Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 27th, 2015 16:00

Alienware 15 m.2 ssd : PCIE or SATA?

Hello,

I tried to do some research but couldnt find a clear answer on this. Is the m.2 slots in the new Alienware 15 compatible with pcie m.2 ssds? or just sata m.2 ssds?

Example: Can i use the new Samsung XP941 m.2 ssd?

12 Posts

June 25th, 2016 09:00

juda17837's answer is not quite correct.  The alienware 15 R2, as well as the alienware 17 R3 which both have the same motherboards, have two m.2 slots.  One of the two slots supports both Pcie X4 and SATA III as the m.2 interface can support either sata or Pcie.

The second m.2 slot supports ONLY sata III and/or Pcie x2.  

To repeat, one of the slots supports 4 lanes of Pcie, the other supports only 2 lanes of Pcie.  Both slots support Sata III.

This means you can use the 850 EVO sata drive in either slot, or the 950 pro in either slot, however, in one slot the 950 pro will ONLY have 2 Pcie lanes available to it so it will not work at its top speed.  In the other slot it will have 4 Pcie lanes available to it and will work at its top performance.

The above has been confirmed time and again on the Notebookreview forums under the alienware 13/15/17 threads.  You can find the details about which slot is which there.  

The m.2 slot labeled 1 is the 4 lane Pcie m.2 slot, the slot labeled 2 is the 2 lane Pcie slot.  Either slot will support SATA III.

As far as I am aware, no one on the Notebookreview forums has yet tried out the new 1 TB m.2 drives offered by Sandisk (the X400) or the one offered by Transcend, both being SATA III drives, but very likely either of those will also work in either m.2 slot.

1 Message

July 7th, 2016 00:00

For anyon interested, on this post you can find my benchmark for an Alienware 15 R2 with Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVMe M.2 256GB

https://goo.gl/k67uZR

Hope not too late, for who, like me was interested to the argument!

727 Posts

January 27th, 2015 16:00

SATA.

I'm not sure if the Samsung M.2 will work.

727 Posts

January 27th, 2015 17:00

Alienware, in the US, offers a recovery USB for a charge of $20.

But you can make a recovery media with Alien Respawn. That's how you would do a clean install.

4 Posts

Once I get a new M.2 SSD and install it, how do I move the operating system over? Do I have to do a clean install? How would I do that without the Windows disk? I believe alienware no longer offers windows reinstallation disks.

109 Posts

It should work, you just won't get the PCIe speeds, you'll get the SATA3 speeds. The M.2 specification provides four PCI Express lanes and one SATA 3.0 port, exposed through the same connector, allowing use of both PCI Express and SATA storage devices in form of M.2 cards. Essentially, the M.2 standard is a small form factor implementation of the SATA Express interface (which provides support for PCI Express 3.0 and Serial ATA 3.0, with the addition of an internal USB 3.0 interface. Only problem is that it looks like Dell used this connection but on only on the SATA 3 bus instead of the PCIe bus which breaks the standard. But long story short, it should work, just not at PCIe 3 speeds.

Also, if you don't have recovery media, make your own. AlienRespawn will allow you to make a DVD or a USB Key.

66 Posts

January 28th, 2015 13:00

HIGHLY recommend the respawn. The USB media is ONLY the OS (no drivers etc...).

4 Posts

January 28th, 2015 15:00

I decided to just buy a Samsung 850 evo drive to replace the default mechanical drive with. I'll do what you all suggested and use the respawn software to create a recovery.

I'd still like to confirm by dell if PCIE speed is supported via the M.2 slots. What would be the best channel to ask that?

66 Posts

January 30th, 2015 21:00

I just replaced the internal w/ a Samsung 850 EVO and there was absolutely 0 issue if you are curious. You could talk to tech support and hope you get someone that knows what's up. 

If you are truly curious here is the m2 module that shipped. Not gonna use it anyways. The 1TB 5400 drive is just a Western Digital Blue.

alienware 15 m2 drive.jpg

7 Posts

April 7th, 2015 07:00

I am also interested in using a standard Samsung 850 drive. The only issue that I see is that my Alienware 13 did not ship with the SATA connector/adapter. I only have the board for the m.2 drive. Did you guys have to purchase it separately?

April 20th, 2015 22:00

Msata is only supported. I learned that the hard way.

23 Posts

April 21st, 2015 12:00

Msata is only supported. I learned that the hard way.

Can someone confirm it's only SATA III speed and we'll not get PCIe x4 Gen 3.0 speed. I thought I'll get one SM951, to get 2 GB/s with that for C drive.

109 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 20:00

The reference guide... Under manuals... Shows interface of SATA.

And it was confirmed by a Dell guy here, I think Jose.. Have to find the thread again..

23 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 23:00

Um. If you could share the link that would be gr8.

I saw somewhere these M.2 slots are connected to PCIe, so didn't loose hope.

BTW, I just did compare PCIe x4 3.0 vs. SATA III, see below, not that substantial diff. for cost/GB if you see.

M.2-SpeedCompare-min.png

109 Posts

April 23rd, 2015 02:00

No Events found!