Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2016 11:00

Alienware Aurora R3, Upgrade graphic card HELP!

Hello, i have an Alienware Aurora R3, and i want to upgrade the Graphic card from Geforce GTX 560 TI to EVGA GTX 760 4 gb, if its possible.
I have the normal specs:
Graphic card: Geforce GTX 560 TI
PROC: Intel core I5 2300
RAM: 6 GB RAM

Is it possible for me to upgrade? I dont know how many PSU Watt my computer have because i dont know how to check it, but please help me with this problem. I dont realy need EVGA GTX 760 with 4 gb but GTX 760. :)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 17th, 2016 14:00

It should work if you have 875w PowerSupply, and it has the proper-pinned power-plugs natively.

Since it's Aurora-R3 you better get one with a Dual-BIOS switch that supports both Legacy and UEFI Hybrid.

Aurora R3 is maybe just EFI (not true uEFI) so it can't decide which it needs. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get one with a switch on the video-card.

Reportedly, some newer MSI & Sapphire cards have the switch.

You might have to un-snap the Aurora's plastic video-card air guide if new card exhausts into case.

I also have this from my notes that someone wrote:

Just wanted to say that the R9 380 does work. But you have to buy a hybrid BIOS graphic-card like "Sapphire R9 380 Nitro". The Sapphire cards are able to switch the BIOS boot from UEFI to legacy BIOS. There is a small "switch" at the corner of the card you can use. It works fine without any issues.

No Events found!