Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2016 13:00

3 day old x51 R3 smells like a burning plastic

First post, a few minutes ago, my room started to smell like a burning plastic and I'm sure it's from my alienware x51 R3, my pc didn't shut down itself, or shutoff itself rather. I have GTX 970, i7-6700, 16GB of ram, 1TB 7200rpm Toshiba Hard drive, 330W power supply. All drivers are updated. I know the case looks great, but it's not as great as I thought it would be when it comes to cooling the rig.

Is there any alternate case and power supply for my alienware x51 R3? Do you have any suggestions? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 31st, 2016 15:00

Hi,

Would you be able to open the case and check where exactly is that smell coming from?

You can try running a stress test on your computer through SupportAssist. In case you don’t have the programs installed, you can download it here. You could download HWMonitor to check the temperatures on your CPU. Also, make sure you’re running on the latest BIOS. If needed, you can update it here.

Regarding your case and power supply inquiries, that is the only case that we offer for it. And the power supplies that this computer uses are 180 W, 240 W, or 330 W, however the GTX 970 requires the 330 W AC adapter.

5 Posts

June 1st, 2016 03:00

Hi, I already did the stress test twice, the other day and yesterday, All the results are passed. My BIOS is updated to 1.2.6 and all drivers are update. 

HWMonitor at the first 2 minutes of  booting up the pc http://imgur.com/a/F7QRM

Cities Skylines at HIGH http://imgur.com/a/xq2YV

GTA 5 at HIGH

" target="_blank"> http://imgur.com/a/LYNXr

I opened up the case and the smell seems like coming from the CPU, though GPU and CPU are hot.

5 Posts

June 1st, 2016 03:00

Hi, I can open the case, but I can't separate all the components to find where the burning smells is due to I might not be able to put them back together. Anyhow, I already did use HWMonitor and updated my BIOS to 1.2.6, every driver is updated. I just booted up my pc and this is my HWMonitor  

Cities Skylines at HIGH settings 

GTA 5 at HIGH settings  

I tried the stress test and the full test, and everything was passed.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 1st, 2016 08:00

Thank you for the reply,

The temperatures on your computer seem to be doing completely normal, even during game play. Is there maybe a piece of plastic or something inside the computer that could be causing that smell? Here is a video that could help you get on the inside of the computer.

5 Posts

June 1st, 2016 09:00

Well, I opened up my case just right now, I didn't see any plastic inside. I just hope nothing is burning inside and I hope that burning plastic smell is just normal because my x51 is new.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2016 07:00

Ok. In that case just keep an eye on the computer’s temperatures, make sure it does not overheat, because as of right now the temperatures on your computer are completely normal.

No Events found!