2021 11:00

All the revisions are the same, indicating it's the same board. However, without pictures from someone who owns an R10 5000 from the actual motherboard, there's no way of knowing.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

March 8th, 2021 10:00

"Where did you get information dell use the B550a motherboard for new R10 5000? I don't thing this is not recogization issue for CPU-z, at least they use the different mother board is ture for the new R10 5000 CPU,Coz the model name was different"

It's on their sales page and the service manual. 

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/gaming-and-games/alienware-aurora-ryzen-edition-r10-gaming-desktop/spd/alienware-aurora-r10-desktop

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/alienware-aurora-r10-desktop/alienware-aurora-ryzen-setup-and-specifications/chipset?guid=guid-9735fcab-1a62-42bb-a7cd-04a062aef546&lang=en-us

Also the B550A is an OEM-only board Dell got it made to their specs. There's simply no way they switched it mid-generation to x570.  That would have been a major price bump and a new generation PC. They don't change the motherboard to different chipset and keep model name number the same.  And then not tell anyone and instead market and sell with entirely incorrect specs.  That's simply not done. 

2 Posts

Just want to report something interesting. I ordered the R10 Ryzen with the 5600X CPU. I planned to swap the 5600X to my main PC and put the 3600 on the R10. To my surprise it doesn't boot at all. The power button (Alienware logo) flashes yellow lights twice and once, and keep looping. I checked the BIOS version and it shows 2.1.0. Will probably update to 2.1.1 and give it another try.

Also sad to know that the R10s with 3000 CPU can't upgrade to 5000. Not sure how and why Dell did this. But let me know if anything you want to check on the 5000 R10 machines and I'll try my best to help.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

Current US sales page (accidentally linked the Canada page above, but specs are the same there too): 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/alienware-aurora-ryzen-edition-r10-gaming-desktop/spd/alienware-aurora-r10-desktop

b550a.png

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

March 8th, 2021 11:00

What they could have done though is install a larger flash ram for the bios, so it can hold more data.

That could be a possible reason why they cannot upgrade the "old" Ryzen 10 boards. It might not have enough bios flash ram to hold the new Agesa version.

I know when Zen 2 came out, some of the older MSI and Gigabyte boards had to compromise and remove the fancy bios graphics and revert to text based Bios menus so they could fit the new Agesa version into the existing flash ram of the board.

They could also have upgraded the VRM section, or made some other tweaks. 

Or they could be in the process of doing the qualification tests to release an updated bios version to support Ryzen 5000 on the first generation R10 mother boards.

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

March 12th, 2021 10:00

Personally, they can remove the graphic bios, because lets be honest it is useless, and give me the possibility to upgrade to 5000 series.
Or just tell me that if i want to put a 5000, my 3000 will not work on the motherboard anymore, then i can chose.

55 Posts

March 14th, 2021 18:00

Just to pour some gas on this fire what will happen when Dell has to update the bios with the new version of AGESA that AMD is releasing this week to fix the usb dropout issue.

In theory that new version should support the 5000 series processor's but will Dell try to change that so people can't upgrade. 

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

March 15th, 2021 03:00

I asked that question last week in another thread, and it has received no response.

But you are correct. If they have to push this update, they will need to push a new Agesa version.

No Events found!