Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 13th, 2018 21:00

My Aurora-R6 - The Adventure Continues

This new thread is a continuation of this old thread (that got locked during forum migration).

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Aurora-R6-Hard-Lockup-and-crash-while-gaming-SOLVED/td-p/5504111/page/3

The Aurora-R6 has not had a single crash in about 11 months now. Not really anything note-worthy in about 4 months either.

We usually just let it sleep and wake itself between productivity use, long gaming sessions, and scheduled daily Macrium Backups. It has a Local Account setup to auto-login on boot (yeah, I know, not real secure, but whateva). :Smile:

However, all that changed last-night.

It looks like it auto-installed some Windows Updates and rebooted itself to finish installing them. No biggie ... happens all the time. Now, I wasn't around to see this first hand but when my wife went to use it ... it said something about "Hope you enjoy your new version of Windows". It did not auto-login the usual Local Account. Looks like it stumbled a bit. Of course, she called Tech Support (me).

I found the machine mostly blank looking. All customizations and personalizations were missing. It appeared to be logged-in as a new user (but there is only one setup). I asked her who she logged-in as and she wasn't sure ... no one really (she was kinda upset by the whole event). So, I just shut-down and rebooted (it's so quick on this machine). In about 20 seconds I was again looking at the usual/normal desktop. All the Updates in the History looked fairly small and minor. Very strange, but all fixed now. :Smile: 

In fact, I wasn't even going to post about it until I saw this. Apparently, three of us Aurora-R6 users had a problem with Windows Updates last night.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Thermal-Controller-error-startup/m-p/6063206#M3116

Looks like mine survived it the best. If you look back at the old thread for 5-17-2017, there is a potential for Command Center's Thermal-Controller to cause problems during updates. However, that was a big/major-update. It's never happened since, and I'm not sure it happened last night either, but something happened (too big of a coincidence).

I went-ahead and switched the Thermal-Controller to Manual-Startup (it's not like the UI has to be running for the settings to be in effect).

Here is some other related info:

- Currently running Windows-10 Pro v1709 (installed 11-3-2017)
- Set to update other Microsoft products with Windows
- Branch set to Semi-Annual Channel Targeted (consumer quick)
- Sign-In Options/Privacy/ use my sign-in to auto-finish updates
- BIOS is still on v1.0.5
- Command Center is still on v4.6.20
-   - Inactivity Timer: Never Go Inactive
-   - Keep Status Zones on during Go Dark
-   - Enable 3rd Party AlienFX Access
-   - Thermal Controller to Manual and then a reasonable Curve for each user-controllable fan 
-   - Thermal Controller each Fan linked to "CPU Sensor"
- In AlienFusion, Power-Profile is set to "High Performance"
- In AlienFusion "Always Ready Mode" is turned OFF
-   - Now you can right click on AlienFX icon in TaskTray, and set Inactivity Timer to Custom/Never go Inactive.
-   - The monitor, case lights, and (especially) FANS now stay ON while a benchmark or stress-test is running.

Remember these Alienware Command-Center tips:
(These tips have served me well, for like 8 years [for Aurora R1 and R6]).

- Never upgrade CC from inside itself (always clean-install a fresh version)
http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/alienware-aurora-r6-desktop.html
- Always completely uninstall old version and REBOOT, before installing any version
- After downloading the installer, I always use Windows-Explorer to "UnBlock" the file before using it.
- Before installing, it would not hurt to disable your Anti-Virus (old tip but might still apply for some).
- Try disabling Window's Fast-Startup feature (for more reliable CC "state-detection"). If you boot from a SSD, you won't even notice a difference.
- If AW-CC is crashing (or displaying strange Dot-Net trace messages) at startup, try shutting-down machine, un-plugging from wall, and pressing the Power-Button a few times to dissipate all "flea-power" before restarting machine.

While the older Alienware desktops had actual (rather large) MIO-Boards:
https://dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Command-Center-2-7-25-0-Will-not-display-Temp-Readings/td-p/5532170
Now-days, the MIO-Board hardware is mostly virtualized in software. However, you can still run ePSA, and get some good data on at least the fans. From my notes:

----------------------------------------------
Someone from the forums wanted to know about Asetek Liquid-Cooler Testing
This should work for Aurora R5/R6/R7

F12 to run ePSA Diagnostics
First page tests take about 5 minutes.
After it finishes Testing, it should say everything Passes.
It will ask about running Extended Tests that take 4 hours
- If you don't expect Memory failure, you can skip RAM Tests
Click arrow button (bottom right) to go to second screen (detailed Test Results)
Notice all the components that tested good
System Health/ Fans / CPU-FAN is actually the impeller-RPM of Asetek Liquid Cooler pump
- Pump Impeller RPM is constant/fixed and should be between 5280-5350 RPM
TOP-FAN (radiator-fan): around 1160 RPM
FRONT-FAN: 450 RPM (PCIe slots & cool-air intake fan)
HARD-DRIVE: 26c
CPU Thermistor: 35c-54c
-----------------------------------------------

Dell Rockstar

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Mark as Accepted Answer" on any post that answers your question best.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 13th, 2018 20:00

Yeah ... I have Dell Update and Alienware Update (long since) uninstalled.

