Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

4 Posts

August 17th, 2019 17:00

Upgraded HDD to SSD in aurora R7 but command center won’t work

So I recently bought the Samsung evo 860 and set it as a bootdrive was able to install windows 10 on it but alienware command center ( where you control fan speed lights) isn’t found in applications and I tried to open it from HDD but still does not anyone have any ideas tried calling support and told me that I could not be help since I did not come in the pc originally. Anyone have any ideas

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 17th, 2019 18:00

AW-CC  should be one of the last things you install. 

Uninstall existing version, reboot, and clean install the proper version .

What Version are you trying to install on your Aurora-R7 ?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 17th, 2019 19:00

AWCC is an optional software program and does not get automatically installed when you do a clean install of windows on a new boot drive.  If you want AWCC, you would need to download and install it here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=f8p3v&oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-aurora-r7-desktop

The AWCC program originally installed on your old HDD will no longer work/boot up with windows because you have a new boot drive.  Software installed on your old HDD will not automatically transfer over to your new boot drive.  You can just wipe/format the old HDD and use it for storage once you're all set up. 

4 Posts

August 17th, 2019 23:00

I notice there is 2 versions of Alienware command center one for keyboard and games and the other for setting fans speed and changing color on tower also monitors temperature which would this one be ?

2.2K Posts

August 18th, 2019 01:00

AWCC installed by itself will only be for RGB lighting and the games library. You will need to install OC Controls to get the fan speed tuning.

That said, AWCC + OC Controls installation can be very finicky. I had them installed on my R8 before, then I decided to do housekeeping by uninstalling a bunch of Dell software including AWCC + OC Controls. After that, I can only install AWCC but OC Controls kept failing with some cryptic error code I no longer remember. Some people online were pointing to conflicts or missing MS Visual C++ libraries but none of the workaround I tried worked. Eventually I used Dell's OS recovery tool to do a clean install of my system with the factory image. That allowed both AWCC + OC Controls to be installed.

If you can install AWCC, you should load it up, make sure you're connected to the Internet, and it should prompt you to install OC Controls if everything is ok.

175 Posts

August 18th, 2019 02:00

If you still have the original HD, just clone it to the new SSD - you won't need to reinstall anything.  I have done this successfully many times using Seagate DiscWizard - only proviso is that there must be a Seagate drive in the system.

My last clone was 2 SanDisk SSD as Raid 0 to Sabrent NVME SSD with a Seagate SSHD attached to USB via adapter.

No Events found!