Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

5 Posts

May 9th, 2020 11:00

X51 R?, dim light won't start

I decided to change the thermal paste on my desktop now its refusing to turn on, I have had this situation once before and it fixed itself, I can only assume I did not connect a power cable or something because I had to remove everything to remove the motherboard because the heatsink was screwed in from the right side. Is it possible to provide a picture and some of you could point out where I went wrong, I'm crushed this is what I use to work and it comes at the worst possible time too. warranty ran out years ago.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

May 9th, 2020 12:00

assuming you did not remove cpu from socket so bent socket pin is out of the question, you have a No POST issue if no video on screen. Make sure 24/4 pin power connectors are properly attached (double check, pull out and push in again), remove gpu riser cage from PCIe slot and connect monitor to on board iGPU video port, remove both ram, put only one ram back in DIMM 1 (test this step w each ram). Also reset CMOs jumper on motherboard.  There are two small green jumpers next to DIMM. One is probably for clr CMOs the other for clr pwd.  And make sure front panel 9 pin connector is properly connected to rainbow colored header on motherboard.  Pic of motherboard.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

May 10th, 2020 22:00

that could be fan is not spinning fast enough to pass bios start up test, or current drawn by fan is too weak. 

5 Posts

May 10th, 2020 22:00

I fixed it, power cable was not connected to the motherboard and usb was in the wrong place, now its saying cpu fan failure when I can see it working fine and its not overheating, what is that about.

5 Posts

May 14th, 2020 11:00

Ill check it out, any recommended programs outside of Bios. I see 3 fans listed in SpeedFan, Fan is doing 800RPM, second 2000RPM and third between 2200 and 4200.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

May 14th, 2020 23:00

HWMonitor gives fan rpm too.

5 Posts

May 31st, 2020 14:00

HWInfo also gives me simmilar numbers, could it be faulty reading or because I have 2ssd and 1 hdd installed. I'll remove the hdd and see.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

@help_ed wrote:

HWInfo also gives me simmilar numbers, could it be faulty reading or because I have 2ssd and 1 hdd installed. I'll remove the hdd and see.

This should have no impact on the fan readings triggering an error at startup. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

And by "swapped", I mean plugged into the wrong header. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

@help_ed wrote:

Most likely you swapped the CPU fan with a different fan (top or front).  The Dell BIOs is often programmed to recognize specific fans for specific headers, mix them up and it will tell you something is wrong. 

5 Posts

May 31st, 2020 21:00

Thank you ill check it out.

No Events found!