But for some reason, I started getting Windows Notifications from SupportAssist about new Dell Updates the other day.
- I do not want this because I like to do my own BIOS and file updates ... thank-you very much :Indifferent:

Then, I noticed in Windows Reliability Report:
It was Level-10 (perfect) for months prior to 5-2018.
About 30 days ago, started getting Daily red-error crashing (Background-Task Stopped Working) of various SupportAssist files. Took me down below Level-5 (poor).

Uninstalled:
Dell SupportAssist
Dell Product Registration
Alienware Customer Connect

For now, I left Installed:
Dell Digital Delivery
Dell Foundation Services

EDIT:
6-Month Update 

All is good here.
Other than nvidia.com drivers, everything I need seems to come from Windows Update.
If you want an actual BIOS update, just go get the next one from support.dell.com or ftp.dell.com .

I can also do without it's Diagnostics. I use Dell's ePSA (F12 on boot) instead, along with different Windows-based utilities (mostly CPUid stuff, Crystal disk-utils, and OCCT ).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 27th, 2018 09:00

Upgraded Nvidia GTX-1070 drivers to much newer (but not latest) Fall-2018 WHQL Nvidia drivers
(from Nvidia.com ) .

I'm not using GeForce Experience, as I don't want to end-up being a "Nvidia driver tester". IMO, they should call it "Nvidia Beta-Tester Experience"   :Smile:  .
I just like to find a 100% working/stable video driver, and stick-with-it for a while (and not worry about it).
It's also well-known that older video cards often run better on slightly older drivers.

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/137727

Version: 399.24 - WHQL
Release Date: Mon Sep 10, 2018
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 497.45 MB

Windows: Scale = 100% , 2560x1440 (Native) ... both "Recommended".
Nvidia Control Panel: Let 3D Apps Decide / PhysX = Auto (should auto-select GTX-1070)

Programs and Features: old (existing)
Nvidia Graphics Driver 391.25 399.24
Nvidia HD Audio Driver 1.3.36.6 1.3.37.4
Nvidia PhysX Driver 9.16.0318 9.17.0524

Installing Nvidia Graphics Driver v399.24 WHQL
(No GeForce Experience or 3D-Vision ... keep it lean)

Select Custom
Selected only Graphics Driver, HD Audio Driver, and PhysX Driver.
Select option for Clean Install
Rebooted computer when finished

Nvidia Control Panel says v399.24 is installed
- Left it set on "Let the 3D Applications Decide" for now (about as generic as you can get)
- Left PhysX Processor on Auto-Select (since it said Recommended). It correctly shows that "GTX-1070" is being used.
- Hide Tray-Icon and Context Menu options

Result:

After many weeks of long gaming-sessions (mostly WoW and Fallout-4) and lots of general use ... this driver is turning-out to be 100% working/stable.
I say v399.24 should work fine on any GTX-10x0 card, in a Windows-10 64bit system.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 29th, 2019 22:00

This morning, found the Aurora-R6 on a sad-face Blue-Screen-of-Death (watchdog violation, IIRC).

No big deal I thought. This thing is super-stable (might be it's second BSoD ever).

But I look at the Windows Reliability report and I see all these Critical Errors (in red) over the past 10 days, dragging my score down to 5 . Excluding one random one, there was lots of both of these.

- Dell (Alienware) Digital Delivery
- Microsoft YourPhone

Isn't it nice when programs you don't want or need start giving you problems

So, I uninstalled Dell Digital Delivery. (I bought no extra software from Dell anyway). 
For Microsoft YourPhone : Go to Settings/Privacy/Background-Apps/ and turn OFF "Your Phone".

Hopefully back to:
Leaving on 24/7/365 (on nice APC-UPS-Battery of course)
Running lots of apps and games during the day. Stable and trouble-free.
Monitor sleeps after 10- minutes. Whole computer sleeps after 1 hour.
Wakes itself for updates and reboots itself as needed.
Wakes itself at 3am , does a Macrium Backup (with Verify), then goes back to sleep.

... that kind of thing. 

EDIT (1 week later).

Yes, that fixed it. 

