Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2012 12:00

Additional Memory for Alienware Aurora

Hi,

we have a 2 year old Aurora with 6 GB of 1333 MHz (3 x 2 GB) Tri Channel Memory.

We would like to up it to 8 GB.

Do we simply remove one of the 2 GB sticks and replace it with a 4 GB stick?

If so, which slot is preferable?

If not then what are our options?

Thanks,

Walter

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 18th, 2012 17:00

Hi BaiterOne,

Dell Alienware Aurora supports maximum of up to 24 GB DDR3 SDRAM of 1066 MHZ, 1333 MHz and 1600 MHz XMP DDR3 clock speeds.

Presently your computer is using Tripple-channel symmetric mode 2-2-2 memory on DIMM 1, DIMM 3 and DIMM 5 which are matching memories.

I see that you want to upgrade to 8 GB memory on your computer by adding 4GB memory module. You will be able to use Tripple-channel asymmetric mode, in which all channels are populated but with different memory amounts. This configuration yields the performance of a single channel of memory with the combined memory size of the three channels. So my advice is to retain the 2GB memories on respective slots and add the 4GB to any of unused slot or if you want to use Tripple-channel symmetric mode then you will have to purchase 3 x 4GB to replace it on DIMM 1, DIMM 3, and DIMM 5 by referring to the picture below.

6558.Alienware aurora memory.jpg

Note: DIMM 2 slot is the nearest to the processor and DIMM5 is farthest from the processor.

Please let me know if this helps.

8 Posts

November 19th, 2012 03:00

Ravi,

thanks very much for that answer.

Walter

No Events found!