Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 17th, 2009 20:00

A06 Aurora/Area-51 Command Center

* Go here to download it
* Once installed, restart the PC
* Post your testing results in this thread

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

49 Posts

March 9th, 2010 11:00

The only complaints I have left are the "active" fins and the fact that the temps and cpu fan speeds are suspect. The fins don't open with the % of any fan speed, they only work manually. The cpu pump and the cpu cooling fan speeds never change to any significant degree no matter how hard I work the computer. That doesn't make sense to me. Also, if you go into the CMOS setup, you can read the actual cpu temp which reads about 42c when resting. That does not jive with any of the zone temp readouts, so it would seem that we are not seeing the cpu temp in command center but only areas inside the case. 22 to 25 degree c is about room temp.

I'm trying to revive a thread that should be sticky because the problems still exist and I haven't seen a new update released. I'm currently having the exact issues as AlienJimmy above. The temp readouts are incorrect and I think that may also have something to do with the automatic venting problem that everyone is experiencing. For the most part the lights are working properly and when the system is shutdown the vents close which is a plus. We need a new command center update that addresses these problems.

Chris can you please bring this issue up again at your next meeting and also check on the status of the next update?

Thanks,

kiax0001

44 Posts

The only complaints I have left are the "active" fins and the fact that the temps and cpu fan speeds are suspect. The fins don't open with the % of any fan speed, they only work manually. The cpu pump and the cpu cooling fan speeds never change to any significant degree no matter how hard I work the computer. That doesn't make sense to me. Also, if you go into the CMOS setup, you can read the actual cpu temp which reads about 42c when resting. That does not jive with any of the zone temp readouts, so it would seem that we are not seeing the cpu temp in command center but only areas inside the case. 22 to 25 degree c is about room temp.

I'm trying to revive a thread that should be sticky because the problems still exist and I haven't seen a new update released. I'm currently having the exact issues as AlienJimmy above. The temp readouts are incorrect and I think that may also have something to do with the automatic venting problem that everyone is experiencing. For the most part the lights are working properly and when the system is shutdown the vents close which is a plus. We need a new command center update that addresses these problems.

Chris can you please bring this issue up again at your next meeting and also check on the status of the next update?

Thanks,

kiax0001

I can confirm that I see the same issues as you do. It seems that most often it is "only the squeeky wheel that gets the grease" so it may be worthwhile bring this up more often.

BTW where in the CMOS do you see the temperatures. Guess I'm blind because I could not find it.

Regards,

Roy Berger, Alienware Area 51 system

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

Yep. Should meet with them thursday. Will bring it up again.

44 Posts

March 9th, 2010 14:00

Roy, here is how you get to it.

Press F2 on boot up to enter the CMOS.

Select Frequency/Voltage control

Select Overvoltage config

The actual real time cpu temp will be displayed on the top line of the CMOS screen.

Thank you I will give that a try next time I boot.

Roy

29 Posts

March 9th, 2010 14:00

Roy, here is how you get to it.

Press F2 on boot up to enter the CMOS.

Select Frequency/Voltage control

Select Overvoltage config

The actual real time cpu temp will be displayed on the top line of the CMOS screen.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 9th, 2010 17:00

What happen to BIOS update? I thought you said it should be here by now?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 9th, 2010 21:00

I have not received any word on a release date.

4 Posts

March 9th, 2010 23:00

Chris,

Thank you for the recent replies and for keeping this issue alive.  I have been following this thread for months now and suffering with the various ACC "ills" since December.  Through trying the myriad fixes and patches I am down to this:

System fan (radiator fan on top) running on high (very loud) with System fan sensor reporting 0 RPM!

Current ACC version is A06 with AlienwareAlienFXTester reporting version 1.02.04 on the board, lights and vents working as advertised. If this was your rig, what would you do? Continue to wait or initiate a fix through phone support and on-site techs?  Not really all that crazy about getting phone support involved with the sad reports everyone else has posted here.  The swapping of boards and hardware seems to have caused more problems than they have fixed.  Thanks for any input you care to provide.

Joe

Alienware Area-51,  Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 960 @ 3.20GHz,  6GB (3X2GB)  PC3-10660 (1333 MHz) RAM

BIOS A03,  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, 600GB RAID 0 (2X300GB VelociRaptor  SATA-II, 10KRPM, 16MB Cache HDDs)

1TB SATA-II, 3GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 10th, 2010 08:00

Joe-ITO,

I doubt it is hardware. I would wait.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 10th, 2010 21:00

I have not received any word on a release date.

@Chris, I was wondering isn't Dell losing $$$? For parts replacement, tech fees, and as well as system exchanges?

So which is more better do you think?

Get the problem fixed with engineers/programmers as soon as possible? or doing continuous parts replacement, tech fees, and as well as system exchanges which means losing $$$, customer, bad rep and so much more. It's been over 4+ months now since I have heard of this problem and  no fix yet. Are they even looking at the problem or trying to figure out a way to fix it?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 11th, 2010 06:00

Compared to how many we sell and never hear from again, the users on this thread could get multiple system exchanges and it wouldn't cause a blip in the big picture. I am doing what I can.