No more red/critical errors in Reliability Report and score is rising back to 10 again.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 9th, 2020 14:00

https://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-3d-vision2-wireless-glasses-us.htmlhttps://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/155645/en-us

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/155848/en-us

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/155645/en-us

DCH 441.66 version depends on which card you have.

Microsoft Pushed out 441.87

Feb 2020 driver is 442.19 WHQL

Older cards are not supported.final driver Release 418 on April 11, 2019 GeForce Game Ready Drivers will no longer support NVIDIA 3D Vision or systems utilizing mobile Kepler-series GPUs. Critical security updates will be available for these products through April 2020. A complete list of Kepler-series GeForce GPUs can be found here.

Those looking to utilize 3D Vision can remain on a Release 418 driver. Our software that enables the use of 3D gaming with 3D TVs, 3DTV Play, is now included for free in Release 418.  It is no longer available as a standalone download.  Our 3D Vision Video Player will continue to be offered as a standalone download, for free, until the end of 2019.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/128699/en-us

418.91  WHQL

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/142736/en-us

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/142738

https://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-3d-vision2-wireless-glasses-us.html

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 9th, 2020 14:00

I'm not one to update video driver a lot, but looks like it is time to again.

Observations:
I see 4 new recent entries in Windows Reliability Report that say
- Hardware Error / LiveKernelEvent
In game WoW,
- In launcher, game prompts that "video-driver is out-dated"
- Also getting multi-second screen-freezes sometimes

So, I upgraded Nvidia drivers to much newer Game-Ready WHQL one.
While not the absolute latest, it seems very-stable. I'm also noticing there is a separate/alternate version of it available for Studio use.

You can get info and versions from Nvidia Control-Panel and also DXDiag.
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit (v1903)
Video Hardware: Nvidia GTX-1070

Driver WHQL Package: 441.66
Driver: 26.21.14.4166
Type: DCH
WDDM: 2.6
Date: 12-5-2019

Select Custom
Selected only Graphics Driver, HD Audio Driver, and PhysX Driver.
- (No GeForce Beta-Tester Experience or 3D-Vision ... keep it lean)
Select option for CLEAN INSTALL
Rebooted computer when finished

Windows: Scale = 100% , 2560x1440 (or your Native) ... both "Recommended".
Nvidia Control Panel:
- Let 3D Apps Decide / PhysX = Auto (should auto-select dedicated Nvidia-card)
- Hide Tray-Icon and Context Menu options

After a week, no more errors or game problems.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 10th, 2020 12:00

Current Driver is now 442.19

Version: 442.19 WHQL
Release Date: 2020.2.3

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/156780/en-us

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/156781/en-us

[World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth]

[DirectX 12]:

The game crashes when switched from DirectX 11 to DirectX 12 mode. [200574934]

Another notable addition in this release is that more G-Sync Compatible monitors are now supported, which means you should be able to use variable refresh rates. Joining the list of certified G-Sync monitors are the following three models:

ASUS VG259QM
Dell AW2521HF
LG 34GN850

[The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine]: The game may crash when a user reaches a specific cut scene. [2726931]

[Maxwell GPUs][OpenCL]: SETI@Home shows driver TDR occuring on Maxwell GPUs using OpenCL. [2739609]

[Call of Duty Modern Warfare]: Streaming of gameplay using OBS will randomly stop. [2743477]

[Battleye][Low-Latency Mode]: Launching Battleye with NVIDIA Low Latency Mode set to Ultra may cause DWM to reset. [2775906]

[SLI+G-SYNC Stutter]: User may experience minor stuttering when using NVIDIA SLI in combination with G-SYNC. [2778783]

[Doom (2016)]: The game crashes when launched on GeForce 600/700 series (Kepler) GPUs [2791124]

[NVENC]: Memory leak occurs. [2805384]

[Multiple Apps][SLI][G-SYNC]: Stuttering and drop in frame rate occurs during gameplay with SLI and G-SYNC enabled [200566678]

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 3rd, 2020 11:00

As mentioned before, I don't use Nvidia's GeForce Experience or update my GTX-1070 video-driver much. I tend to find a stable/working one and run it for a while.
Since Feb.2020, I have successfully been running v441.66 .

Running Windows-10 Pro 64-bit v.2004 now-days. 

Recently, Windows-Update tossed me an updated Nvidia WHQL driver, so I went ahead and let it install.
Seems to be working fine in Apps and gaming (mostly WoW now-days).

Driver Package is version 451.67 WHQL (DCH)

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
DirectX version: 12.0
GPU processor: GeForce GTX 1070
Driver version: 451.67
Driver Type: DCH
Direct3D API version: 12
Direct3D feature level: 12_1
CUDA Cores: 1920
Core clock: 1506 MHz

I haven't checked, but it is likely also available at nvidia.com for a manual-install.

No Events found!