Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2015 13:00

Alienware 14 Clean Install Win 7 Home Premium using Black Disc Issues with Win Update

So I tried to clean install with a win7 Ultimate Disc and it didnt like that so I used the Recovery Disc and all went well.  I installed drivers in there order as specified on a few videos besides the wifi as I needed internet.  All drivers seemed to go good and all.   

Now when I went to windows update it does its search and usually on most other laptops it takes about 20minutes to a few hours to search and find the updates it needs to install on a fresh install but my issue is my laptop just shuts off.  It shuts down as if I was holding the power button.  It hasnt had this issue before and by other testing it doesnt normally do this.  I am wondering if anyone might know my problem.   The laptop isnt that old and it was serviced not long ago with all new internals like power adapter cable new mobo and other stuff so I wouldnt think its the laptop shutting itself off because getting too hot. 

If anyone can help please let me know.   I dont know if its a driver I installed in wrong order which I doubt it as I did all in order except the wifi and bluetooth as I needed those first.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 18th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

So does it shut down completely (no lights or fan activity)? Are you missing any drivers or showing any errors in Device Manager?

6 Posts

December 18th, 2015 12:00

It just shuts down as if I was holding the shut down button for 3 seconds it shuts off completely as if it were like unplugged.  And no all drivers installed good and I am not missing anything.  I was able to install all drivers in order and successfully except the wireless wifi adapter drivers I installed that first though as I needed it to get the updates.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 21st, 2015 15:00

Hello,

Try running a CPU stress test using the Support Assist tool to confirm if the fans respond during the test (if you do not have Support Assist, click here for the download link). Follow the steps below to run the stress test.

• Download and install Dell Support Assist
  • Open Dell Support Assist
  • Click Checkup
  • Click Scan a Specific Device
  • Click System Devices
  • Select the CPU Stress Test option and Run it.

Let us know if the system shuts down during the test. 

6 Posts

December 21st, 2015 16:00

Or could a corrupt windows install do this too?

6 Posts

I'll run that but as I said before this laptop is not old at all and was serviced with all new parts just recently so I dont see it being a hardware problem at all since this never happened before and only seems to happen during the windows update screen after about 20-30 minutes once its done searching BAM laptop is completely off without a shutdown procedure JUST off.  I think it was an issue with my install of windows maybe corrupted somewhere.  But ill do what you said and post the results.  Thanks for any and all help.  If this doesnt work im going to try to clean install again.

I was also curious why on Alienware laptops they have you do drivers in order?  Any why would the put your wireless drivers and ethernet controller drivers at the end.  How else am I supposed to get drivers without being online???? so I had to do the wireless/blue tooth drivers first before I could do my chipset drivers since I needed internet.

6 Posts

Yes it shutdown by itself again.  All i know is my parts were serviced by a dell tech new mobo and a bunch of other things.  But my battery wont charge past 25 percent so I know my battery needs to be replaced.  So I hope it wasnt one of the parts that were replaced and just hope its my battery just is bad.  I do have it plugged into wall while doing these things but maybe my battery is the culprit or my parts they gave me werent new or were bad remanufactured parts.  I rarely use this laptop and never checked it much.  

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 23rd, 2015 07:00

Hi,

The system is most likely having a overheating issue. If it were Windows related, it could crash and restart but not shut down entirely, that is usually hardware related. I assume the Dell support site placed the network drivers last on the list because if you were able to get to the Dell support site, you probably already have the network drivers installed.

It wont cause any issues of you install the network drivers first or last but it is important to follow the order for the other drivers to avoid any installation issues. How long ago were the replacements done? Is your system in warranty?

6 Posts

December 24th, 2015 17:00

I think your right too bad when it was in warranty they changed a bunch of stuff but after they were done I just put the laptop back into a laptop bag and didnt pull it out until now.  I am kinda ashamed at DELL as they replaced the mobo and it being a new mobo it shouldnt have these issues.  I wish I would have checked it thoroughly after they replaced the parts.  Now they wanna charge me 129 to diagnose or 430 for send in repairs.  Bahhhh

No Events found!