Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

March 22nd, 2018 16:00

Aurora R7 bios update v 1.0.8

I ordered my new R7 on 3/12/2018 and received it 1 week later! I was pleasantly surprised.

Intel i7 8700, GeForce GTX 1070, 16GB RAM (in 2ea 8GB DIMMs as recommended by others on this board), 850W PSU and liquid cooling, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD. Also new U2717D monitor.

I updated a few drivers from the Dell website: chipset/Intel serial IO and the serial ATA/Intel RST driver and management console. I had no problems.

But it also wants me to update the BIOS to v 1.0.8. Currently it has v 1.0.7.

I have read about a lot of problems (bricking the mobo) when installing a new BIOS. Should I be concerned? Should I wait until any problems are resolved? Or can I go ahead with the update. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Paul

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 18:00

Sounds like v1.0.7 is working good for you ... I would run with that for a while.

Don't fix what's not broken.
Don't "fix it" until it's broken.

Aurora R7 BIOS v1.0.8 Enhancements:
- Enhanced Thunderbolt PCIE add-on card support --- You don't have one.
- Enhanced Auto Power On support. --- You (and no one else) actually uses this feature

32 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 18:00

Thank you for your recommendation, Tesla1856.

I thought the BIOS update also had something to do with the Meltdown and Spectre problems and was critical to install. But I will hold off on it until some future time.

Paul

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 19:00

@pmg435Twrote:

Thank you for your recommendation, Tesla1856.

You are welcome Paul.

Good to see you got that nice config we talked about ... even the 27inch UltraSharp.

Enjoy your new computer system.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 23rd, 2018 13:00

@pmg435Twrote:

I received the Huntkey PSU, but in the few days I have it running I haven't had any strange noise problems. So keep my fingers crossed.

Paul

Should be fine. All they had to do was build the 850w Huntkey with a better $5 fan. They have all had plenty of time to make that happen.

32 Posts

March 23rd, 2018 13:00

You were a big influence in helping me decide on my system configuration and the reasoning behind all the choices. Only concern I have is the PSU. I couldn't specify a Delta unit. I received the Huntkey PSU, but in the few days I have it running I haven't had any strange noise problems. So keep my fingers crossed.

Paul

No Events found!