3 Posts

March 12th, 2010 00:00

Compared to how many we sell and never hear from again, the users on this thread could get multiple system exchanges and it wouldn't cause a blip in the big picture. I am doing what I can.

I know what you mean Chris, though the people don't want to have to have to send away their $3k-$6k+ product to replaced with something that'll probably have the same thing/problems, these are the people who care.. and this isn't a rant at you Chris, all of us in this thread know you're doing your best.
I'd say most users that buy Aurora/Area's from Dell have no interest in what temps are going on inside the case aslong as it does what they want it to do, play games and heavy program usage. (many of us could have gone for a self built product and saved a lot of money but we want the best built from the supposedly one of the biggest and best computer manufactor).
The lighting feature is one thing but for the Aurora ALX one feature is the active venting, this is shown as a highlight feature and for most of us doesnt work.. the product should work as it should stated and from the box, it doesn't.
I don't want a replacement re-furb, I want the thing I paid for to work.

7 Posts

March 12th, 2010 11:00

It's really simple. The product is not as advertised. There is a known defect in the interaction of hardware and software controls for both the fan speeds and the active venting. Wether or not this is affects the performance of the machine, how many people complain about it, or the cost of the replacement. The issue is still that we've all paid for something that clearly doesnt work and is covered under the warranty of the product. I dont care about the pretty lighting. I care that when I spend over £4000 on a PC that it works exactly as advertised to me.

Every technician sent out to replace either the IO board or the motherboard has actually left the PC in a worse functioning state than when they arrived.

I've been very impressed with the responsiveness of Dells 24hr tech support in Slovakia (EU customer). Whilst they havent solved the problem; they have at least responded promptly and proffessionally.

On the other hand I can say nothing polite about Dells sales and customer services team who have shown nothing but total incompetence in sorting a replacement machine. 4 weeks after telling me the replacement is ordered and on the way I call up to find out that something went wrong and they cant order the machine because it's speced with 3yr warranty. So they need to sell it to me as a 1yr warranty then upgrade it. The machine is now delayed a further 2 weeks because no one knew it was stuck in some order que. On top of that I am told 1600MHz RAM is no longer available. So i am offered a downgrade to 1300MHz with no refund! In return I get "accidental damage" cover.

Accidental damage to a 58kg PC that sits under my desk? What do Dell think people do to these machines... Yes I carry mine under my arm to work every day like a laptop. DUH. And how is the price difference between 1300MHz and 1600MHz just the value of some insurance?

On top of that Dells sales team (both in Ireland and India) have been utterly incompetent. Failure to return calls, reply emails. Failure to place orders. Complete lack of understanding of the problem or the technology they are selling.

I might be pleased about getting a replacment in a few weeks it if works. But seriously I'm considering never to buy any Alienware PC again so long as it's owned by Dell. I guess Dell wont care anyways since we're just a blip in the overall scheme of the amount of defective PC's they can get away with selling to customers who wont know any better or cba to complain.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 12th, 2010 19:00

It's really simple. The product is not as advertised. There is a known defect in the interaction of hardware and software controls for both the fan speeds and the active venting. Wether or not this is affects the performance of the machine, how many people complain about it, or the cost of the replacement. The issue is still that we've all paid for something that clearly doesnt work and is covered under the warranty of the product. I dont care about the pretty lighting. I care that when I spend over £4000 on a PC that it works exactly as advertised to me.

Every technician sent out to replace either the IO board or the motherboard has actually left the PC in a worse functioning state than when they arrived.

I've been very impressed with the responsiveness of Dells 24hr tech support in Slovakia (EU customer). Whilst they havent solved the problem; they have at least responded promptly and proffessionally.

On the other hand I can say nothing polite about Dells sales and customer services team who have shown nothing but total incompetence in sorting a replacement machine. 4 weeks after telling me the replacement is ordered and on the way I call up to find out that something went wrong and they cant order the machine because it's speced with 3yr warranty. So they need to sell it to me as a 1yr warranty then upgrade it. The machine is now delayed a further 2 weeks because no one knew it was stuck in some order que. On top of that I am told 1600MHz RAM is no longer available. So i am offered a downgrade to 1300MHz with no refund! In return I get "accidental damage" cover.

Accidental damage to a 58kg PC that sits under my desk? What do Dell think people do to these machines... Yes I carry mine under my arm to work every day like a laptop. DUH. And how is the price difference between 1300MHz and 1600MHz just the value of some insurance?

On top of that Dells sales team (both in Ireland and India) have been utterly incompetent. Failure to return calls, reply emails. Failure to place orders. Complete lack of understanding of the problem or the technology they are selling.

I might be pleased about getting a replacment in a few weeks it if works. But seriously I'm considering never to buy any Alienware PC again so long as it's owned by Dell. I guess Dell wont care anyways since we're just a blip in the overall scheme of the amount of defective PC's they can get away with selling to customers who wont know any better or cba to complain.

+1

33 Posts

March 12th, 2010 19:00

Just wondering if you could comment on if new systems are being shipped with this problem, or they've figured it out on that end at least, I just ordered one on the 10th(area-51)and really don't want to play the exchange game 

No Events found!