Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2015 13:00

Alienware 17 R2 (2015) NEVER ENDING PROBLEMS

It has been only a few days since I swapped my 5 year old XPS 17 for an Alienware 17 R2.

Since paying almost double the price that I did for the XPS, I expected to have no problems at all with the system.

Turns out there are more than a few issues with the device that no one so far can give me a solution for:

1. AW Command Center crashes when toggling the TactX tab and shows a couple of error screens. I installed both the first and the latest versions available for my device, did a complete drain in between, installed all the windows updates and still nothing. IE I cannot use any of the extra buttons on the keyboard.

2. The touchpad scroll is reversed on Google Chrome and jumps from top to bottom when lifting the fingers off the scroll. Works OK in all other browsers but I only use Chrome and do not wish to switch to any other for such a bug.

3. I do heavy work on my machine which involves CAD modeling, 3Ds MAX rendering etc. These operations, as well as any max-performance setting game overheat the laptop. The fans have not once kicked in since starting the laptop for the first time. After 10 minutes of rendering, you physically cannot touch the underside of the laptop. I have installed SpeedFan and other fan detection software programs and they do not detect any fans in the system.

4. Upon attempting to contact customer support, the machine service tag could not be verified, although the software is detecting the same one I see written on the back.

When I purchased this machine, it came highly recommended along with the excellent customer support from Dell and Alienware. It might be that this is an unfortunate case but it is extremely frustrating as it seems that I keep coming up with more problems than there are solutions.

If anybody else is having the same issues, although I would not wish it on anybody, please respond in line so we can move these problems forward.

April 10th, 2015 13:00

UPDATE:

Regarding point 3

I reinstalled the BIOS driver and, while flashing the software, the fans kicked in at what I think was maximum power. After the laptop restarted, they went back to the same state of inertia. 

• 

2.7K Posts

April 10th, 2015 14:00

I apologize for all the inconvenience, send an email to awsocialmedia@dell.com so we can review your case; please add the service tag and a brief description of the problem.

April 14th, 2015 11:00

I have sent an email to that address on the 10th of April. I have not received any reply or any confirmation that my message was received. Is the social media email active at the moment?

2 Posts

April 21st, 2015 08:00

Hey Vlad,

Have you had any luck with the Fans?

I have updated my BIOS, noticed that the fans run at maximum speed, but after the update is done they go back to seemingly never turning on.

The bottom of my laptop is untouchable as well, though temps say they are between 80-90, I never hear the fans go on. If I put my hand by the vents I cannot feel any air moving.

Are these fans ever going to turn on or is it the intention of dell to keep the components running very hot so they fail sooner making the end-consumer replace his product?

If that's the case, I won't be buying Dell when that occurs.

2 Posts

April 21st, 2015 10:00

My temps idling right now are about 55c. Though I guess that is acceptable, I have seen them at about 70-80c under load and still no fans. I wish there was a way to set new standards for fan speeds. Id prefer my system to never go over 80c, even under load. I don't mind loud fans on a system like this, I know things are working

April 21st, 2015 10:00

It does seem that 90% of the time they are not working but sometimes they do kick in. Not on full power as you and I have experienced when reinstalling the BIOS driver, but a little bit non the less.

I think that I will get the laptop checked soon at a Dell repair center and see if they can tell me more about this. My temperatures never go above 65 degrees even when rendering for hours. That is a good thing.

23 Posts

April 21st, 2015 12:00

It has been only a few days since I swapped my 5 year old XPS 17 for an Alienware 17 R2.

Since paying almost double the price that I did for the XPS, I expected to have no problems at all with the system.

2. The touchpad scroll is reversed on Google Chrome and jumps from top to bottom when lifting the fingers off the scroll. Works OK in all other browsers but I only use Chrome and do not wish to switch to any other for such a bug.

3. I do heavy work on my machine which involves CAD modeling, 3Ds MAX rendering etc. These operations, as well as any max-performance setting game overheat the laptop. The fans have not once kicked in since starting the laptop for the first time. After 10 minutes of rendering, you physically cannot touch the underside of the laptop. I have installed SpeedFan and other fan detection software programs and they do not detect any fans in the system.

If anybody else is having the same issues, although I would not wish it on anybody, please respond in line so we can move these problems forward.

I got my AW 15 4k Touch version few days back from costco.
I too have the same touchpad issue and it's horrible. Also, when we use two fingers to move up/down, it kind of shows a animated BOX as well which is kind of annoying and distracting. Not sure you've got any update on this touchpad issue, as it's not working properly. I tried updating the touchpad update from AW downloads, still not working fine in chrome.
And, the heat is the 2nd major issue. Laptop back is really hot, not sure fan is working or not. I've tried SppedFan, but that gets frozen, not sure y. I've enclosed CPUD screenshot below, if someone can tell whether fan works or not itll be gr8, don't know how to find that out. Even the top panel gets hot. After reboot/power-on, even if I don't open any app, it gets hot at the bottom.

23 Posts

April 21st, 2015 13:00

I got my AW 15 4k Touch version few days back from costco.
I too have the same touchpad issue and it's horrible. Also, when we use two fingers to move up/down, it kind of shows a animated BOX as well which is kind of annoying and distracting. Not sure you've got any update on this touchpad issue, as it's not working properly. I tried updating the touchpad update from AW downloads, still not working fine in chrome.
And, the heat is the 2nd major issue. Laptop back is really hot, not sure fan is working or not. I've tried SppedFan, but that gets frozen, not sure y. I've enclosed CPUD screenshot below, if someone can tell whether fan works or not itll be gr8, don't know how to find that out. Even the top panel gets hot. After reboot/power-on, even if I don't open any app, it gets hot at the bottom.

1 Message

August 16th, 2015 17:00

hello its dead easy to fix roll back to A00 bios done fixed fans problem soeasy never ever in alienware life update the BIOS as all have problems just leave the fisrt one A00 so easy go to dell site and download A00 BIOS install thats id done ;-) all mine work fine now dell as not good with bioses at all

No Events found!