Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

February 2nd, 2018 04:00

R7 Aurora crashes after coming out of sleep mode and AlienFX constantly disables itself

My new R7 Aurora desktop crashes after coming out of sleep mode.  Additionally, AlienFX  disables itself and all my zone lights go off constantly.  I've read about these issues on other forums and it seems Dell hasn't resolved them to anyone's satisfaction.  I received my computer Jan 9th, 2018 and the problems occurred on day 1. I have spent over 4 hrs online with Dell tech support and they haven't been able to solve the problem! But I will admit the two techs I've worked with worked hard to correct the issues.  I contacted my credit card company yesterday and have filed a disputed claim so I don't have to pay for the computer until the dispute is resolved. I highly recommend others do the same. I suggest calling and talking to a representative at your credit card company vice filing a claim online with them. Anyway, this action will get Dell's attention and they'll solve the problem! Why ? Dell doesn't get paid or has to return funds if your dispute isn't resolved in a timely fashion.

1 Message

February 5th, 2018 07:00

Hi! I had the exact same problem(s) with my R7. Updating the Nvidia driver directly from Nvidia's website (more recent than Dell website) made the AlienFX problem disappear. Downgrading BIOS v1.0.5 to v1.0.2 (after contacting Dell premium support) solved the sleep mode issue. Hope this also works for your machine!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 7th, 2018 14:00

Hi @Workbench75,

What have you tried so far?

February 9th, 2018 14:00

W-Z, thanks for your reply!  I tried it, it didn't work on this computer.

February 9th, 2018 14:00

I spent another 4 more hrs with Tech Support two evenings ago, now over 8 hrs total.  They insisted on reinstalling Windows 10 Professional, reinstalling all the associated driver software for all devices, and reinstalling all the software associated with my Dell purchase.  In layman terms, restoring the computer back to the original configuration in which it was delivered.  Guess what, the same problems still exist!  I wonder if tech support will still insist this is a software problem or two?  It’s been over 24 hrs since I emailed them that the same problems still exist.  No response from them yet.  I think they hate to omit this computer is a 🍋!  But lemons happen in life; I don’t hold that against them.  What I do hold against them is that they refuse to replace this computer so far with a working one!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 12th, 2018 08:00

Send me a PM with your Service Tag, so I can review your case. 

7 Posts

March 21st, 2018 17:00

Hi,

I have the same issue.  Were you guys able to come up with a solution?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 12:00

@dtliaowrote:

Hi,

I have the same issue.  Were you guys able to come up with a solution?

Nothing productive ever happened here in this old-thread.

I suggest you start a new one.

24 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 17:00

Had the same problem with an Aurora R7 that I ordered on February 14, 2018. No one in Dell tech support was able to help, so I returned the PC.

There are some threads on Reddit going back to last year in which R7 owners report this sleep/crash problem, and no one has a solution.

7 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 18:00

Hey Tesla,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I don't know much about computers.  Can you please walk me through on how to set my BIOS?  Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 18:00

Likely just a bad driver. Maybe even a BIOS glitch ... releasing a new model every year with the newest (and un-proven) motherboard and everything else ...  is certainly not helping things.

I've also seen some questionable default BIOS settings, and strange choices of pre-loaded driver-suites and software.

That's why using:
- a mature (but maybe not the latest) BIOS
- some reasonable BIOS settings
- a clean/fresh load of Windows-10 64bit install
- lean drivers

Usually works great.

But people think it's too much work, not their responsibility, or they want to save the seemingly "magical Dell pre-load" ... so it never gets done.

1 Message

March 24th, 2018 11:00

After waiting a month for the new r7 rig I spent 3.7k$ on... it finally arrived a few days ago. Of course it would have this exact issue of going into sleep mode and only recovering after a hard boot.
Until a fix for this nonsense appears, I simply went into power options.. disabled sleep mode. Turned on my screen saver...

I’m not going to spend thousands of dollars so I can sit for hours with tech support on a fishing expedition. Fix your drivers.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 24th, 2018 15:00

@dtliaowrote:

Hey Tesla,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I don't know much about computers.  Can you please walk me through on how to set my BIOS?  Thanks!

I don't have an Aurora-R7 here. I suggest you give Alienware Tech support a call. They can help you fix your computer.

If after trying ... if Sleep-Mode is still causing trouble, they can show you how to disable it (as a temp work-around) ... including from BIOS if needed.

24 Posts

March 25th, 2018 09:00

> Fix your drivers.

I'm not convinced this is just a driver problem, and that's why I returned mine. When the PC crashed, there was never an error message or a Windows blue screen detailing the source of the crash. Instead, the PC would just shut down and go into a reboot. The Windows Event Viewer never provided any helpful information.

It's also concerning that this problem has been around for at least four months and no one from Dell has issued a response to multiple reports.

I might still consider buying an Aurora some day, but not before Dell has announced a fix for this.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 25th, 2018 10:00

@Pexwrote:

> Fix your drivers.

I'm not convinced this is just a driver problem, and that's why I returned mine.

I think "fix your drivers" is an over-simplification. :Smile:

Sorry it didn't work-out for you. But remember, there are hundreds of these machines being built and shipped-out every month. Maybe even thousands this late into production cycle (if finally now world-wide released) .

With it's cutting-edge hardware (and it's required new and un-proven drivers and firmware in all the components) ... this happens occasionally ... usually early in a new machine's production-cycle ... causing a "rough release".

Whether the problem was:
- Firmware/BIOS (in motherboard or some other component)
- Core Driver
- Dell Value-Added custom software pre-loaded
- Microsoft driver or their OS code
- Defective newly designed parts from OEM supplier (very rare, but they get revised is needed)

... it's been resolved by now. Sometimes a particularly bad (vendor supplied) driver release ends-up in the software-image they pre-load into all the machines. For the early-adopters ... that's what warranties are for. 

You see this situation a lot these days with any complex computerized machines ... appliances, electronics, and cars for example. Every few years they make a major re-design and it's a little worse. 

Here is an example of a new (fully loaded) Aurora-R7 that is working fine:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-bios-update-v-1-0-8/m-p/6044743#M2718

7 Posts

March 25th, 2018 11:00

Yeah.  I was thinking of returning it but the specs are better than a new Imac so I decided to keep it and just shut off sleep mode until I find a fix.  So far, no issues at all.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

No Events found!