Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2014 20:00

AURORA R4 NOT SHUTTING DOWN PROPERLY!

Hello,

So I am having a problem with my Aurora R4 that I purchased in Feb 2013. The problem is that my computer stays on even after it shuts down. This only happens once every 4-8 times after shutting down. I press the shutdown button and after windows shuts down my cpu fan and everything is on. The lights on the chassis are turned off and the vents on top close, but my cpu fan is turned on and if I try pressing the button for the dvd drive, it opens up. The monitor is showing no signal. I just shut it down earlier today, and it shutdown windows, and then beeped for 2 continuous seconds and then proceeded to restart. I am 99% sure that I pressed the shutdown button but it restarted. This has never happened before. I am getting frustrated and am worried there could be a serious issue. My cpu is overclocked and I will upload a picture of the bios settings. I don't think that its the cpu because I have had these settings for several months now and never had an issue. I also replaced the stock liquid cooling system with a corsair h80i about a month ago because I had the problem where the liquid was building up in the heatsink. It has been working perfectly fine. Please help me.

Thank you

This is the build list that I made. Not sure about the power supply in my system, but I looked it up and the 875W is said to be the one the aurora r4 comes with. I can provide the service tag if required.

6 Posts

January 12th, 2016 20:00

Hi, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I recently upgraded my R4 to windows 10, and now it has the exact same problem as you describe.

Yep. I figured out that it was a driver causing my computer to stay on even after it shutdown. It was the motionjoy driver which I used to connect my ps3 controller to my computer. The driver was preventing the computer from shutting down even after the operating system shutdown. Did you install anything recently? Do you have any unknown devices in your device manager? Maybe one of your devices drivers isn't updated for windows 10 and it's causing this issue. Let me know how this works out for you. I'll do my best to help you out with this problem.

I believe I might have used BlueScreenView to determine the exact driver that was causing the issue. Even though I wasn't getting a bsod screen on my monitor, it created the dump file which I was able to view with this application. I got rid of motionjoy and switched to a different software/driver.

The link for the program: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

3 Posts

January 13th, 2016 04:00

Hi. In my case, i disabled the "Fast Statup" feature in power options, which seemed to work :) Thanks alot for the reply though :)

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 20th, 2014 21:00

Hi S_F4,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS and Video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below and click on ‘Get drivers and downloads’then download the BIOS from BIOS section and Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

Please let me know if this helps.

6 Posts

April 20th, 2014 22:00

I have already tried re-installing the bios 2 times. I currently have A11. I have already updated the gpu drivers. I tried downgrading to nvidia 335.23 driver and still no luck, so no i went back to 337.50 beta driver. I just did a cmos battery reset, and also reset it using the jumper. I'm not sure that this is the issue though. I will test and see, but hopefully it works. Please let me know if you have any other ideas, or if you know of any other solutions.

Service Tag:<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed as per privacy policy>

6 Posts

April 21st, 2014 00:00

I have already tried re-installing the bios 2 times. I currently have A11. I have already updated the gpu drivers. I tried downgrading to nvidia 335.23 driver and still no luck, so no i went back to 337.50 beta driver. I just did a cmos battery reset, and also reset it using the jumper. I'm not sure that this is the issue though. I will test and see, but hopefully it works. Please let me know if you have any other ideas, or if you know of any other solutions.

Service Tag:<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed as per privacy policy>

***UPDATE***

I have been using it and shutting it down every few minutes, but I am still getting the same problem. Resetting the cmos/jumper didn't solve the problem. Please help. Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 21st, 2014 01:00

First, remove OverClock and Default the BIOS settings. This must be done if nothing else.

Second, what is CPU fan? Do you mean Corsair h80i radiator fan? You have deviated from stock config. Before, Asetek unit was connected to SYS_Fan (System Fan).

Still, it is strange about power. My guess is general system instability and un-able to ShutDown cleanly.

If you want to prove MB is still good, remove parts to make machine as very basic as possible. 

6 Posts

April 21st, 2014 02:00

Yes I mean the H80i radiator fan. The Asetek cooler was really poor quality and started having the problem where the liquid builds up in the heatsink. I opened it up and it was there. It was causing the fan to go to 100% when running a game, and temps were 90°C+. I decided to replace it with corsair h80i. The h80i is connected to the usb 1 connector at the bottom of the motherboard (underneath the gpu) and there is nothing connected to the top on the sys fan connector. I don't think the h80i is the issue, its been running perfectly fine for about 2 months now. I changed the oc to "load oc 2 settings" but ill try to disable and restore bios to default like you said. I also have the boot set to Legacy mode. Its been like this for a month now, since I installed my ssd and moved windows to it. I don't think thats what is causing this, but im not sure. 

1.8K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 19:00

I would recommend you try a System Restore just to completely rule out the software part. Then try what Tesla1856 suggested and disconnect all but the main components. 

It's unlikely that the Boot Mode would cause this, but in case another setting in the BIOS is causing the problem I also recommend restoring it back to default settings. You can always change the Boot Mode back to Legacy if the system doesn't boot afterwards. 

3 Posts

January 10th, 2016 08:00

Hi, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I recently upgraded my R4 to windows 10, and now it has the exact same problem as you describe.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 10th, 2016 11:00

You might want to start your own thread.
Try turning on/off Fast Startup.
Also, check your Event Viewer log at shut-down time to get hints.

No Events found!